Lego DC Super Hero Girls - For ages: 7 Years +

Review of "Lego DC Super Hero Girls 41235 Wonder Woman Dorm"

published 24/07/2017 | littleowlski
Member since : 21/10/2013
I'm back... a bit! Trying to catch up when I can.
Pro Bright colours, the bike looks really cool!
Cons The minifigure's hair comes off easily

"Super Lego Kit for Super Hero Fans"

What's in the Box?

Lego Set 41235 - the Wonder Woman Dorm is aimed at 7-12 year olds. With 186 pieces in the box and a RRP of £19.99 that makes it just over a penny a piece. Luckily, these pieces combine to create an impressive number of little models that will keep any little (and not so little) Lego builders entertained. The instruction manuals are the usual Lego type: easy to follow if you're familiar with the setup and bright and vibrant to look at.

This kit makes a 'dorm' for Wonder Woman, presumably tying in to the DC Superhero Girls cartoon set in a high school. This includes a bed with a desk and a secret compartment with mini computer, a wardrobe, a stand to hold her motorbike and a spinning window attached to the main bed. There's also a sneaky looking orange creature...
Constructing the Set

My daughter is 4 and a half, so she needed quite a lot of help in constructing the set. She managed to do a few bits by herself, but it was more her attention span in putting it together that meant she didn't complete it. The instructions are straightforward: 3D pictures showing where each piece should be placed. She doesn't usually have much difficulty with figuring out which way round the pieces should go, but her attention was definitely not fully on this when we built it. Instead, I ended up finishing it off (and her little brother's set too) which I can't say I minded!

It probably took me about 30 minutes from start to finish. That's not counting the breaks for drinks, toilet trips and rescuing bits that had already been claimed to build something 'different' or played with already.

The trickiest part was putting the stickers in place. I think I managed to get one slightly off centre on the wardrobe doors and then found it difficult to get them lined up properly. Luckily, I put them on correctly on my second attempt and they look fine. Not perfect, but my daughter is not looking that closely....

Like most Lego sets, some of the bits are a bit fiddly. I always find the little 2 x 1 bits tricky to get off if they go in the right place for some reason. I'm also not sure if they make the red pieces from a slightly different plastic, but they feel and look ever so slightly different from the other coloured pieces.
Playing with the Set

This biggest attraction in this set for my daughter is the motorbike and its station. She absolutely loves it. It works by rotating the motorbike around with a handle - such a simple idea, but it meant we got to talk about how it works which led onto how gears work and why it's easier for Wonder Woman if the motorbike turns around. She loves pretending to fix the bike with the little tools and then riding Wonder Woman round on her bike. Out of all of the pieces of the set, the bike and stand have definitely had the most use.

The bedroom bit of the dorm is a nice design. It looks quite cool and striking and carried on the Wonder Woman colour theme. I'm keen on trying to keep colour/gender stereotypes away from my kids so I was really pleased that they didn't just plonk a whole load of pink bricks into the bedroom. Nor did they stick a pink dress into the wardrobe. The window works well to swivel around - we pretend that the evil little radiation bug (or whatever it is, I've not watched the cartoon so I've no idea what it is!) comes through the window and sneaks after Wonder Woman. We've had some big battles between WW, the little bug, Mr Freeze and Batman...

I can honestly say, my daughter rarely plays with the bedroom and wardrobe bit. While she loves choosing jazzy dresses for herself, she rarely pays much attention to what others are wearing and doesn't spend a lot of time playing dress up. She did ask me why Wonder Woman had a wardrobe instead of the rest of the garage! I wasn't sure how to answer. It did make me think: you don't tend to find a Captain America dorm, or Batman's bedroom. I don't really know what else Wonder Woman does (other than kick ass) so I can't suggest what a good alternative to these would be. And it does seem daft to criticise the main components that make up a dorm. I'm sure some children would love the bed, desk and wardrobe but they get little play here.

It's Lego. I'm pretty sure if there was a nuclear apocalypse tomorrow, all that would be left alongside the cockroaches would be a bazillion pieces of lego. The stuff is well made; durable and strong. In terms of keeping the set together before being dismantled, this set has lasted longer than most.

The only negative I've found in terms of the durability is that Wonder Woman's hair comes off really easily. They've used the Lego Friends version of people rather than the original Lego style, so the hair can clip on and off. It does feel loose though and never like it clicks down properly. The amount of times we've had to go searching for it in a shop or in the car... needless to say, we have to be extremely vigilant if my daughter takes it out for the day with her. I'm amazed we've not lost it already!

Final Thoughts

This is a great Lego set. Not only is there quite a lot to actually build, once it's built then it offers a reasonable scope for imaginative play. We've got quite a few different Lego sets now from the Batman range, and the kids like to create some battles between Wonder Woman, Batman and a few baddies. Apart from the loose hair of the figure, my only criticism would be that the label DC Super Hero Girls would possibly put some boys of playing with it, which is daft of course; because super heroes are for everyone.

The recommended age group is 7-12 years and I would agree with this recommendation. It was just a bit too tricky for my (nearly) 5 year old to manage on her own, and yet it still provided me with enough challenge to be interesting.

Overall, it's a fun, bright set with plenty to build and play with. I'd recommended it as a good addition to any Lego collector's sets or for Super Hero fans.

• BLTN1986 published 17/08/2017
    Out of E's but congrats on the diamond!
  • jo-1976 published 15/08/2017
    Wow! Tempted to get this for myself! Congrats on the well deserved diamond!
  • chrisandmark_is_here published 30/07/2017