Review of "Lemon Balm"

published 30/04/2012 | randy_edith
Member since : 25/09/2011
Well I didn't dig the hole deep enough and now something's dug poor Gertie back up, I think it's a fox, it's very upsetting to see
Pro Easy to grow and useful for so many things
Cons None
Ease of Care
Appearance

"Lovely lemon Balm"

Lemon Balm, my bush in my back garden

Lemon Balm, my bush in my back garden

I have a lovely healthy little lemon balm plant outside in my back garden and it has been there for a few years and it is still thriving. The lemon balm is a member of the Labiate Family and it comes from the Mediterranean orginally. I always think that lemon balm looks a lot like mint or basil but there is a difference, if you know what you are looking for.

It is usually much more bushy and bigger than the mint plant and the stems are larger too, I find. I have a few different lemon balm plants in my garden and my largest one is well over one metre high now. It is a very hardy plant and it is a perrenial and it sits in full sunshine but it seems to enjoy this, I find. I grew all of mine by taking cuttings from my next door neighbour. I grew them in small pots and then planted them out into my garden in the spring time and they just grew themselves without any further bother fom me.

During the middle to late summer I tend to chop mine back quite a bit and I find this is the best way of making it thrive. There are a lot of different varieties of lemon balm, I have the variegated with the lovely leaves which are a deep dark green colour. I like to dry my lemon balm leaves myself on my window sill and I make my own tonic for my bathwater and I find this very relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I make and sell these at the Church fetes and they always are appreciated and I received some lovely compliments for them.

It is also a lovely addition to my soups, and casseroles and summer salads. It is very underrated I find and a very easy little plant to grow and I recommend it to you.

• derek-j-a published 01/05/2012
    We have this in our garden too. I like to rub my hands in it whilst weeding and doing other chores.. It is quite refreshing to take a deep sniff - makes these little jobs more pleasurable. :-)
  • trayrope published 01/05/2012
    My lemon balm died off :-(
  • garymarsh86 published 30/04/2012
    I am going to grow some of this in a sensory garden I am making at work!

offers "Lemon Balm"