Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Td5

Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Td5

4 X 4, MPV - Four Wheel Drive (4x4) - 5 Speed Manual Gearbox - 137 bhp - Diesel

Review of "Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Td5"

published 26/09/2001 | SecretFormula
Member since : 12/07/2000
Good
Pro great for towing, excellent driving position
Cons bumpy when not towing
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"great for towing but nothing else"

I'm only writing this opinion based on the fact that I hired one at the weekend for towing - unfortunately like most people out there I couldn't afford one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless I write about 2000 reviews for ciao a day!!!!!)

I have my own horse trailer, 2 horses and a mondeo - now as most of you will know - the mondeo will tow 1 horse but to tow 2 it would - but illegally of course - but wanting to go a far distance and wanting to take 2 horses I needed a vehicle that could do the job properly!!!

As I was letting a friend ride one of my horses we decided to hire a vehicle and share the cost. After ringing around a few places I found a garage locally that hired Discovery's for the day for £35.

The vehicle in question was a Landrover Discovery TDI 2.5 this was on a P Reg and apparently would be valued at around £12,000. Now I don't know what I was expecting but after picking it up and driving it home I wasn't that impressed. I didn't feel that it held the road very well at all, infact my Fiesta does better than this did - you felt every bump you drove over and then the back end didn't seem connected to the front!!

The next morning we set off on our journey, the Discovery had one of those 3 different level towballs on the back, I had it on the lowest but still felt that it was still too high for the trailer. While I was loading the Discovery with all the necessaries - saddles, bridles, spare coats etc etc I didn't feel that there was that much more room than the mondeo. Once we set off though the vehicle then came into its own, it towed like a dream, I didn't feel anything from the trailer at all, infact it could probably have towed this about 10 times over and still felt the same. The drive was a lot smoother with a weight on the back than without.

I did like the driving position, as you sit so high, you can see clearly at junctions and the end of the bonnet!! It was also easier to drive up to the trailer to hitch up as you seem to have more window space and the fact that the back is straight - rather than sloping away like a car does with the boot. The interior was acceptable but nothing special and there wasn't lots of leg room in front or behind. I found the accelarator to be 'hid' in the right hand corner, to begin with as I put my foot on the brake instead of the accelarator!!!!

The actual external appearance of the vehicle is very nice and it was a burgundy colour as opposed to the usual blue or green you normally see!! Personally I couldn't see the point of owning one of these vehicles unless you tow, as they're not 'city' or 'town' vehicles. As far as diesel was concerned I was most impressed as we did a 97 mile round journey and it only used £12 worth, I was a bit worried it would have used more.

Oh and I did set the alarm off as you had to take the key out of the ignition AFTER opening the door, then take the keys out and lock the vehicle(!!). I can't comment on many of the features I didn't use them or look for them(!) it did have radio/cassette and a drinks holder!!!!!!

If you've got loads of money and tow regularly then I would recommend if you just want for normal driving and 'look what I've got' then don't bother!!!

This review was read 12006 times and was rated at

• philipwakeman published 13/12/2003
    Describes the previous model to the Td5 which was introduced on an S registration 98/99 and cannot be judged by the failings of the superceded model ( 300 tdi which is reveiwed )
  • Frankelson published 17/12/2001
    You write great for towing but nothing else. Yet you did nothing else with it. Having towed, in this country and on the continent, off-roaded in the UK, Europe and Africa and driven one around town I say to you - try to do more with a Discovery and you will find that it does everything very well. BTW I don't own one, I own a 110.