Lemsip Blackcurrant Cold & Flu Sachets

Lemsip Blackcurrant Cold & Flu Sachets

For Coughs & Colds - Powder

Review of "Lemsip Blackcurrant Cold & Flu Sachets"

published 09/04/2013 | Chrisheels
Member since : 18/10/2012
Good
Pro relieves a cold
Cons tastes medicinal
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Lemsip - Yes, Blackcurrent - No"

Lemsip is my 'go to' item when I feel a cold coming on. I'm pretty prone to the sniffles whenever the weather changes, so during spring and autumn I tend to get lots. As I like to save my time off work until I'm feeling better I tend to dose up heavily on paracetemol and carry on like normal (whilst moaning about it in a typically man like fashion).

Lemsip

Lemsip is a brand of cold and flu remedies in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. It is manufactured by Reckitt Benckiser. It was originally made as a lemon flavour that was added to hot water to make a lemon (ish) flavoured hot drink containing a decongestant and paracetemol. Nowadays it's available in a range of capsules, pills, powders and comes in varying strengths and flavours including Wild Berry,Hot Orange and Breathe Easy flavours.
Lemsip Blackcurrent

The pack I most recently purchased was the Lemsip Max Blackcurrent. This came in a cardboard box easily identifiable by the yellow and green packaging as Lemsip. The purple mug on the front easily shows that the pack contains the blackcurrent flavoured version.

Inside the box are 10 Sachets of lemsip, each containing 1 dose (or one mug when diluted) of the magic lemsip cold curing powder.

Each sachet containds 1000 mg of Paracetamol and 12.2 mg of phenylephrine hydrochloride. It also contains ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), sucrose and aspartame.

Lemsip Max Cold and Flu Blackcurrent is used for the symptomatic relief of colds and flu. It treats headaches, Fever, Blocked noses, Body aches & pains and Sore throats. I think there are better products for aches and pains and proper decongestants for blocked noses, but as a 'treat all' cold remedy it covers everything a bit.

The drink is made by ripping the sachet open (neatly along the top) and tipping the contents into a mug. It is easy to tear the packet and the powder pours easily without leaving any tricky bits to pour out inside.

Suitable for?

These sachets are suitable for children over the age of 12 and adults. It is advised to take one sachet every 4-6 hours, but not more than 4 sachets in 24 hours. I won't recommend it but can say I've outdone the recommendations many times during particularly bad colds and never suffered any side effects.
Flavour

The blackcurrent flavour attacted me to this version of lemsip as I am partial to ribena and other blackcurrent flavoured drinks. Dissapointinly the blackcurrent doesn't hide the sharpness of the other ingedients and it not as soothing as I was hoping for. I think it is too sharp for me and in future will stick to the standard lemon which I think hides the medicinal taste better.

Does it work?

Lemsip doesn't cure instantly and I do find a cold last just as long if I don;t use it, however it does seem to reduce the effects a bit during the cold. I it works well at getting rid fo a headache and makes me more alert when pushing through in the office. During a sore throat it works well too and soothes for while (although i find glugging cough syrup more effective).
Price

I'm not really one to go for name brand medicines all the time but tend to go for lemsip as I prefer the flavour to stores own brands which are cheaper. I paid £3.85 for 10 sachets from boots. This is more expensive than other brands but purely due to the improved flavour I think it's reasonable (despite disliking the blackcurrent it is a better flavour than elsewhere).

Summary

Lemsip is a great product and does the job for relief from a cold. I disliked the blackcurrent flavour so it looses 2 stars as this is the only thing that differentiates from Standard lemsip. Lemsip- yes, Blackcurrent-No.

• spiritwood published 09/04/2013
    Please be careful about taking more than they state. Paracetamol can do serious damage even in small overdosage. sorry to nag