leetscram 4

leetscram

About me: Thank you for the recent ratings! I try to rate back as much as possible and have seen some great reviews lately

Member since:12.03.2011

Lenovo - the unknown laptop brand....

07.10.2012

Advantages:
fast, easy to use, backup and recovery system, value

Disadvantages:
too basic for some

Speed

1. sandemp
  2. kiss_me2070

Lenovo G580 2689

Introduction

With the evolution of the ‘I-generation,’ the need for laptops seems to have gone in the opposite direction with everything being about Angry Birds, Apps, Facebook and Twitter. However, I am a relatively simple man when it comes to technology and like to have a piece of equipment with a keyboard and mouse (call me old-fashioned if you like). After years of error messages popping up on my Toshiba laptop I decided to try and find something that would suit my basic needs.

I was delighted to see that with the modern releases focussing more on tablets, there was a large variety of laptops available at reasonable prices, one of the most popular being the Lenovo G580. This was not a brand I had ever heard but with numerous five star reviews it was worth a bit of a risk, coming with a specification just as I required. Better yet, it was red!

Lenovo G580 2689

I have generally always stuck to known brands when it comes to technology but with my laptop market research, I found that the likes of Dell, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba seemed quite overpriced or had too much functionality for what I do on the laptop, which is essentially writing and browsing the web. Although slightly nervous in the process, I took the plunge on the unknown Lenovo.
Lenovo Brand

Looking at the Lenovo website, the company appears to operate a lot like Dell, offering different specifications to meet the needs of the end user. The’’’ ‘G series’ ‘’’ are built to be reliable and affordable with all the essential functionality included with a few extra features to boost performance. It is perfect if you are using it just for browsing or infrequent use but gamers, professionals would probably need a lot more.
Laptop specification

As I have said, the Lenovo G580 is quite basic but has all the necessary essentials to make it quite powerful for ‘’’entry level usage’’’. As standard, the G580 comes with;

- Intel® Pentium® Processor B950 (2M Cache, 2.10 GHz)
- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
- Lenovo BGN Wireless Network Card
- 750GB Hard drive capacity
- 6GB Internal memory

Speed

Compared to my previous laptop, the Lenovo G580 is fast to boot up at around 90 seconds. The basic office programs and internet browser appear in seconds when clicked and the browsing speed is excellent (Google Chrome). The Lenovo comes with Internet Explorer as standard but I would always recommend Chrome as the faster browser at the moment.

For me, the overall speed is excellent but this may be due to it being a new laptop and having minimal programs installed and a huge amount of memory still available at the moment. I quite often download using the laptop and am still able to do this whilst browsing which is a good measure of power and speed for me.
Look & Feel

The Lenovo G580 looks smart and professional. I bought the red version which is very nice and sleek. I really like the way that the keyboard has raised keys making it far easier to use although I would imagine more susceptible to breaking once the laptop is a little older. Due to the larger size, the keyboard still has the number pad on the far right which I prefer using to the numbers at the top of the keyboard.

The mouse is built to virtually blend in to the laptop with just a few little bobbles to distinguish it. The pad does get stuck a little bit which can be frustrating as the screen zooms in and out when this happens. I think this is just myself getting used to the sensitivity of the mousepad and this won’t happen so much when I’ve had it for a few months.

The screen is very clear which is useful as I tend to use the laptop for watching DVDs in bed. If you enjoy watching BBC I-player or catch up shows, there is always minimal buffering and, again, a very clear picture.
Memory & capacity

A 650GB hard drive is more than enough for me with the majority being taken up with documents and photographs. If you compress your photos, this will hold thousands of them along with any movies.

If storing movies they are usually about 1GB each meaning you could get 650+ on there is needed.

As I’ve said, the Lenovo isn’t designed as a gaming computer and I’m not sure if this specification would hold any detailed graphics but there is certainly enough storage space if you want to play some basic games on there. Anyone out there into World of Warcraft and the like will probably need something slightly more advanced.

I’ve only had the laptop for a couple of months but it seems strong enough to withstand a drop from a small height. The cooling system seems more than adequate as the laptop never seems to get hot after an extended use. My cat has used it as a second bed a couple of times if you intend to make it dual usage.
Portability

The laptop is light enough if you want to take it out and about with you despite the 15.6 inch screen. I am able to carry it comfortably in just one hand as it’s also very thin when closed.

The Lenovo laptops do not come with a laptop bag as standard so you’ll have to buy one of those separately if you like browsing over you morning coffee in Starbucks.

Manual and support

The Lenovo setup manual is very short but that’s all it really needs to be with it just being a matter of switching it on and following the instructions that appear. When you start the laptop for the first time it takes around 15 minutes to get prepared with various installation processes but you don’t have to be any sort of expert to follow the wizards for these.

The G580 does come with a full instruction booklet as a means of support with various languages covered as you would expect. It is hard to comment on manufacturer support as such but all the numbers come in the instruction manual if required. It doesn’t state when the customer support centre is based if this has any bearing on your buying decision.
Onekey recovery

The Lenovo G580 comes with a OneKey recovery system. This is a small button on the keyboard which will recover everything on your local drive if anything should happen to the laptop. This restores everything to your original default settings without erasing any of your important documents.

I bought the Lenovo G580 at a sales price of £229 from Littlewoods. However, if you visit the Lenovo website you can customise the laptop to fit your own specification and include any extras required such as a detachable keyboard or laptop bag. The Lenovo G580 is also available of laptopsdirect.co.uk for £299.99

This was the best value model I could find with the lowest specification possible for my needs. You can get slightly higher specification Samsung or Toshiba laptops for in the region of £300 but I couldn’t see enough of a difference to account for the additional £70. A lot of the time you are paying for the brand name as opposed to what the laptop offers.

There are very few laptops under £300 with a spec as good as the Lenovo in terms of hard drive space and speed.

You should be aware that this price does not include any Microsoft Office programs which you will need to purchase separately if you want the full versions. However, you can get starter versions from the Microsoft website which is usually sufficient.

Recommendation

I would recommend the Lenovo G580 to people looking for a laptop with all the essential functionality for browsing the internet, storing documents and carrying out basic functions. It is not designed for games or music centres and such like.

There are a lot of laptops on the market and it can be difficult to find the right one which is where a brand like Lenovo is useful for somebody just wanting a machine to go online at a decent speed.

Overall, I am very pleased with the laptop and would take it over an iPad any day!

Write your own review Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful. Write a review and you will earn 2p per rating if other members rate your review at least helpful.   Report a problem with this review’s content

gothic_moon 23.06.2014 17:09

I'm thinking of getting this one so I searched for a review and found it very helpful in helping me make my decision! I will note not to let my cat near it though! :o)

brokenangelkisses 25.10.2012 13:10

Love the idea of it doubling as a cat bed.

Wee_Jackie_163 09.10.2012 08:13

An excellent write up, E x