Lakeland I Can Cook Small Classic Colours Whisk

Lakeland I Can Cook Small Classic Colours Whisk

Utensils - Whisk

Review of "Lakeland I Can Cook Small Classic Colours Whisk"

published 12/04/2012 | jillycat
Member since : 04/03/2011
Having baby tomorrow 13th April so will catch up on rates on my return xx
Pro Easy for children to use easy to clean well made
Cons None for my son

"I can Whisk"

This little children's whisk was something we bought from Lakeland a couple of months ago to use when cooking and baking with our son. Lakeland has joined in partnership with the Cbeebies series "I can cook" to produce a range of kitchen utensils especially for children.

The whisk itself is nice and small about 20cm long in total. The handle is smaller than an adult size whisk both in length and diameter meaning it is very easy for my son to hold and manipulate as he mixes and whisks things. He finds that as he is able to manipulate the whisk easier than an adult size one that he spills less and is able to control what he is doing better which produces a lighter cake mix when baking. The handle is a made from a nice wipe able plastic that is easy to wipe clean if it gets covered in baking bits from my son's sticky hands. There is no grip marks on the handle meaning it is very smooth and it doesn't matter which part of the handle he holds he is still able to grip it nice and tight.

The balloon section of the whisk is made from a silicone coated metal meaning that it is safe to use on non stick surfaces. These metal sections are all brightly coloured and look nice and cheerful to appeal to children. The colours on ours are described as classic and are blue red green and cream. These colours remain nice and cheerful and bright despite many washes so far in both the dishwasher and the sink. We haven't actually used this in a non stick pan as if we need to stir things in hot pans I currently do this part rather than my 3 year old son. The whisk however works very well to whisk up eggs for beating. My son finds it is easier to use this whisk for this task compared to a fork for stirring eggs and the like. The whisk does produce nice light air bubbles in mixtures that we have used so far such as whisking up batters and cakes.

Cleaning the whisk is easy to do whether it has gone through the dishwasher or I have cleaned it by hand the silicone coating on the whisk means that mixture doesn't seem to stick or get trapped in the balloon section when cleaning it.

I would definitely recommend this whisk for children who enjoy baking. The smaller size and design means that my son has greater control when mixing and baking, which for me means less mess to clean up and some better results from our baking as the air gets into the mixture in a great way from his whisking in a more productive way. My son also loves the fact that he now has some of his own special baking equipment and likes to use his own bits of equipment when we are baking now. At £2.49 from Lakeland this isn't an expensive buy and one that seems to be lasting well in our household.

• lilloulfc published 12/04/2012