Review of "Lindam Easy Fit Plus Gate"

published 19/11/2007 | loobielou80
Member since : 20/10/2007
Pro Looks nice
Cons dangerous, unsecure, irritating, disruptive, rubbish
Ease of use/assembly
Safety

"Lindam Easy Fit Plus Gate - will NEVER buy again!"

What can I say? I HATE this gate. I really do.

This gate is a pressure mounted gate with a dual action opening system and secondary locking mechanism for added safety. It retails for approximately £19.99 from various retailers, i purchased two from argos.

In theory it sounds perfect, no need to screw or make holes, it's easily removeable and adjustable.

In practise?

The trip bar: Does as it says on the tin, it TRIPS you and your kids up, nice.

The secondary locks at the bottom: Sound great as a precautionary measure and extra security but in practise they're that irritating that my husband ripped them off. Never mind keeping the kids out, they keep the parents locked up too! they are fiddly, useless and annoying and just hinder your day to day activities.

We've used these in four different houses and they have only fit in one. Other hosues they've had to be 'angled' hardly safe.

I admit the actual main lock/catch is very effective, it's wonderfully amusing to watch friends, family and health visitors look totally baffled by it when trying to exit a room!

The rubbery pads that protect the walls, are useless, they crack, break and come off.

Perhaps the biggest disadvantage of all, is that they're not all that secure, several times me and my toddler have come crashing THROUGH the closed gate as the whole thing falls to the floor, painful..frightening and frankly not good enough!

Oh and don't forget the fact that because of the design and the room either side of the opening that's taken up with bars it's very hard to walk through the gate whilst holding anything and I -constantly- whack my hip very painfully on it. It is a very narrow opening.

We also have the lindam wall mounted gates that you attach to the wall with screws etc. Cheaper, more secure, easier to operate, sturdier and all round a much better buy and a much more effective gate. (http://www.lindam.co.uk/store/metal.html)

• Hotbern published 23/04/2008
    Hi there. The whole point of the 'trip bar' is so that you do not have to drill any holes into the wall in order for the gate to stand up - it rests on the bar. Every pressure gate is the same. If you don't want a trip bar, you have to buy a wall mounted gate. SImple. This is an unfair point in an otherwise interesting review.
  • kirkytracy published 24/11/2007
    I think we have the same ones. not found them too much of a prob other than trying to carry stuff and open them at the same time is a bit of a struggle!
  • tigerthecat published 19/11/2007
    I always thought they where to keep the kids in not the adults, great review.