Review of "Lindemans Shiraz"

published 13/11/2001 | Pelenya
Member since : 06/05/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Fruity, pleasant taste
Cons Lacks body, has watery consistency

"Lindemans Lacking"

I love hearty red wines. One of my favorite varieties is a good Shiraz. Trying out new brands of Shiraz is adventurous, as some are absolutely heavenly. Others don't quite measure up.

On my way home from work this evening, I stopped by the local supermarket and picked up a bottle of Lindemans Shiraz. It was in the medium price range, along with two of my favorites: McGuigans and Rosemount Estates. Tonight, Lindemans was on offer at $1 off (making it $9.99 per bottle vs $10.99). I was anxious to get home, relax, and give it a try.

I must say that I have been disappointed. In comparison with some of my favorite brands of Shiraz, Lindemans seems a bit "watery." Although it has that wonderful fruity taste, it lacks the body of some of its similarly-priced competitors.

Lindemans is produced in South Eastern Australia. According to the label on the bottle, Lindemans vineyards has been producing wines since 1843. One would expect that with more than 150 years experience in the business of producing wines, a better product would exported. Also, with an alcohol content of 13.5%, one would expect a heartier wine.

Perhaps I simply got a "bad batch." But, based on this particular bottle, I cannot recommend Lindemans Shiraz as one of the better wines in its class. If you've never tried Shiraz, don't choose this one from your grocer's shelf for your first trial.

To me, it tastes like one of the Californian brands of Shiraz, which simply do not compare to those from Australia.

This review was read 1942 times and was rated at

• helencbradshaw published 13/11/2001
    I enjoy full bodied red too, and I lived in Australia for two years, so was rather spoiled. Generally speaking, I dont go for wine from 'South Eastern' Australia, and agree with your sentiments on this wine. I tend to stick to South Australia, where you won't go far wrong. Western Australia is my fave, but you dont see too much of that in UK. However one 'South Eastern' not to be missed is Rosemount Hills of Gold Mudgee Shiraz, which is absolutely superb and is £10 a bottle in Safeways.
  • Connoisseur_Haggler1 published 13/11/2001
    Im not sure which Shiraz I tried but some of the Austrailian ones are normally very good as are the ones from Califirnia's Napa Valley - I was there last year a nd enjoyed my wine tasting!
  • nightchild published 13/11/2001
    sorry to hear you did not enjoy your wine ! better luck next time great review dawn :)