Leaky Cauldron, Orlando

Leaky Cauldron, Orlando

Review of "Leaky Cauldron, Orlando"

published 04/12/2017 | Secre
Member since : 23/04/2003
Journalling more for myself than anything else now, so I don't expect reads or rates!
Pro Good prices and menu
Cons Americanised versions of British food
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Eating At The Leaky Cauldron!"

Menu on outside board

Menu on outside board

As one of our treats whilst out and about on park at Universal, we stopped in at The Leaky Cauldon, which is a themed restaurant in the Diagon Alley section of Universal Studios. The vast majority of the time we ate at the more snackish style stalls, rather than have a sit down dining experience, but we couldn’t say we’d been to Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley without eating at one of the foodie places!

Getting Served 10/10

They have an interesting set-up for getting served as you queue in much the same way you would for one of the attractions, before being waved to one of the five or six tills to place your order. You can view the menu outside before entering the Leaky Cauldron, so you may already have a fair idea of what you want to eat. The line did move fairly quickly and they had us seated within ten to fifteen minutes.
The Menu 8/10

You have to give them credit for effort here as the Leaky Cauldon is all British themed food and they have gone for some real classics. The menu was essentially what you might find in a good old British pub, which considering the fact that you are not in the United Kingdom, is pretty good going really. Obviously, if you are looking for more local fare then you would be looking to go elsewhere, but Diagon Alley is in London as you all should know, and they have been true to character.

So, the menu isn’t huge but there is a decent variety of choice including Ploughman’s which serves two, Fish and Chips, Bangers and Mash, Toad in the Hole, Beef, Lamb and Guiness Stew, Cottage Pie, Fisherman’s Pie and then a regular burger and a chicken burger, which are called sandwiches for some odd reason. There are also childrens meals including Macaroni Cheese and Mini Pie. The desserts menu also includes staple British favourites including Christmas Pudding and Sticky Toffee Pudding and then a Hogwarts inspired dessert; Butterbeer Potted Cream.

There is a wide range of beverages both alcoholic and non alcoholic; Butterbeer in all its forms (normal, frozen and hot), Pumpkin Juice, Tongue Tying Lemon Squash, Otter’s Fizzy Orange Juice and GillyWater. Beers include Wizard’s Brew and Dragon Scale, there is then also Fire Whisky and wine.

The Eatings 6/10

I opted for the fisherman’s pie whilst my husband went with the more American chicken sandwich… which was effectively a burger. I have to admit, I think Scott choose more wisely than me as whilst I like the fish pie’s I can have back home, I found the flavouring of the American version very odd indeed. It was spiced to such a degree that it massively detracted from the actual fish which was a shame. It also came with its foil bottom which is an immediate hint that it’s nowhere near freshly made. Scott’s burger however looked – and apparently tasted – quite awesome, so I do have to wonder whether I suffered due to an Americanisation of the British fish pie.

The frozen Butterbeer was lovely and Scott very much enjoyed his Pumpkin Juice.
Ambience and Environment 7/10

In some ways, this place reminded me of a really old fashioned school canteen; long wooden tables with bench like seating took up a lot of the space and it was clearly designed to cram as many people in as possible during busy times. Thankfully, it wasn’t overly busy as I think I’d have really struggled otherwise. They also do have some smaller two and four person tables off to the side, which is where we were directed to sit… another relief as although it wasn’t really a private table, it was away from any of the large groups of children.

The decorations are cool however, and it has a very old fashioned higgle-de-piggle-de feel to the place with loads of picture frames hung at slightly odd angles on the wall, depicting wizarding news or famous people. Large wooden beams stretch across the ceiling and are joined by old style candelabras which, along with the huge window on the front, really does add to the medieval style feel to the place. Not that wizards are backwards at all…

Pricing 10/10

We were pleasantly surprised by the prices here as the meals came in at anywhere between $9.49 for the Toad in the Hole and $14.99 for the Fisherman’s Pie. We had firmly expected to be robbed sideways as it is a seated eating establishment, but actually the prices are more than reasonable. Drinks wise, it depends on what you have. Soft drinks are priced between $4.49 for Pumpkin Juice and $6.99 for Butterbeer, whilst all of the beers and the Fire Whisky were $8.99 and wine was $7 for a glass. That’s some of the most reasonable pricing we saw on park!
Do We Recommend? 82%

With a score of 41/50, this really isn’t bad considering I didn’t actually enjoy my pie all that much at all. It has to be said though that I think I picked an option that had been Americanised and I therefore didn’t get what I was expecting. Scott however thoroughly enjoyed his burger and we both enjoyed the ambiance of the place and the feeling of being inside the wonderful world of Harry Potter. I think had it been a busy peak time visit however this score would have come down sharply on the environment side of things, as I can imagine it getting very crowded and very noisy.

• 2mennycds published 06/12/2017
    Great fun! Maybe the fish pie was cooked in a leaky cauldron...
  • bettyboo47 published 06/12/2017
    I understand where they were going with this, but no one can ever do a proper version of another country's food...even if cooked by a native chef. The ingredients are just never the same!!
  • mumsymary published 05/12/2017
    Sounds a really good exped rience

Product Information : Leaky Cauldron, Orlando