Dimensions: 26cm x 26cm

Review of "Le Creuset Square Grillit"

published 28/02/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Great quality, durable kitchen equipment, very good results.
Cons Cost.

"Le Creuset Square Grillit"

First impressions

These days we are used to buying very cheap pots and pans with the view to replacing them a few years down the line. We change them with a new kitchen or to match a new colour theme, but because the quality is not high we can afford to do so. The Le Creuset brand is all about quality. I remember the Le Creuset brand by their distinct volcanic orange finish to their products.

Here we have a cream coloured Le Creuset Square Grillit. This product is made from cast iron and the whole underbelly of the grill is finished in cream. Looking at the grill I would say that the design is fairly typical of a griddle pan. There are (unlucky for some) 13 raised lines, which run across the pan. These are designed to concentrate the heat and to give that grilled finish to your fish or meat.

There is a lip to either side of the pan to allow you to easily drain out any excess fat or juices, and this is a nice touch to add to the design. The pan handle is finished in cream, and the Le Creuset branding can be seen on the hand grip at the front edge of the pan.

My experience

This is not a lightweight, cheap or flimsy Square Griddle Pan. Here we have a robust and hard-wearing product, one which will last for many years. The looks might not catch the eye unless you know what you are looking at, but once you start to use something like this you notice the quality.

This 26cm pan is very useful for grilling fish or meats, and the fat simply drains away away from the food you are cooking. There are obvious health benefits to this, but I lightly brush oil onto the surface before putting anything on it. Using a high temperature is essential with something like this, and this works like any other griddle pan.

The fact that this is a fairly heavy pan I would say that it is sturdy and will not move about so much when you are using it. I do keep my hand on the pan when I am turning something over in it, but it stays put a lot better than the cheap griddle pans you can buy these days.

With any non-stick surface it is important to take good care of it. This means that keeping metal utensils away from it is essential, and I just use a wooden spoon or tough plastic utensils on this pan. When cleaning the pan I would advise to allow it to cool after draining off any fats, then you can just use some kitchen roll and wipe away the grease. This Square Grillit is a pleasure to clean, unlike a lot of the cheaper alternatives.

Price and availability

Products from the Le Creuset are certainly not cheap. Quality must be paid for, and with prices around the £60 mark for the Le Creuset Square Grillit, this is an investment as opposed to making a purchase with the view to replacing it a few years down the line. Shop around online for the best deal, though considering one in good used condition could be worthwhile, with prices around the £40 for an ‘as new’ one.

Final thoughts

When you buy the Le Creuset Square Grillit you will take good care of it due to the high cost of it. However, you will not regret looking after it because it will always produce good results. I have had a number of great meals from this pan and they are usually very healthy options. I am not saying get rid of the George Foreman just yet, but this is a very handy pan to have in your kitchen.

• justarube published 10/06/2017