Lexibook Barbie 2GB MP3 Player

Lexibook Barbie 2GB MP3 Player

Review of "Lexibook Barbie 2GB MP3 Player"

published 31/10/2012 | kaaatmc
Member since : 05/09/2012
Hello my lovelies :-) Here to make a bit of extra coin (and I love reviewing the latest things I have bought as well!) I also review on DooYoo so don't be alarmed if my reviews appear there too!
Pro Looks girly - cheap compared to other MP3 players
Cons VERY difficult to use - doesnt display artist/song names - old fashioned display
Sound Quality
Ease of Use
Look & Design
Video Quality
Range of Features

"Forgotten MP3 player..."

Before I bought my 6 year old daughter an iPod touch for her last birthday she was given this by my parents last Christmas. The reason she was given this was due to the fact that she loves Barbie and the appearance was very cute and girly. This in turn that I advised my parents on which MP3 player to buy, I wasn't sure at that point how long an Ipod would last in her little hands (with kids loving to break things) and I thought since this was aimed at young girls it would be more durable and easier for her to use.

Needless to say when she first opened this she was very overjoyed that she then had a portable music device to play her tunes on.

About the MP3 player

As noted above the MP3 player is hot pink in colour and displays the manufacturer name next to the screen - Lexibook. Towards the bottom you have the image of Barbie and some colourful flowers and butterflies which make it look overall very pretty. In the top half of the front is the screen which is quite small - around 4cm wide and 2cm tall - I must note as well the screen is not in colour and is quite basic in an old fashioned font similar to what you see on alarm clocks.

The measurements for this MP3 player are : 5.3 x 1.3 x 8.8 cm and the weight is 200g. The light weight is a great bonus for this product but at the same time feels a bit cheap and feeble.

The back of the MP3 player is a slightly darker pink to the front and has the sliding battery cover towards the base. When you slide this off you will see that it takes 1 x AAA battery. Under the cover you also have an extra compartment for a memory card which is a feature I like very much with this MP3 player. Internally the memory is 2GB but its nice to know it has the potencial to hold more - although this is a feature my daughter doesn't need as she only ever likes less than 2GB of music at anytime!

Features

As previously mentioned this MP3 player holds up to 2GB of music / around 300 songs - which to me is a huge amount for a child... in fact it would probably do myself fine as I keep around 2GB of music on my own iPhone... but if this isnt enough you can use the SD memory card slot for more external storage...

As well as holding MP3 files it has the ability to hold WMA files - which are also music files copied from your PC but in my opinion much lower quality than MP3's.

Your child can also record their singing voice on to this MP3 player - there is a microphone at the top next to the headphone slot and a record button at the bottom. Supplied with the MP3 player you get a pair of standard wired headphones with this MP3 player - as pictured and a USB 2.0 cable which you use to connect to your PC/Laptop to transfer music to the device.

Lexibook state the MP3 player is suitable for children aged 3 upwards.

My thoughts?

To go straight to the point this is the worst MP3 I have ever come across. On paper, it sounds amazing for a young girl but the reality is, its really not.

First gripe - ease of use... I struggle to work this MP3 player (so you can imagine how my daughter feels about it), its so complicated and trying to skip to the next track or go to the previous is a huge mission as half of the time the device just simply ignores your commands... and the instruction manual is useless.

Due to the hard to use device we have not yet been able to use the recording button. So this is next to useless and I can't comment at all on that feature.

The headphones applied with the device do not fit a child ears properly and remind me just like the free ones that Apple give away with their devices. So much so I had to purchase some over-head headphones to go with this device for my daughter.

The screen lights up bright blue when in use so you can use this in the dark when you wanted but doesnt display song / artist name which is a complete let down. It only shows how many minutes the song is into. As previously mentioned the screen display looks like an alarm clock / stop watch - very old fashioned looking with no colour at all on the screen.

... and another complaint is due to the batteries that you need to place in the device is that the device is non chargable and you seem to be forever replacing the batteries when in use. It would be better if it was like a normal MP3 player and it charged from your PC or wall mains.

One thing I can say I like as well as the appearance is how easy it is to transfer music from your PC to the device. However considering how DIFFICULT the device is for me to use let alone a child I am only giving this 1 star - only because I don't have the option to give it no stars. Its not even in use now because its awful... thrown away into a cupboard somewhere in the house...

**********

My parents bought my daughter this from Argos but it seems Argos no longer sells this MP3 player but an updated one with speakers. The updated one currently sells for £34.99 which is around the same price my parents bought the older one for. The older one I am reviewing today can be bought on Amazon for £28.60 but can be found for around £20 if you shop around online.Forgotten

• Summers_mummy published 31/10/2012
    Great review
  • Elysia2003 published 31/10/2012
    Elysia has this and while I agree with everything you've written, I'd award it two or three stars. It's not really that bad,
  • mozzie76 published 31/10/2012