Review of "Lidl Popcorn Maker"

published 29/01/2001 | witchwaysup
Member since : 19/09/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Does What It Says
Cons Not 'Naughty' Enough

"Hinari Popcorn Maker The Lowdown"

As an experienced gadgeteer, I thought I had found the ideal gadget to complement my video machine. After all, the financial benefits of renting a video, as opposed to watching a film in the cinema, were being outweighed by the disadvantage of not being able to scoff vast quantities of fresh popcorn whilst viewing.

You may argue that popcorn can easily be 'popped' at home in a pan on the cooker, but then you haven't had the privilege of watching me making smoke signals in my hallway to dissuade my smoke alarm from screeching after yet another disasterous effort to do so.

I am not a bad cook, you understand, there are just some foods that I can't quite get the hang of cooking. Popcorn is one of these rare beasts. Totally untameable, it has the habit of taking too much time to pop if the temperature is too low, and suddenly bursting forth when I lift the lid to see what isn't happening! The alternative is the 'oil too hot' scenario which results in the teatowel being spun furiously under the smoke alarm situation.

So, when I chanced upon this item in the Argos catalogue, I was delighted. Unlike all the others I had acquired, this gadget was really going to change my life!

Hmm, it seemed like a good idea. Not only did it not require any fat to pop corn, it was expressly forbidden to do so. No more smokescreens! I had bought a sort of upright hairdryer with a cap on. The theory was great, just bung the unpopped corn in the bottom, shove a bowl in front of the cap opening and switch on.

It was hot, it was fresh, it was like eating polystyrene. Sorry to disappoint you, but without the oomph of butter or oil popcorn is just boring. With fat sugar or salt doesn't stick to the surface. Adding butter afterwards is very hit and miss, I guess I expected too much.

Over all, this product is relatively inexpensive. Without added fat, the popcorn is nice and healthy, it just isn't 'naughty' enough for me that way.

Anyone want a nice, hardly used popcorn maker going cheap?

It was sooooo exciting, I filled two bowls full of the popped corn.

• wulise published 29/01/2001
    Ys I burn the popcorn too. I always thought this gadget was a waste of time. Now I am not so sure. Great opinion. Louise