Minha 5

Minha

About me: Coming to terms with a new computer - I'll be back when I find out where everything is :o)

Member since:23.07.2003

I See You Ringing!

05.10.2004

Advantages:
Strobe Light for noisy situations

Disadvantages:
None that I know of

Performance

24 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Essexgirl2006
  2. Redbitch
  3. star333

Recently we found ourselves in need of a new doorbell. Having tried replacing the batteries in the old one and finding that still nothing worked we went off in search of one.

Things like that have modernised in the years since the last one was installed and, as we didn't know exactly where the fault was, we decided to look at the ‘remote’ types. We visited all the usual places: B&Q, Homebase, etc. I think they must have had a rush on them that day as all the ones that we found interesting were out of stock – leaving empty shelves with only the model number and price! Having become fed-up with looking the idea came to look in Argos as a sort of last resort. We found one in the catalogue which seemed to be exactly what we were looking for but we really wanted to see it first – so off we went on another tour of the local DIY stores. We had no better luck so went back to Argos.

The bell we found was a Sight & Sound plug in Door Chime made by a company called Lindam Limited in Harrogate.

The main feature of this is that the unit plugs into any mains socket meaning that you can have it anywhere in the house and move it whenever you may need to. It also has a strobe light – hence the ‘sight’ part of the name. This is very useful for anyone who may be deaf – or using a vacuum cleaner – or many other situations which I’m sure you can supply. The chime has a high or low (Hi – Lo) setting and, although you can’t actually turn it off (apart from unplugging, that is) the low setting is not loud enough to be heard outside the room in which it’s situated – well not in our house anyway, but it is a quite solidly built c1900 construction so this might not be the result in today’s more flimsy dwellings.

There are four different channels so that if your neighbour happens to have the same item they work on different wavebands. There is a choice of chime between the first four notes of the “Westminster” chime and a two-tone “ding dong” – repeated to also make four notes. This, as I mentioned, can be adjusted to “Hi” or “Lo”. We chose the Westminster chime but have never had it on any but the low setting. The strobe light can be switched on or off. It is extremely bright blue and therefore noticeable and rather resembles a flash of lightning when you’re not expecting it!

The bell push itself is battery operated (12V 23A Alkaline battery) which is included. You have to ensure that both units are set to the same channel but apart from that all you have to do is screw it into place and plug in the chime. Fitting took about ten minutes – the longer part of this was removing the old bell push. The total cost of the item was £24.99.

Lindam also provide a “spares order form” and you can send for extra bell pushes (£11.99 each) and strobe units (£17.99) there is also the choice of a different chime if required.

I can honestly say that I would buy this again, the doorbell chime is not intrusive, as some are, and having the strobe is a definite “plus”.

I hope that this will be of interest and may help you with making a decision. Thank you for reading.

Redbitch 07.02.2005 20:54

What a brill idea..xx

Delicate_Orchid 09.12.2004 23:47

LOL. How genius. Strobe lighting? Who needs Christmas lights, just ring the door bell. Desiree :-)

Bitter-Sweet 29.10.2004 11:22

We don't currently have a door bell, people have to knock, but this sounds reasonable and worth having, great review