LateRooms.com

Online Ticket Booking

Review of "LateRooms.com"

published 08/07/2004 | KatherineA
Member since : 08/07/2004
Pro Some great hotel stay bargains
Cons You may not get the hotel you paid for

"9 out of 10 bookings were fine... and then..."

I've used laterooms on about ten occasions in the last year or so to book last minute hotels for business and leisure stays.

The site is fairly easy to use once you've found your way around. The UK is divided into regions and I've noticed some of the hotels falling in what I would consider to be the wrong region - I think this is because of the confusion of what exactly the "South East" is, or isn't. I think it would be better if they rearranged the regions by county or something.

One useful feature is that you can search by typing in the town/city name. This gives results for accomodation in the town/city and also other nearby places.

If you are looking in London you will get a long list of results (several pages worth) so its best to narrow the search to a particular part of London and there is a drop down menu list of London areas.

As well as covering the UK< laterooms also offers accomodation discounts abroad in a number of countries. I've not used it book any hotels abroad, although I would consider it as I have looked at the deals in Europe and some do look good, price-wise.

Laterooms offers discounted accomodation rates on a wide variety of accomodation - from 5 star hotels through to guest houses and bed & breakfasts. There is a small selection of self catering accomodation on the site but not much.

Most of the hotels are bookable by telephone, and its all very straightforward. The moment I've said "laterooms" on the telephone, the reservation staff have quoted me the same exact rate I can see online and I've gone ahead and made the booking.

But, I have had one bad experience, and this was with a booking made by laterooms with Thistle Hotels. I booked a hotel in London - Thistle Hyde Park, and when I arrived, I was directed to another Thistle Hotel down the road - Thistle Lancaster Gate.

It was our wedding anniversary and we had theatre tickets for that evening and had arrived in London slightly later than planned - about 6pm, and although I protested at the Thistle Hyde Park and the Thistle Lancaster Gate nothing happened. They told me i should have had a telephone call to say my booking had been moved - no call came. Evenetually the Thistle Lancaster Gate gave us an Executive Room - big deal we got to use some bath robes and had a free bottle of mineral water. It didn't make up for the fact that we had been moved from the small luxury hotel I had deliberatly booked to a large tourist hotel.

We could not do anything at the time because the Thistle Hyde Park was apparently fully booked.

After, I was determined to chase it up with laterooms and Thistle hotels and this is the story:
Because I booked at the weekend, their systems had not been updated, so it allowed me to book the Thistle Hyde Park, even though apparently it was full. I was automatically moved, and I was supposed to get a phone call, although I never did. I said that I felt I should have been allowed to cancel the booking if I was not happy with the laternative hotel, but the fact was that by the time I was down in London and realised what had happened, it was too late to do anything.

I had an e-mail from laterooms, saying sorry but pointing out that in their terms and conditions, they are simply a third party supplier and it's the responsibility of the hotel chain to honour the booking, although they would make a note of this case on their files.

I wrote to Thistle hotels and had a short letter back, with no real apology, saying that they reserved the right to move people in the case of double bookings, as long as they provided accomodation of at least equivalent standard.

I'm not planning to use Thistle hotels again but I would recommend laterooms as every other booking I have made with them has been satisfactory. Good hotels at good prices.

• Chocoholic1976 published 07/09/2010
    Thanks for the warning about Thistle
  • ben-lloyd published 12/04/2005
    I've always been wary of Thistle Hotels for some reason. I'll be giving them a miss for sure now ;) (Hope the rest of your Anniversary was ok though)
  • purplelynne published 20/08/2004
    This sounds like a good site. Lynne x