Building & Construction Toy - Lego City - For ages: 5 Years +

Review of "Lego City 60121 Volcano Exploration Truck"

published 11/02/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro High quality, affordable, interesting.
Cons Could be more of a challenge to build.

"Lego City - Volcano Exploration Truck"

First impressions

The Lego City range is always surprising me. First we have sea rescue in a city environment, and now we have volcanoes! I understand that we don’t have volcanoes here in the UK, but I still find it odd to include this set in the City range. Anyway, here we are, and this is a set that is sure to appeal to youngsters as it is so bizarre.

It is worth noting that this is not a vehicle designed to defend the city against a volcano, but rather a team of experts looking to explore a volcano. The set is brightly coloured, and the vehicle is certainly very eye-catching in its bright green finish. The Volcano Exploration Truck has huge tires that are full of grip, and the Adventurer and Worker minifigures add to the set. Finally, we have a number of accessories, which I will discuss shortly.

My experience

This particular Lego City set has 175 pieces in it, and whilst this isn’t a large set this ensures it is simple enough to complete by an eager child. The build process is a chore as opposed to seeing the finished article as a reward, for some children anyway. I prefer a longer build process as this is where a child learns, improving their hand-eye co-ordination and also their instruction following skills.

In addition to what I have already mentioned we have a number of accessories to go with this set. The main one is a large boulder, which opens up to reveal a crystal inside it. The rock is presumably an igneous rock, formed from cooled lava at the base of the volcano. In addition to this, it is worth mentioning the huge drill on the back of the truck. This is designed for breaking through rocks, and specifically the rock in this set, to reveal the crystal. The rock can be loaded onto the back of the truck for transportation to the lab for testing, and there are many more accessories worth mentioning. The guys have a walkie-talkie and a metal detector.

As ever, we have a glossy instruction manual detailing how to build this set, and the instructions are fairly straightforward. No issues arose, and in a matter of minutes the set can be built. The majority of the pieces are on the truck, but also of the piece count is a number of pieces that do not require construction, such as the metal detector and walkie-talkie.

These minifigures do feature in other volcano themed sets in the Lego range, and I suppose you wouldn’t expect to find them in any other type of set, would you?! It is nice to see that we have a male and female worker, and they are dressed very much like explorers.

Price and availability

You will be glad to know that this is a current model. With a current retail price of £14.99 this is an affordable and readily available set. Smyths Toystore’s sell them for £14.99, but a select few retails have the item priced up at £14.24. As with all Lego sets, once the model is discontinued the price will rise, though savings are still to be made on an open boxed item if you choose to look on eBay.

Final thoughts

This is a set that is very different to many of the Lego models, even in the Lego City range. I wouldn’t expect to find a volcano in many cities, but this is a set that will interest a child, and as the set isn’t complicated to build they will be able to start enjoying it from the word go.

Overall I would definitely recommend this set, and I rate it. The fact it is a current model instantly makes it more desirable to me, as you do not have to pay extortionate prices from the sellers of discontinued Lego sets on sites such as eBay and especially Amazon.

• Soho_Black published 14/02/2017
    My friend's little boy loves his Lego City and especially the volcano ones. Fortunately, he's not considered whether volcano Lego is appropriate for a City range as yet.
  • Secre published 13/02/2017
    VH
  • 2mennycds published 13/02/2017
    well reviewed. Agree it's an odd addition to the "city" range - unless the city is Pompeii!

offers "Lego City 60121 Volcano Exploration Truck"