Review of "Listerine Coolmint Antiseptic Mouthwash"

published 11/01/2007 | SarahSkas
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Leaves your mouth feeling extreme-clean!
Cons It is painful to use

"Deep clean with Listerine"

I love having really clean teeth, so that when I swipe my tongue over them they feel smooth. In the morning when you wake up after brushing and rinsing I love how my mouth feels so fresh and cold...if only it would last. Well, I thought to myself there has to be some kind of dental hygene product out there that beats the rest; there has to be a mouthwash that really does the trick and doesn't wear off after breakfast.

I went into a couple of different local health and beauty stores and was amazed at the variety. I decided to opt for one of the most expensive (thinking quality) and was disappointed with the results. Although the instant result was fresh, it still wore off too fast. I did not give up there. Now you may be wondering why I am so obsessed with clean, fresh teeth and gums. The reason is this: I was one of those poor teenagers who had to endure 18 months of wearing... A DENTAL BRACE! Now I was quite lucky as 18 months in brace-land is a really just a short stay; some of my friends had them for 4 years. Nevertheless, having that brace was an unpleasant experience which cut my mouth to shreds and caused me agony in so many ways (one of them was having 5 teeth extracted. Ouch!). It did, however, leave me with one hell of a set of teeth. When the brace came off I was so delighted and the dentist gave me a complementary polish and I vowed from that day to always look after my teeth.

I was due a check-up appointment at the dentist so rather than spending more hard-earned cash on mouthwash (my family were beginning to think I had a 'habit') I decided to wait and ask him. He advised that I go for Listerine and explained it was the only mouthwash he would recommend because it contains a decent dose of flouride. I swiftly went into Boots and there on the shelf was Listerine.

It is available in two flavours - Coolmint (which is blue) and Freshmint (which is green) - and is made by Pfizer Consumer Healthcare. For 500ml it costs between £2.85 - £3.00, depending on where you decide to purchase it. The packaging is quite plain but covered in bold statements about it's effectiveness. At that price and my dentists recommendation I decided to give it a go.

I was left in a state of shock after first using Listerine and wondered if I'd ever be able to talk again. This mouthwash is super-strong. It recommends on the bottle that you gargle with it for 30 seconds. My first encounter with this lasted 5 seconds. I gave it another go and although it really did hurt I was so happy as it cleaned my mouth superbly and my teeth felt like they'd had another polish.

After using Listerine for several years now I would never use anything else. You kind of get used to the burning over time and the results speak for themselves. My dentist says I have really healthy gums and very strong teeth and I never suffer from bad breath. It is worth getting Listerine and persevering with the pain.

• wellibelli published 11/01/2007
    great review! Don't fancy the pain though! xx
  • pinkelephantuk published 11/01/2007
    Good review. Listerine is quite strong I agree!
  • dragonhelmuk published 11/01/2007
    Great reviewing, I loved the story. You possibly could have added a bit more about the CoolMint flavour in especial, but really your review was very good without it, so don't worry too much. :>