Review of "L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse"

published 11/07/2015 | Picklewest
Member since : 29/01/2015
I have just learnt the term POW and apparently it's now all over
Pro Gives gloss and volume
Cons Price when not on offer, takes time to get used to how much to apply
Staying power
How does your hair feel after use?

"A great Mousse to Give Gloss and Control"

L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse

L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse

My Requirements

I have curly hair that needs to be controlled. Left to its own devises I would not leave the house it would be so frizzy and mad. I can only style my hair when wet to avoid the frizz. I always apply a serum and then normally apply a hair mousse. My hair is shoulder length and I require a hair product to control my frizz, weigh it down, keep it in control but also add a bit of thickness, gloss and shine.

My Purchase & Price

I am not very loyal to hair styling products in general, particularly not mousses. Of course I have my favourites that I keep going back to but I do like to try new ones and have a variety in my bathroom. I purchased my L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse a week or so ago because it was new in my local Tesco store and on special offer.

This mousse is currently for sale in Tesco at £1.75 reduced from £3.50.

I have looked online and can see the following prices that this product is for sale 10.07.2015.
Superdrug: £3.69
Boots £3.69 (or 2 for £4)
Morrisons £2 reduced from £3.59
Sainsburys £3.50

The general price of hair mousse that I have seen on the shop shelves is just over £3, with own brand hair mouses being around £1. As a result this product is quite expensive when not on special offer.

Ingredients

Aqua / Water, Glucose, Isobutane, Butane, Propane, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Benzoate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Xylose, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Amyl Cinnamal, Parfum / Fragrance

Applying the Product

This product is to be applied to wet or damp hair. I always apply a serum first to ensure an extra bit of smoothness.the bottle reads to vigorously shake the bottle before dispensing the mousse into your hand. This step is very important and not to be missed as I find that even after shaking the bottle the mousse is less air filled and bubbly than what I am used to.

For me this mousse comes out flatter and wetter than I am used to as compared with other mousses which are light and bubbly and airy. I found this a bit confusing at first knowing how much to apply as the product is fairly watery. Normally I would use about 3 medium sized balls of mousse on my shoulder length curly hair, however, because the ball of this mousse come out smaller and flatter at first I was using too much.

I have learn that I need 2-3 fairly small balls of this particular mousse. Because this Boost & Gloss mousse is quiet wet I find it easy to cover my whole hair quickly.

The can details that you should focus on the roots when applying this mousse. I have done this a couple of times and again you need to be careful not to apply too much. For me just applying an even amount through my hair and scrunching the roots gives the best results for adding volume.

Results

As I say above, this mousse is a bit watery and so if you accidentally apply too much then I found my hair went hard and rock like and needed washing out. Apply the correct amount and my hair really looks nice and glossy, frizz free and under control. I even had a comment from a work colleague saying how nice and shiny my hair looked! I found that this mousse can add volume depending on how it is applied, if I simply apply the mousse and tie my hair back no volume is added. Whereas, if I apply the mousse and scrunch my roots and then the rest of my hair a little it does add volume and gives a nice look.

I find that the results of this mousse do last all day and I need no touch up unless it is really windy day out. Some hair mousses tend to clog my hair up and require me to wash my hair often. I find that this mousse rinses out easily the next day ready for my next hair mousse application.

Overall

I really do like this hair mousse. It does exactly what it says, it gives my hair a nice gloss and boosts and add volume if applied correctly. Yes this mousse takes a bit if getting used to as it is a bit watery so difficult to know how much to apply, although I soon got used to this. This product is expensive but I certainty recommend it and will be buying it again when I next see it on special offer.

• RICHADA published 12/07/2015
    Very good indeed. R.
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 12/07/2015
    Great Mousse review too :)
  • hogsflesh published 12/07/2015