La Trobe University

La Trobe University

Review of "La Trobe University"

published 04/04/2004 | MotoAthan
Member since : 13/01/2004
Pro Excellent Health Science, Commerce and Economics, and Law departments, great student life
Cons dated buildings, difficult to find a car park space after 10am!
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"Qui cherche trouve"

I started my tertiary studies at La Trobe University in 2003, mainly because it was only a twenty minute drive from my house, but La Trobe University has exceeded all my expectations. I'll be reviewing La Trobe's main campus in Melbourne (it has numerous campuses in regional Victoria).

--- La Trobe? But I thought the only university in Melbourne was Melbourne University ---

Well, if you thought that you are greatly mistaken my friends. Metropolitan Melbourne has 6 universities of which each one has numerous campuses in Victoria. La Trobe University was built in the 1960s, and was the third university to open in Victoria. Because of its 1960s architecture (soon to be refurbished) it has a whole James Bond feel to it, which I find quite humorous. Named after Charles La Trobe the first Victorian governor. Its coat of arms has an Australian Wedge tail eagle, go the EAGLE!

--- How do I get there? ---

La Trobe is located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne in a place called Bundoora, about 35 minutes from the Melbourne CBD. Numerous bus routes pass through the University and a tram line goes right past it making travelling to La Trobe from anywhere in Melbourne relatively easy. The cool thing about La Trobe is even though it’s located in a metropolitan city it has vast bushland and a huge moat surrounding it making the university so pleasant to wander through. If you decide to drive there you will need to buy a daily parking ticket or a yearly. However I warn you that this doesn’t reserve you a spot and to get a spot you need to be there relatively early in the morning! My most hated thing at this university.

--- What does the uni have to offer to me? ---

All major paths at La Trobe lead to one place, the Agora. The Agora (Greek for market place) is the place to be during your breaks from learning. In the Agora you will find, at least a 10 cafes and restaurants (Italian, Turkish-Kebab, Chinese, Indian, Health Food and Vegetarian) a bookshop, 2 bank branches (the Bank of Melbourne (Westpac), and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia), and of cause 2 ATMs just incase your with another bank, a pool and arcade, a bakery, and direct access to the library. Plenty of shade and seating is available and the Agora buzzes with life all day long.
Then there’s the Union Hall which has a couple of cafes and a big projection TV, but it’s a little out of the way. The University has many clubs and societies to join, and they have a recruitment drive in orientation week each March. There is a gym and pool, a sports club with tennis courts, basketball courts and many ball game areas around the University.
The Union has a Bar Night every Thursday night which is good for getting drunk and forgetting what you have learnt.

--- Did we forget the education? ---

La Trobe has 4 faculties, Science Technology and Engineering, Law and Management, Health Sciences, and Humanities.
The University has too many courses to mention here so I'll concentrate on my Faculty, Law and Management.
I'm currently undertaking a degree in Commerce.
The Faculty of Law and Management is broken down into four departments. These are Economics and Finance, Tourism and Hospitality, Accounting and Management, and lastly Law and Legal Studies. Then all these have many bachelor (single, double, concurrent), graduate, postgraduate, masters and PHD degrees to choose from.
The Library is three levels, with many computer terminals (however they are first in first serve, so you have to wait for people to get off to use them) group discussion areas, silent reading areas, study carrels, and multimedia workstations among other things.
The teaching quality is very good. However sometimes tutors may not know what the hell they are talking about and I find myself correcting them (mainly in economics). The quality of teaching in the accounting is generally below par, but this is the case for most accounting departments, probably since accounting is so boring that even the lecturers hate it. =o) Overall however I have found the lecturers to be very good and knowledgeable.
One thing that I like is the assessment of the subjects, generally 70% is exam 30% is tutorial tasks, so you have less chance of failing lol

• Kenvin published 25/10/2006
    Hi there, Just read ur review on La trobe Uni. Found it pretty comprehnsive. I'm planning to do my Masters in Accounting next year at La trobe and am a little skeptical after reading what u had to say about the Accounting faculty. Could please explain why u have such an observation ? Thanks, Kennedy
  • hippykiller published 09/12/2004
    it sound like a nice univeristry
  • hiedihi published 05/12/2004
    It would be the chance of a lifetime to go abroad to study. Ive got my family now so its no longer for me but Id encourage Manal wholly to go for something like this !! Heidi xx

offers "La Trobe University"

Product Information : La Trobe University