Gardens

Review of "La Balade du Pere Nicolas, Plumeliau"

published 28/08/2017 | Nymphypig
Member since : 14/05/2015
Pro Inexpensive , simple healthy activities
Cons Geared slightly more towards younger kids
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"A great value day in the great outdoors."

La Balade du Pere Nicolas, Plumeliau

I've just gotten back from a fantastic two week holiday in Brittany, France, with my partner, daughter, and father in law, as well as my partners cousin and her young family. With Lara, the cousin, having two young children, and we me having a teenager myself it was important to spend at least part of the holiday at attractions that would keep them amused, and having spent several hours poring over trip advisor for a likely attraction, we were delighted to find La Balade du Pere Nicolas, which was not only local to where we were staying at Guern, but also reasonably priced at 7 Euros each entry.

Website

Location

Le Rohic - Saint-Nicolas-des-Eaux - 56930 PlumeÌliau

This is about a 5-10 minute drive from the centre of Saint-Nicolas-des-Eaux, a lovely little town well worth visiting, and in fact I'd recommend doing what we did, visiting La Balade first, then heading into S-N-d-E for a boat ride (£25 euro for an hour, self captained, for up to 8 people) a walk along the beautiful blavet, or a session with a canoe or pedalo, before grabbing a bite to eat at one of the waterfront cafes.

It's relatively easy to find if you put the 'Le Rohic' into a satnav, and is signposted, although, as with many other signposts in France, most of them are actually in the turning you need to make rather than before it. It has a decent sized car park, and entry to the attraction itself is through a building that, honestly, looks kind of like a shed.

Entry Fee

Entry is a flat 7 euros per person over the age of four. So, if you have toddlers, they won't have to pay to get in, but you as the accompanying adult will. There are no discounts for oaps or the unemployed, but there is a family ticket (26 Euros for 2 adults and 2 children, with one euro supplement for each additional child.
The Experience

This attraction is very much based on fresh air, physical activity, education and nature, with a range of activities to suit toddlers upwards. It's essentially a chunk or woodland with various activities in little clearings - the mini train was a big hit with all of us, as that took us on a tour of one side of the park, and gave the kids a chance to look at what they might like to go on.

The younger kids really enjoyed the little pedal powered tractors, whilst the family go carts were a lot of fun to go on. My favourite ride had to be the carousel though, which had about ten different seating options for kids, but relied entirely on pedal power to run, with a large pedal car often occupied by parents or older teens powering the whole thing.

We also enjoyed the animals and plantlife in the park, and something I particularly liked was that almost every tree in the park had a little sign telling you in both english and french what kind of tree it was and it's distinguishing features. The education aspect continued with the animal enclosures (many of which you were permitted to walk into to interact with the animals) bearing similar signs. There weren't a huge amount of animals - I spotted a shetland pony, two small donkeys, 3 sheep, 4 goats, and numerous poultry and waterfowl, but they were all incredibly friendly - the animals would actually come up to you for a pet, or in hopes of food, with one particular donkey standing on the roof of his shelter proudly accepting a pat from anyone who walked past him.

I really liked the simplicity of many of the activities in the park - there were three large shelters with various traditional wooden games in them, which I loved - I enjoyed playing bar skittles, various versions of bar billiards, toss the horseshoe in the clog, four player tabletop hockey, and one game I forget the name of which involved using rubber bands to fire wooden disks into the opponent's goal. All games came with instructions in both English and French, which was very helpful as some of them were unfamiliar to us.

I definitely felt that I got some great exercise at the park - from pushing the swings and roundabout, climbing the steep stairs up to the top of the big slide, and all the pedalling I did on all the go carts and balance bikes. I was definitely glad I had extra water, and was also glad that everyone in our group seemed to find something they really enjoyed.

I suspect that during term time, the park plays hose to school children, as various cabins had displays about earthquakes, the rain cycle, and ecology, as well as a birdwatching hide, an area where you could have a go at archaeology, and a greenhouse and veg garden
Facilities

In terms of facilities, the park is good - It has a cafe with toilets at the main entrance (we didn't eat here, as we went on to St Nicolas for dinner, but it sold fairly standard french fare - salads, crepes, croque monsieur etc - at reasonable prices. We spotted at least two other toilet areas in the park, and unlike many of the toilets I experienced in france, these were actually clean and well maintained, and had loo paper (alas, no soap though!)

There were various picnic areas, including a large covered one, and plenty of benches to sit down if you felt tired, as well as carts provided that could be pulled along behind you containing either a toddler or your picnic hamper.
Any Negatives

One slight criticism of the park is that that map they give you as you go in is in French, and not all the individual activity areas are signposted in english. Also, I didn't see too many staff about - there were various signs up saying parents had to be responsible for their own kids, especially in the mini farm area, but it would have been nice to see some staff as a visible presence in the park.

Final Thoughts

For a day of healthy, simple, outdoor activity, I think this park is fantastic. The young kids loved it, even my teenage daughter grunted that it was alright, and us adults enjoyed playing the traditional wooden games. I do think that there is more to do here for the younger kids than for older kids, but I still think it had something to over for every member of our group, and is somewhere I would certainly visit again given the opportunity.

• euphie published 01/09/2017