Lighters - Bad Meets EviL

Lighters - Bad Meets EviL

Genre: Hip Hop/Rap

Review of "Lighters - Bad Meets EviL"

published 21/09/2011 | luceey
Member since : 11/06/2009
Thank you for taking the time to read and rate my reviews, I will always return rates... I am also on Dooyoo as xxlucexx.
Pro An amazing collaboration,
Cons None.
Originality
Quality of Lyrics/Music
How does it compare to the artist's other releases?

"Lighters in the air."

Lighters

Lighters

I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it mainly thanks to Bruno Mars and the incredible chorus he sings on it. I saw a snippet of the music video on an American TV channel and I immediately had to youtube it to hear it in full. I hadn’t previously heard of Bad Meets Evil so I initially thought it was an Eminem song featuring Bruno Mars however this song is actually Bad Meets Evil featuring Bruno Mars.

So who are Bad Meets Evil? Bad Meets Evil are a rap duo; ‘bad’ is rapper Royce da 5’9” and ‘evil’ is the better known rapper Eminem. You may think that the collaboration of these two rappers is a relatively knew thing however they have in fact been collaborating for a long time, even before Eminem was famous. They parted ways as a duo in the early 2000s after Royce da 5’9” had a disagreement with Eminem’s other group D12. Ten or so years later they have reunited to release a new EP called Hell: The Sequel. This album has been hugely successfully over in the States, going straight to number one at the time of its release in June 2011.

The song ’Lighters’ is the second single to be released from this album. It features Bruno Mars who is an American singer and songwriter who is very current and who seems to be in the charts a lot at the moment. Bruno has enjoyed success recently with his debut album ’Doo Wops And Hooligans’ which has had some huge hits such as; Just the way you are, Grenade and more recently The Lazy Song. I really like Bruno Mars and enjoy his music along with his stunning voice. Bruno is the kind of artist which I think keeps current music modern and although his sound is pop/R&B it is a refreshing sound due to his amazing vocal ability.

I think that Bruno Mars’ input on the song ‘Lighters’ is a vital part of its success. The lyrics and the style in which he sings them takes this song to a whole new level. Without Bruno it is a rap song, with Bruno it is a modern masterpiece of rap, soul and pop. The lyrics in the chorus are beautifully written and give the listener something to hear which is meaningful and they can sing it back.

The lyrics in the chorus are as follows:

This one’s for you and me,
Living out our dreams,
We’re all right where we should be,
With my arms out wide I open my eyes,
And now all I wanna to see,
Is a sky full of lighters,
A sky full of lighters.

Bruno beautifully plays the piano behind these lyrics which gives the song more emotion. I find this song inspiring as I do quite a few of Eminem’s songs. I think that Eminem now does receive the praise he deserves for his music and his amazing writing skills. To me, Eminem is an amazing writer and although some of his songs can be a little inappropriate, I find the capability that he has to write fantastic rap songs indescribable.

There are 2 verses in the song, these verses are relatively long and each followed by a chorus. Bruno Mars then finishes of the song with a short bridge to the final chorus. Eminem raps on the first verse. There is nothing unusual about his lyrics from an Eminem fan perspective. He raps about how he will never give up the rap game, how he dreamt he was king then woke up and was still king and how he overcame being in a dark place. I find it fascinating how Eminem writes new material after new material, a lot of the time on the same subject matter; himself, yet he never seems to go over old ground or repeat himself.

The second verse is by Royce da 5’9”. Before hearing this song I had never heard any of this rappers material so this was all new to me. He raps as though he is in jail so I am guessing he was in jail when he wrote it. His lyrics involve rapping about how much he loves Eminem, how his dad can’t work because he has a bad back and how his car can start itself and park itself. I find these lyrics to be good, they are a little more interesting than Eminems in fact. On the basis of this song I would definitely be willing to listen to more of Royce da 5’9”’s music as I like him on this track however I do think that even for a rapper, his name is a little ridiculous.

The music video for this track is very inspirational and carries a positive message. It starts of with Bruno Mars sat playing the piano and singing. On Eminem’s verse he is sat in a house and then goes down below into a tunnel where he raps in the dark with flares. Royce da 5’9” starts off rapping from a jail cell on his verse, he then finds a trap door behind a poster and climbs through it to end up in a tunnel, a lot like the one Eminem is in, also with a flare. Eminem and Royce finally make their way out of the tunnel in time for the final chorus which is my personal favourite part of the video. They are on top of a hill with a beautiful view over LA with lots of other people, watching what seems to be thousands of lanterns rise up into the sky. It is a perfect ending to a wonderful music video, one of Eminem’s best in my opinion.

The song has been a success for the rap duo and Bruno Mars. Every time I turn on the music channels it seems to come on quite frequently. On its release it has peaked highly in the UK charts, US charts and it reached number 2 in New Zealand. To date it has sold over a million copies in the US alone.

The song can be downloaded from iTunes and all other good music stores for a small price. I definitely recommend this song for anybody who is into this kind of music, even if you are not a fan of Eminem. Bruno Mars really does take this song to another level making it an extraordinary collaboration. It is an uplifting soul/R&B tune with a very catchy chorus. However I do recommend downloading the clean version as it is much more pleasant to hear.

Thank you for reading.

• killiefan published 30/09/2011
    I really like this one.
  • Novabug published 22/09/2011
    Never heard of this either, good write up though. :)
  • MizzMolko published 22/09/2011