Mouthwash

Review of "Listerine Zero Mouthwash"

published 23/08/2017 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Bit worried about my wife's driving. She told me the other day that she nearly ran over a squirrell on her way to work - hey, this is an animal that LIVES IN A TREE!!
Pro Milder than alcohol-based, little other choice, effective
Cons Little competition, aroma
Do you like the taste?
How long does the freshness last?

"Ok for me, not to my wife's liking!"

Listerine Zero Mouthwash

I neglected going to the dentist for years. It all caught up with me, eventually, of course. On the down side, it cost me a small fortune. It had its compensations, though. Two root canal fillings gave me a useful insight into pain, and gave a strong incentive not to be stupid enough to avoid regular visits to the dentist in future.

These visits can also be entertaining, if, like me, you have a warped sense of humour. A combination of warped humour and nervousness can alleviate the stress. On one visit, my then-dentist – who didn’t have a great sense of humour – told me gravely, in his continental accent, that one filling had decayed and needed attention. “It’s not so much the filling that’s the problem, as the tooth. The good news is that not too much of the tooth is affected.”

“I thought you were going to tell me it was the tooth, the whole tooth, and nothing BUT the tooth, I replied breezily. I immediately wished I hadn’t. Although the nurse laughed, he didn’t find it funny. And he was about to wield a drill inside my mouth…

Anyway, this dentist stressed the importance of gum hygiene as well as tooth hygiene. If your gums bleed, he insisted, it’s a sign you need to brush them MORE, not less, though taking care to brush towards the teeth, not away from them.

I’m getting to the point, noble and patient reader. As well as paying more careful attention to my brushing method, I also decided to begin to use mouthwash.

Mouthwash – why?

Mouthwash is an antibacterial liquid. It combats bacteria that cause gum and tooth damage and that make the breath smell stale.

In addition to its inherent anti-bacterial properties, the gargling/swishing required forces it between teeth. This dislodges small food particles and also treats some bacteria between teeth. I’ve never coped well with flossing – on one occasion I was convinced that the floss was either going to pull my tooth right out or remain lodged for the rest of my life! – and the gaps between my teeth are too small for those tiny, inter-tooth brushes.

To use it (see photos – sorry about the lighting and reflection from the flash!) I part-fill the cap. I find that a third to a half capful is sufficient.

I tip it into my mouth and close my mouth tightly.

With my lips tightly closed, I pump my cheeks to squish the liquid between my teeth. I gurn and pump my cheeks to increase the pressure on one side of my mouth or the other. Thinking of someone I dislike sometimes helps to optimise the procedure!

It’s important to try to avoid swallowing any of the liquid. Anti-bacterial it may be, but the bacteria in the throat and stomach won’t take kindly to it!

Listerine

I’ve tried accessing Listerine’s own website to enable me to include more information, but, although I can access other websites, the Listerine one is denying my access!

That may be good or bad – perhaps it’s so hi-tech that they are carefully guarding their secrets. Anyway, I have tried!

All I can therefore say is that Listerine, rightly or wrongly, are considered a leading brand of mouthwash products.

Listerine Zero

I occasionally suffer from mouth ulcers, and alcohol-based mouthwash (of any brand) hurts like crazy in these circumstances.

There is some medical evidence (I know that there’s medical evidence for everything under the sun, much of it self-contradictory) that alcohol-based mouthwash can actually exacerbate minor lesions within the mouth, and that it may possibly pose serious risk to smokers, the lining of whose mouths is compromised. It’s probably true – after all, I saw it on a TV documentary!

I don’t smoke, (or go out with women, and only drink occasionally!) but I decided to play it safe and go for an alcohol-free mouthwash. There is far more restricted choice of these.

It’s interesting that the manufacturer recommends twice-daily use. I wonder whether it may be detrimental to use it more often. Given some medical opinion referred to above, I certainly wouldn’t use alcohol-based mouthwash more often than twice daily.

Claims

“Provides a Deep Clean, Reduces Plaque, and Freshens Breath”

“Used twice daily….
Fights germs that cause plaque and gingivitis
Contains fluoride for cavity protection
Provides lasting fresh breath confidence”

It’s hard to quantify these claims, or to compare the effectiveness of this product with that of others. To be fair on the manufacturer, effectiveness will depend on other factors. For example, the frequency of food intake will determine the level of bacteria between uses, and the duration of breath freshness will likewise be determined by factors such as smoking and food/drink intake between uses; if you have a cup of strong coffee or a cigarette soon after using mouthwash, your breath will soon smell stale.

The fact that many dentists advocate regular use of mouthwash is evidence that these claims are justified to some degree.

My teeth always “feel” cleaner after use. I realise that this is rather subjective.

Certainly, the breath doesn’t smell stale after using this stuff.

Ingredients

For those interested/able to understand:
“Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Eucalyptol, Benzoic Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Methyl Salicylate, Thymol, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Fluoride, Menthol, Sucralose, Aroma CI 42053. Contains Sodium Fluoride (220 ppm F)”

Warnings

“Not suitable for use in children under 6 years. Do not use if bottle seal is broken when purchased. Do not dilute, swallow, or swig from the bottle. If using fluoride supplements consult your dentist”.

Packaging

The bottle is widely recyclable.

The bottle is made of clear plastic, easy to hold due to the “waisted” shape of the semi-flat bottle profile. It has a safety cap that any child, and most adults will be able to remove. When purchased there should be an intact clear-plastic tamper-proof seal around the cap and the top of the bottle.

The bottle contains 500 ml.

Evaluation

As indicated above, the claims made for this product are almost certainly accurate, though the extent of its effectiveness is hard to quantify.

>>>>> This is my mouthwash of choice (“Mild Mint” variety) because…

>> Listerine are considered a leading brand. I don’t always go for brand name, but, rightly or wrongly, I find it influences me with mouthwash!

>> I consider mouthwash an important part of dental hygiene, especially as I dislike flossing (now of questionable scientific value, apparently!) and the unsuitable nature (in my case given the smallness of the gaps) of mini-, inter-tooth brushes

>> Frankly, there isn’t much competition when it comes to alcohol-free mouthwash

>> I’m pleased with the clean “feel” to my teeth after use (this is very subjective, of course!)

>> Whilst I don’t find the taste particularly pleasant, I don’t find it positively unpleasant

>>>>> This is NOT Mrs M’s choice of mouthwash for me to use because…

>> “Disgusting stuff. I don’t know how you can use it”; in case there’s any ambiguity in this quotation, she dislikes the smell of it on my breath with a vengeance.

Maybe Listerine should have chosen Aroma CI 42052 or Aroma CI 42054 instead of selecting Aroma CI 42053 as the aroma ingredient!

Overall, I rate it 4 stars. I consider it effective, and given the scarcity of other zero-alcohol mouthwashes available, I consider that the smell and my loyalty to the brand are minor disadvantages.

Available from lots of suppliers, whether high street (4th shop on the left after the five charity shops and three “Pound” shops, and opposite the two big empty former chain stores!) or on-line. Prices below are from websites.

• catsholiday published 30/08/2017
    Fab review but I am out of Es and playing catch up
  • Nymphypig published 29/08/2017
    VH
  • euphie published 28/08/2017
    e :o)

offers "Listerine Zero Mouthwash"