Lima

Lima

Review of "Lima"

published 07/01/2004 | K_a_t_y
Member since : 19/07/2003
Good
Pro A very interesting experience, friendly people
Cons costal fog, globalisation,

"Lima = globalisation at its worst"

Maybe I should not be writing a review on Lima as I only spent a couple of days there however I can give my initial thoughts on the place.

Peru as a whole I have found to be amazingly diverse and friendly place however Lima I did not like.

Having arrived at the airport I got in a taxi to go to where I was staying... it was quite dark but my immediate reaction was astonishment... my main dislike of Lima was simply the globalisation that seems to have taken hold of the place... If you want McDonalds or such places fantastic but if your like me you will dislike the fact that you'll be driving along and see all these fast food restaurants and then suddenly there'll be a shanty town... It seemed to me to be like globalisation at its worst.

Matters perhaps were not helped by the costal fog... Its not all negative though... the people there were amazingly friendly and we found a fantastic market which we could have spent days in. We also stayed in a wonderful hostel where they could not have done more to help us sort ourselves and find our bearings.

Overall for me a couple of days was enough... Lima however I cannot stress enough was the only place in Peru where my reaction was such... I could spend my whole life exploring the country... I really did not want to come home!! Peru is a fantastically diverse and amazing country and any traveller must visit it... Just whatever you do make sure you see the whole country and do not be put off by Lima.

• fizzytom published 07/01/2004
    Again I am a little disappointed - I am aware that globalisation has had a dramatic effect on Lima but you could have said so much more. What is there to see, where did you stay? What are the people like? Have had to rate low therefore.
  • Kirsty1 published 07/01/2004
    I have never been to Lima myself but I do recognise what you say from visiting other countries and then their capitals - it can be a shocking and unwelcome sight to see those all-powerful "arches" again can't it? Hope you are enjoying Ciao :o) Kirstyxx

offers "Lima"