Land Rover Freelander 1.8

Land Rover Freelander 1.8

Land Rover present the Freelander 1.8 E 5dr 4 X 4 with 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, Four Wheel Drive (4x4) running on Unleaded Petrol

Review of "Land Rover Freelander 1.8"

published 03/06/2006 | suze4000
Member since : 31/10/2005
Good
Pro Feels safe, sturdy and comfortable to drive - handles well.
Cons temperamental immobiliser, loud engine, noise from back wheels
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Loud Land Rover - no no or no go?"

The time had come to leave behind childish things such as my trusty Peugeot 106 who had accompanied me faithfullly through the last three years; 13 years old and only 20, 000 miles on the clock... I had decided to go upmarket and go for a car that would easily accomodate my husband, my daughter. black labrador and all the paraphenalia that tends to come with us.

My husband spotted the Land Rover at our local car dealer and at £4995 seemed a good deal as an S Reg with only 40.000 miles. I loved the look of it, gleaming like new in a turquoise haze, and was eager to take it for a test drive.

That's when we realised how noisy the engine was. There was also a suspicious whirring sound coming from the back wheel on the passenger side. Despite our initial reservations we asked a friend who owns a garage to take a look.

His first impression was that it stank of dog, but we didn't notice so marked it as a moot point. Discussions followed using words like Dif, and transmission which didn't mean a great deal to me but obviously did to my friend and my husband. The conclusion was that the car was sound, and I loved the look of the car along with the elevated position I commanded, also the feeling of safety and security. I found that it handled well, the power steering was a dream after the Peurgot, so we parted with the cash and took our baby home.

Things went downhill from there. The problem was the immobiliser. Neither my husband or myself could get to grips with it, and we spent at least half an hour trying to either get the bloody thing to start or stop the horn sounding.
The final straw came when after not having driven it for two days I decided I needed to go shopping. Could I get it to start? Could I heck. After a frustrating twenty minutes which consisted of me frantically pressing buttons on the keyfob, getting in and out of the car, locking and unlocking and desperately turning the key in the ignition, I called the garage and told them what I thought.

This resulted in them coming over, and spending 10 minutes trying to start the car before telling me that I had confused the alarm system by pressing too many times on the key fob and promising to take it to the garage to get the alarm reset.
This he duly did and all is well again.....for now.

The verdict? Nice drive, but noisy and temperamental. I noted with interest the previous review about the head gaskett and would recommend that before you buy one of these you get it checked. Mine has had its gaskett replaced for the same reason - this is fairly typical for this model - Land Rover know all about it and if you complain loud enough to them , they will fix it ie replace it .

• kevthrev published 15/07/2006
    Thanks,i will keep a look out for these points,Kevin
  • little_red_hen published 04/06/2006
    I used to like sitting up high, now I have a little car again! Karen
  • MAFARRIMOND published 03/06/2006