Land Rover Freelander 1.8

Land Rover Freelander 1.8

Land Rover present the Freelander 1.8 E 5dr 4 X 4 with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Four Wheel Drive (4x4) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Land Rover Freelander 1.8"

published 24/12/2004 | floater
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Free to roam the Land"

When I first got my Freelander special edition I was quite overwhelmed by the changes it made to my lifestyle. I was driving at a height that allowed much better road vision and presence(a great driving experience). The car has traction control/hilldescent and all the other electrics you could want. I was drawn to the Freelander because I wanted something that was goodlooking, functional in the area I live in and allowed me to go explore places like the rural parts of Scotland. It also allows more space for the driver and passengers I am quite tall and squeezing into a little hatchback was becoming tedious on a regular basis. The Freelander I chose was a special edition serengetti 1.8 twin cam and had some gorgeous Trek alloys different to the most popular ones which are nothing special in my eyes. It also has a nice patterned interior which is second to the leather with heated seats but it really is a nice modern cloth design and I would choose it again. The other extra option on the special edition was air conditioning. The Freelander is a great vehicle and when you compare it with every other similiar type of vehicle they stand up well. A BMW X5 is a little better if you like BMW (although they own Landrover) They are a little more expensive though and I would rather have a Landrover Rangerover than any other vehicle if money was not a major issue. There is alot of other companies jumping in with utility vehicles aswell too numerous to mention not that great though. I may be getting rid of the vehicle soon as the rising cost of fuel is inevitable and this baby sucks too much about 27mpg average but I think it sucks more, I just tried a new TD4 and with a few adjustments I would be happy to have one of them instead. I certainly want to stay with the 4x4 because its so useful to have. I will have to make compromises though to save money. I would recommend the Freelander to anyone who made long journeys and lived in a rural area. A drawback I have experienced in the time I have owned the car is the amount of gear changes you have to make on the manual gearbox this is quite frequent. The Freelander is great but I would strongly suggest to anyone wanting to buy one that they look for a TD4 or a gas conversion kit and an automatic gearbox.

Just an extra bit I want to add: The first few Freelanders had a low build quality this started to change when BMW took charge and they started to replace poor quality materials. I just looked at a few reviews that were done before and noted that people were unhappy with the build quality, something I havent experienced really with mine although maybe it is a little plasticy in places and could do with being a little more detailed. when I bought the vehicle I was informed of the change of ownership to BMW and the changes that they introduced.

• floater published 09/05/2007
    From this Landrover are being irresponsible dodging freelander owners and concentrating on the other models turning their noses up. I have met some really helpful people but I have a low opinion of landrover at this moment.
  • floater published 09/05/2007
    Right ive had this car for a while and have a clearer idea about the cars pros and cons:). Firstly lets hit the main issue with this car the head gasket. I had a new engine fitted in 2004 under warranty thank god and that was because the head gasket went and the car eventually stalled overheated. Ive just had it happen again in 2007 aaaahhhgg, loads of people have complained to Landrover and I have had blunt answers like I dont know and I dont care so I have to go to a local garage to get the problem sorted out. A new gasket Multi layered shim - must insist on and I have asked for a lower rail which they havent fitted before but I had heard it is advised to have this installed to prevent further corrosion so they are looking into it as I type:).
  • darkangelwing published 04/06/2006
    Always get intimidated by these range rovers lol, it's bloody scary when ya stop your car for petrol and fill it up when this large monster pullls up next to you just the other day this women was driving one and she looked 10 feet off the ground lol, good review