Lego Friends - For ages: 6 Years +

Review of "Lego Friends 41006: Downtown Bakery"

published 06/10/2017 | jb0077
Member since : 25/06/2014
Reads and rates highly appreciated thank you.
Pro Great features, encourages the imagination.
Cons Retired and getting expensive.

"Lego Friends Downtown Bakery."

Lego Friends 41006: Downtown Bakery

When I was looking for a birthday gift for my niece I opted to get her this Lego Friends set as like my daughter she has a few and this was one I knew she needed for her collection plus I got it at a good price despite the set being from 2013 and discontinued. I figured she would get a lot of fun role playing with this set too. Sure enough this set went down a treat on the day and I have seen the set still built up when my little one has played around at my sisters a couple of times now. The unfortunate side effect is because our daughter likes the set as well we have gone and bought one for her as well.

Lego Friends Downtown Bakery

With this set you get two mini doll figures Mia and Danielle, an outdoor cake stand display and a decent sized shop structure that is the bakery plus a lot of accessories including, the kitchen with plenty of utensils, assorted cakes, bread, croissant, cookies syrups and fruit.

The Build

There are two hundred and fifty three pieces to this set and that is a lot but a lot of the pieces are small ones so the set is still on the smaller side at a good bit under a standard 30cm ruler size squared. The building instructions are highly detailed but easy to follow [I think the group behind these should be contracted out to other companies for instructions because some of the booklets you get are so hard to follow but the Lego team really know how to put together a guide], you start with the mini doll figures [a common beginning in assembling Lego Friends sets]. Your next task is the cake display stand which is a small build with nine steps to follow, you then construct the bakery shop which has forty nine steps to completion and that is including everything that you find inside as well. The final task is the baker oven which is also classed as an outside piece as it is not included in the baker shop part of the build. The age recommendation for this build is six to twelve which makes sense as there are lots of small pieces here and by the age of twelve the kids are less likely to be interested in thing like this, overall I would say that this is a fairly easy build for young builders in that range.

What is there to like here

We think this set is pretty neat, from the outside of the baker it looks smart with two large windows, a clear door and another panel to the side. Also on the outside it is pretty colourful even with the big windows and there is even a price list with a phone number, great attention to detail. On the inside we like the layout but you can change that if you did not like the way the instructions put things in the shop as there is a decent amount of room for switching things around. If you have extra flat boards you could embellish a little here or even combine this with another food based set to make a combined store, the possibilities when you think around things are pretty much limitless in the world of Lego.

Dislikes

The only downer here is the set is discontinued which means you have to go on the hunt, the best place to do this is obviously the internet. The set I bought my niece was £14.99 new but the one I got for my daughter was £8.99 used but complete. At the moment [October 2017] eBay has a bunch of these in various conditions for a new one you can expect to pay anything above £25.99 that was the cheapest I could find, on Amazon the lowest was £30.

Recommend

This is a decent set to recommend for sure, it is great for the little ones imagination but because it is retired new examples of the set are way too high in price, there are a good number of used ones at decent prices and that is the route I went down and would suggest to anyone that was looking for this set. To me it seems pointless to get this new unless it is going to be a gift or you are collecting these, as we know Lego has become very collectable these days.

Thanks for reading, ©jb0077 2017 a massive thanks if you rated.

• anonymili published 21/10/2017
    vh
  • siberian-queen published 13/10/2017
    vh
  • euphie published 11/10/2017
    vh :o)

offers "Lego Friends 41006: Downtown Bakery"