Styling Spray

Review of "L'Oreal Studio Line Matt & Messy Salt Spray"

published 21/06/2015 | SirJoseph
Member since : 08/03/2012
Pro Bottle Shape, Softens, Lightens
Cons Bottle Design, Smell, Stickiness, Effects, Price
Staying power
How does your hair feel after use?
Does it smell good?

"Go Tousle Yourself, L'Oreal"

L'Oreal Studio Line Matt & Messy Salt Spray

I don't use hair products besides shampoo. I don't bother styling my hair with gel, wax or mousse and haven't done so since my early secondary school days - applying what must've been like an industrial strength glue I used to stick my fringe up, accompanied by a couple of minutes off very hot hairdryer. In case you can't tell, my hair is fairly long, thick and wavey and does whatever the hell it wants to most of the time. No, I can tolerate brushing it to the side (with my hands) or leaving as is (when short). Although when it's too long I'm not adversed to straightening it should I need to 'Fix Up, Look Sharp.' Slightly ironic that I won't fork out pennies for product but resort to electrical gadgety to straighten things out. So as you can imagine, I was slightly surprised to receive this among a load of other small presents (and another L'Oreal product soon to be reviewed) for Christmas from a slightly estranged auntie and uncle. They must really think I look like hell/in need of some chemical scalp dousing or something. Come to think of it, it's not surprising at all.
What it claims to do

Part of it's claim is in the name of 'Matt & Messy' but underneath that is a subtitle saying "Shine-free salt spray" and "TOUSLED LOOK" - why you would want an untidy hairdo or why it's in capital letters is beyond me. Cautions and Ingredients aside, it also has some style advice for you in 2 handy steps: 1. Spray on dry or damp hair and ruffle for instant texturising effect. & 2. For tousled waves, define sections and twist them with your fingers. It even throws you an extra tip of "To give a more wild and voluminous feel to your tousled look, crumple your hair into your hands while spraying." It also says it "ADDS EXTRA LIFT AND DEFINITION" plus 3 bullet points of info:
  • SHINE-FREE FINISH
  • NO GREASINESS
  • NO WEIGHING DOWN
Use

I gave my hair a liberal spraying of about 5 or 6 blasts, mainly on the dry fringe. It has a quick time period where you can briefly get a bit of styling done but in all honesty there isn't much difference between this and water - at least when it comes to staying power. It does make hair feel a bit lighter and softer too but running your hands through your hair makes you feel all the hairs as if just cleaned. It might provide those with a medium length haircut with some styling but not if hair is thick and certainly not if it's curly, otherwise it'll do it's own thing like it always does. There are parts of my hair that feel stuck together too - clearly where a lot of the liquid had accumulated. It leaves a squeaky, slightly sticky feeling in your hands after application but it slowly starts to dissipate unless you just wash your hands right after. It smells odd - a slightly sweet, professional salon smell, mixed with other random chemicals that form that standard 'gel smell'. Others can smell it to when they come within your vicinity for the first hour or so. That smell will remain on your hands too.
Design, Price & Availability

I don't like the bottle design. Sure the bottle shape is alright and mimics that of a tennis ball, but the actual outer visual bit is boring and corporate in a grimy beige grey and strong red rectangle. I do like that you can see how much is in there via the bottom and wrapping being almost translucent. It contains 150mls worth of spray. Boots sell it for £3.79 which I think is overpriced and may be using its name for a better selling point (its 29p less over at Tescos online store). Other reviews on their site seem mixed. They're a lot kinder than mine. Not worth the money, effort, or brand. Relieving that it was a gift! I should've known before I tried it anyway because I'm certainly not the kind of guy to want to look untidy or as L'Oreal love to say, 'Tousled' - I'll stick to a classic, contemporary, refined look ta.

• euphie published 22/06/2015
    vh :o)
  • Expo published 22/06/2015
    Great write up
  • Secre published 22/06/2015
    So it's kinda...water. With salt.