L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse

Review of "L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse"

published 23/12/2015 | euphie
Member since : 21/09/2012
Pro Leaves my hair feeling soft with defined curls, doesn't leave hair crispy
Cons Can lost pressure easily
Staying power
How does your hair feel after use?

"Great mousse to give my hair a boost"

L'Oreal Studio Line Silk & Gloss Volume Mousse

I have quite wavy, very unruly hair which normally I tend to straighten if I am going somewhere. However, sometimes when my hair behaves itself, it can look really nice curly so I was looking for a product that could help accentuate the curl and also keep it in place as I find that if I wear it loose and wavy, sometimes the curl drops and it just looks a mess.

I was in Asda and this caught my eye and at around £3 on offer, I figured that it wasn't a great deal of money even if it turned out to be rubbish.
The Product

L'Oreal Studio Line Boost & Gloss Volume Mousse is enriched with hydrolized silk micro-fibres. It claims to add body and shine to hair for a natural looking bouncy boost. It also claims to provide long last hold throughout the day with hair left feeling as soft as silk.

The lightweight formula promises the following:
  • Style without stiffness
  • Gloss without grease
  • Hold without crunch
Packaging

I liked the colour scheme of this can of mousse. The purple shades and the silver can means that this can is eye-catching on the shelf as well. The front informs me that this is a volume mousse and that it adds body and shine to hair and has a strength rating of 7 out of 10.

The back of the can is slightly more cluttered but has all the information that you need about how to use this mousse and also some cautions. Oddly, this doesn't seem to have a use by guide on the site of the can, unlike most beauty products that I have used recently.
How to Use

This mousse works the same way that very other mousse that I have ever used. You should shake the can vigorously before using it, then hold the can upside-down and dispense the mousse into your hand. I find that around the size of an apple of mousse is enough for my hair, although I do have very long hair. I do find it's better to dispense smaller amounts though of the nousse as you can always add mousse but it's harder to take it away if you accidentally put too much mousse on your hair.

There is also a tip on the back of the can where it is recommended that if you want some extra volume, you should tip your hair upside down and use a hair-dryer to add volume, pulling away from the roots to add volume. As I have quite a lot of hair, volume is rarely an issue for me though so I can't comment on how effective this mousse is to add volume. I did have one experience though where I used this on my hair upside down to add curls and somehow ended up looking like I had taken style tips from Sideshow Bob from The Simpsons!
My Thoughts

When you first spray the mousse, you get a fairly strong but fresh scent. It is slightly chemically though but I found that the scent doesn't seem to linger too long on my hair. Although I do describe it as a chemical scent, it's not harsh and is quite a nice scent actually.

It did take a few attempts for me to work out how much mousse to use so there was some wastage initially until I figured out how much I needed. I found that using around an apple sized blob in total was enough for to hold my hair in place. If I needed my hair to stay in place all day, I would have used a little more of the mousse so that I could keep the style in place until the evening. I also found that I had to stop my habit of squeezing until I had enough mousse as there was always some extra came out as there seemed to be a slight delay between pressing and the mousse coming out.

I had put off using mousse for years as I remembered the mousses that I used in my teenage years left my hair looking stiff and crispy rather than curly. With that in mind, I was wary of using this mousse but I needn't have worried. Yes, if I put too much on my hair, it does feel slightly crispy but otherwise, I don't even feel this mousse on my hair. Instead, I am left with defined, soft curls that look natural and hold well. This also claims to add gloss to hair but as my hair is bleached blonde, I find that my hair doesn't really tend to look as glossy as darker hair can when glossing products are used.

While it does say that this adds volume, this wasn't my main goal so I don't really tend to use this mousse on my roots. Instead, I concentrate on the ends of my hair, dispensing a golf ball sized amount of mousse onto my palm and using my hands to put the products onto the lengths of my hair. I then use my hands to scrunch my hair and I leave my hair to dry naturally as I find that sometimes I can end up with frizzy hair rather than wavy hair when I use the hairdryer, and also I like to try to minimise how often I use my hairdryer.

The only issue that I had with this mousse was that after around two months of regular usage and around ¾ of the way down the tin, the mousse started to get quite watery and came out of the nozzle looking a lot flatter than it did at the start. I did find that it still kept my hair in place though so it seems to just look different but still works in a similar way. I'm only mentioning this in case someone uses it and is disappointed or worried when the mousse starts to look watery. Other reviews online also mention that the pressure inside the can seems to disappear around halfway through so it seems it's not just me that has had this experience with the cans of mousse.

I would recommend this mousse to anyone with wavy/curly hair who is looking for a mousse which will help with definition to their curls. I can barely detect it's there in my hair and it does keep my hair looking bouncy and curly for longer. It's also nice knowing that when I use this, I can rely on my hair drying into a style rather than the lucky dip that I normally have when I left my hair dry naturally! It is also quite easy to comb out of hair if you need to, although I tend to try not to comb my hair too much when it's styled and it also washes out easily when I am washing my hair.
Price and Availability

I bought my can from Asda where it cost around £3 from memory. It is available from many other supermarkets are also from chemists such as Boots and price is around £3 - £4 for a 200ml can. This is also available from Amazon, although the price of £4.50 is slightly higher and there also might be postage charges when purchasing on Amazon.

Cautions

As is the case with many other pressurised containers, there are some cautions on this can:
  • This can is a pressurised container: protect from sunlight and do not expose to temperatures exceeding 50°C.
  • Do not pierce or burn, even after can is empty.
  • Do not spray on a naked flame or on any incandescent material. Keep can away from sources of ignition - no smoking as this can can be extremely flammable.
  • Keep out of reach of children.
  • Do not use for any purpose other than for which the product is intended.
  • Solvent Abuse Can Kill Instantly
Ingredients

Aqua / Water, Glucose, Isobutane, Butane, Propane, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Benzoate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Xylose, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Amyl Cinnamal, Parfum / Fragrance

Summing Up

I hadn't used mousse for years before purchasing this and had some slight misconceptions about mousse which were all unfounded with this particular buy. I could rely on this mousse to keep my curls in place all day, rather than my hair going flat by lunchtime. I didn't find that I suffered from crispy hair with this mousse either and it looked invisible on my hair.

I would recommend this mousse to anyone with naturally wavy or curly hair and wanting a product that will help keep curls in place all day without frizziness or crispiness. At less than £4 for a can that lasted me around three to four months with regular use, I feel that this is an excellent product for the price and will certainly buy this again in the future when I need more mousse. I was slightly disappointed when the can seemed to lose pressure but I was still able to use the product, although the consistency wasn't quite as nice as when it was all foamed up, so I will take a star off for that.

• afy9mab published 17/11/2016