Little Tikes Junior Activity Gym

Little Tikes Junior Activity Gym

Review of "Little Tikes Junior Activity Gym"

published 04/12/2011 | Kicky222000
Member since : 02/10/2002
Hi, I've just started writing reviews here and I'm trying hard so I hope they come up to standard. I also publish reviews on dooyoo under the name NickyBo.
Pro Fun, easy to assemble, sturdy
Cons A bit smaller than expected, mysterious screws with no holes
Wear and Tear
Age Group

"Great fun in the garden"

For months I had been wanting to buy this cube and slide for my son. I checked online and saw the price was close to £100! Not wanting to pay that much, I looked at 2nd hand ones on Ebay, these were going for around £60 and looked very popular.
Then in Tescos I spotted the very cube I was wanting. It was reduced to £60 from £90 so I bought it straight away.

*Assembly*
This set came in a big box and needed to be built up at home. The cube consists of seven pieces of sturdy plastic. They came with a set of instructions that were simple and easy to follow. Most of the pieces just had to be pushed together although this did require a lot of force. There were 4 screws supplied however some of the holes were missing. From looking at the diagrams in the instructions it seems the holes should be there and for some reason were missing. As the cube feels very sturdy and secure I decided to just leave the screws off, but have saved them 'just in case'!

*Appearance*
The cube is brightly coloured and interested my son before it was even fully assembled. In fact, I only had two of the walls slotted together before he was trying to climb through them! It is a slightly different colour than shown in the picture above. The walls are green, two are bright green and two are a darker green. The slide and the floor bit are bright red. I have seen this set available in other colour schemes - bright primary colours and a pink and purple option too.
The walls have circular shaped holes in them, some near the bottom and some higher up. Children can either crawl through them or use them as footholes to climb higher up. This makes the toy more interesting then a normal slide and my son loves climbing through the bottom circle so he ends up inside the cube. The back wall has a bigger cut out shape and this is where children enter in order to use the slide. The slide is made from the same durable plastic. It is raised at the sides so the child doesn't slide off the edge. The slide itself isn't very long and initially we were a bit disappointed with the length of it and the size of the frame in general. However, my son loves it. Also, if it were much bigger I would be hesitant about him playing on it without me hovering there ready to catch him if he fell! As it is, I am happy for him to play on this cube alone while I potter around the garden.

*Overall opinion*
Despite the initial disappointment with the size of the slide, I am pleased we bought it. My son absoloutely loves it and often asks to play on it before he has even had his breakfast. The set is well made and seems very sturdy and safe so I don't worry about it tipping over. Although this cube is more expensive than buying just a slide, it offers much more in terms of playing opportunities. My son makes up all sorts of games using the frame part, his favourite being where he puts all his toys under the frame and tries to squeeze himself in too.
The frame in advertised as being suitable for ages 1-4. My son is 2.5 years at the time of writing this and he seems to fit it perfectly. I'm not sure it will be big enough for him when he is 4 though, so I think we will probably buy a bigger one by then.

Summary: Great fun for toddlers

• mumsymary published 04/12/2011
    We have one at work its good
  • bluejules published 04/12/2011
    This sounds great for little ones, good that you got it at a bargain price too!

offers "Little Tikes Junior Activity Gym"