Lenovo C200 8922

Lenovo C200 8922

Review of "Lenovo C200 8922"

published 22/04/2007 | ultracoolgiovanni
Member since : 18/04/2007
Pro good processor speed and built in graphics card, responsive mouse, 15 inch TFT screen
Cons base is cumbersome and fan heats bottom up to boiling temperatures
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"Computing on a budget"

At work I use a very good computer, no expense is spared as many readers of my last opinion will know, but for my home computing needs I do not have the resources to spend lots of money on a top of the range tower system or large TFT screened laptop. Instead, I opt for budget laptop that had the best specifications for the money I had available and this was the Lenovo 3000 C200 which cost me only 550 Euros (approximately £390). The best price I find this laptop was on the internet, most computer stores sell the Lenovo 3000 C200 for in the region of 700 Euros.

For the price I paid I expect a laptop of dubious build quality and lacking in processor power and software. What I got was surprising and I have to say, a real joy knowing that I had received a very good deal for a laptop that when taken out of the packaging had the look and feel of a Sony VAIO. The only thing that really put me off was the size; the base is very thick and quite heavy, with the fan located on the bottom (the problems I have with this I explain later on in my review).

The laptop has a built in Intel Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz processor with a data bus speed of 667 MHz and is Windows Vista compatible. Windows XP was already installed when I attached the power cable and switched it on so as soon as all of the protective plastic sheeting was removed I was ready to play. I use my laptop to play a few RPG and strategy games that do not require amazing graphics card capabilities (there is a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 card installed), but I do need processor speed otherwise the games take hours to complete and a very long time to load and save. Despite installing 5 separate games, one of which is a huge file and saving a number of games the laptop speed has not wavered and still runs as quickly as the day I bought it.

The screen is 15 inches and anti-glare which allows viewing from different angles. The screen has 24-bit colour support and can produce up to 16.7 million colours, with a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768. I find the screen satisfactory but in comparison to the 24 inch widescreen monitors I use at work it is positively minute. The touchpad mouse is very responsive but I find it very difficult to play games using this so I attach a mouse to the appropriate port for ease of use.

The battery is good, but only lasts about an hour and a half before being completely drained when playing games. It also takes a long time to fully recharge again, which may be a problem for others, but not for me.

The only issues I have with the laptop as I have said are the size and the location of the fan. If I wear shorts the bottom of the laptop gets so hot I have to cover my legs with towel to avoid burns and it had marked the plastic coating on my writing desk in my study area as the base unit has heated up. I think it could be better located on the top to allow better ventilation.

I like my Lenovo 3000 C200, it was cheap, allows me to surf the internet and play games and has seen no sort of visible deterioration in processor speed or capability since purchase and I can see it going on strong for another couple of years making it very good value for money considering the budget price I paid.

• BadCompany2007 published 03/05/2007
    Nice one m8.
  • octavio.teixeira published 03/05/2007
    Nice review (a bit short again...)
  • oldwasp published 22/04/2007
    another good review

Product Information : Lenovo C200 8922

The Lenovo C200 notebook is a sleek, dependable notebook that offers worry-free computing and solid performance at a great value. This notebook is ideal for professionals who seek an affordable, complete notebook package packed with mainstream features.

Product Description: Lenovo C200 8922 - 15" - Core 2 Duo T5500 - Win XP Pro - 512 MB RAM - 80 GB HDD

Product Type: Notebook

64-bit Computing: Yes

Front Side Bus: 667 MHz

Chipset: Mobile Intel 945GM Express

Platform Technology: Intel Centrino Duo

Features: Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Execute Disable Bit capability, Enhanced Intel Deeper Sleep with Dynamic Cache Sizing, Intel 64 Technology, Intel Advanced Digital Media Boost, Intel Advanced Smart Cache, Intel Dynamic Bus Parking, Intel Dynamic Power Coordination, Intel Intelligent Power Capability, Intel Smart Memory Access, Intel Wide Dynamic Execution

Memory

RAM: 512 MB ( 1 x 512 MB )

Max RAM Supported: 4 GB

Interface: SATA 1.5 Gb/s

Optical Drive: DVD-Writer - fixed

Display

Type: 15"

Resolution: 1024 x 768 ( XGA )

Widescreen: No

Image Aspect Ratio: 4:3

Colour Support: 24-bit (16.7 million colours)

Features: Anti-glare

Technology: 6-cell Lithium Ion

Capacity: 2400 mAh

Run Time: Up to 3.75 hours

AC Adapter

Input: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Output: 65 Watt

Connections & Expansion

Slots: 2 x memory ( 1 free ) ¦ 1 x CardBus ( 1 free )

Interfaces: 1 x display / video - S-video output - 4 PIN mini-DIN ¦ 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire) - 4 PIN FireWire ¦ 4 x USB 2.0 - 4 PIN USB Type A ¦ 1 x display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x modem - phone line - RJ-11 ¦ 1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ¦ 1 x microphone - input - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm ¦ 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm

Memory Card Reader: 5 in 1 ( SD Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, MultiMediaCard, xD-Picture Card )

Software

Software Included: Norton Internet Security

Miscellaneous

Colour: Silver

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately), administrator password, hard drive password, power-on password

Compliant Standards: FCC Class B certified, MPR II, BSMI, VCCI Class B ITE, CISPR 22 Class B, NOM, SASO, IEC 60950, CSA 22.2 No. 950, UL 60950, FCC Part 15 B, CER, CCC, RoHS

Localization: Norwegian / Norway, English / United Kingdom

Environmental Standards

ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 1 year warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year - carry-in

Environmental Parameters