SecretFor... 3

SecretFormula

Member since:12.07.2000

great for towing but nothing else

26.09.2001

Advantages:
great for towing, excellent driving position

Disadvantages:
bumpy when not towing

Road Handling

somewhat helpful by (6%):
  1. Frankelson
not helpful by (6%):
  1. dmd_a1

I'm only writing this opinion based on the fact that I hired one at the weekend for towing - unfortunately like most people out there I couldn't afford one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (unless I write about 2000 reviews for ciao a day!!!!!)

I have my own horse trailer, 2 horses and a mondeo - now as most of you will know - the mondeo will tow 1 horse but to tow 2 it would - but illegally of course - but wanting to go a far distance and wanting to take 2 horses I needed a vehicle that could do the job properly!!!

As I was letting a friend ride one of my horses we decided to hire a vehicle and share the cost. After ringing around a few places I found a garage locally that hired Discovery's for the day for £35.

The vehicle in question was a Landrover Discovery TDI 2.5 this was on a P Reg and apparently would be valued at around £12,000. Now I don't know what I was expecting but after picking it up and driving it home I wasn't that impressed. I didn't feel that it held the road very well at all, infact my Fiesta does better than this did - you felt every bump you drove over and then the back end didn't seem connected to the front!!

The next morning we set off on our journey, the Discovery had one of those 3 different level towballs on the back, I had it on the lowest but still felt that it was still too high for the trailer. While I was loading the Discovery with all the necessaries - saddles, bridles, spare coats etc etc I didn't feel that there was that much more room than the mondeo. Once we set off though the vehicle then came into its own, it towed like a dream, I didn't feel anything from the trailer at all, infact it could probably have towed this about 10 times over and still felt the same. The drive was a lot smoother with a weight on the back than without.

I did like the driving position, as you sit so high, you can see clearly at junctions and the end of the bonnet!! It was also easier to drive up to the trailer to hitch up as you seem to have more window space and the fact that the back is straight - rather than sloping away like a car does with the boot. The interior was acceptable but nothing special and there wasn't lots of leg room in front or behind. I found the accelarator to be 'hid' in the right hand corner, to begin with as I put my foot on the brake instead of the accelarator!!!!

The actual external appearance of the vehicle is very nice and it was a burgundy colour as opposed to the usual blue or green you normally see!! Personally I couldn't see the point of owning one of these vehicles unless you tow, as they're not 'city' or 'town' vehicles. As far as diesel was concerned I was most impressed as we did a 97 mile round journey and it only used £12 worth, I was a bit worried it would have used more.

Oh and I did set the alarm off as you had to take the key out of the ignition AFTER opening the door, then take the keys out and lock the vehicle(!!). I can't comment on many of the features I didn't use them or look for them(!) it did have radio/cassette and a drinks holder!!!!!!

If you've got loads of money and tow regularly then I would recommend if you just want for normal driving and 'look what I've got' then don't bother!!!

philipwakeman 13.12.2003 16:56

Describes the previous model to the Td5 which was introduced on an S registration 98/99 and cannot be judged by the failings of the superceded model ( 300 tdi which is reveiwed )

Frankelson 17.12.2001 23:01

You write great for towing but nothing else. Yet you did nothing else with it. Having towed, in this country and on the continent, off-roaded in the UK, Europe and Africa and driven one around town I say to you - try to do more with a Discovery and you will find that it does everything very well. BTW I don't own one, I own a 110.

Similar offers for Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Td5 »

1 to 3 out of 171 similar offers for Land Rover Discovery 2.5 Td5 Show all similar offers
Roose Motorsport Land Rover Discovery Td5 2.5 Boost Hose Kit. Colour, Clip Kit Choice. Roose

welcome to roose motorsport performance centre lincolnshire media s small business of the ... more

2 5 years 1998 2004 boost hose kit kit contains x
4 hoses we have the coolant and ancillary hoses in
other listings too with or without hose clip kit x
8 clips all hose clips are jcs stainless steel
high torque the finest hose clamp on the market
today all life time warranty if you have any
enquiries please contact one of our sales team at
sales roosemotorsp

Availability:  available

Roose Motorsport Land Rover Discovery Td5 2.5 Coolant Hose Kit. Colour, Clip Kit Choice. Roose

2 5 years 1998 2004 coolant hose kit kit contains
x 2 hoses top bottom radiator hoses we have the
boost and ancillary hoses in other listings too
with or without hose clip kit x 6 clips all hose
clips are jcs stainless steel high grip the finest
hose clamp on the market today all life time
warranty if you have any enquiries please contact
one of our sales te

Availability:  available

Roose Motorsport Land Rover Discovery Td5 2.5 Ancillary Hose Kit. Colour, Clip Kit Choice. Roose

2 5 years 1998 2004 ancillary hose kit kit
contains x 10 hoses we have the boost and radiator
hoses in other listings too with or without hose
clip kit x 21 clips all hose clips are jcs
stainless steel high grip the finest hose clamp on
the market today all life time warranty if you
have any enquiries please contact one of our sales
team at sales roosemotors

Body Type 4 X 4; MPV
Fuel Type Diesel
Power 137
Transmission type 5 Speed Manual Gearbox
Range Land Rover Discovery
Driven Wheels Four Wheel Drive (4x4)
Range + Engine Type Discovery 2.5 Td5