Liverpool Hope University College

Liverpool Hope University College

Review of "Liverpool Hope University College"

published 12/07/2002 | Glorificus1
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro You might bump into me
Cons You might bump into me
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"Remember Remember this op in September"

I have been at Liverpool Hope on and off for six years. I did my undergraduate course there and I am currently nearing the end of my postgraduate days. While I have been there, Liverpool Hope has gone through many changes and not just a name change either.

1. Campus Life

Liverpool Hope now has three major halls of residence in Childwall, Aigburth and Everton, but the college also owns a number of houses to rent to first year students when spaces in halls are looking dicey.

Having only lived at the Christ and Notre Dame site in Childwall I can only speak from experience.

The rooms each had a bed (obviously); a desk, two chairs and a weird sink in your fitted wardrobe that for some reason I miss terribly.

There are six halls of residence on this site, some single sex, some mixed. Sadly, Donna Ford and I were in an all female hall. Too many wombs in an enclosed space are a bad thing.

Each floor has four toilets, a shower, a bath and an unfeasibly small kitchen with a hotplate, a fridge and if you're lucky a microwave

Ah yes, start saving those twenty pence pieces now if you want to be a student here, the launderette needs them. Yes, we have a launderette, how practical, well not really because when I was there the machines kept breaking down, so don't let me stop you heaping bin bags of washing home.

The St Katherine's site has smaller rooms, I have never been in one so I can't really comment, but according to legend they are haunted by the nuns that used to run the college in times of yore.

2.Food

The CND site is often viewed as the main site, because it has the refectory, where we all go and chow down on the culinary delights of Liverpool Hope. Yes, I am being sarcastic, but if you had to eat their chicken burgers every Saturday for two years then you would be too.

The breakfasts start serving at 7 am until 8.30ish. I say 'ish' because I was always too hungover to care what time it was, anytime was too early. The breakfasts weren't fantastic, but you could have a cooked one or cereal or if they were feeling flamboyant a continental.

The evening meal (YES you had to make your own Pot Noodle for lunch) starts at 4 pm and goes through until 6pm. It really is pot luck here, but there is a salad bar if you don't fancy chips. I also recall it was fish on a Friday. There is a veggie option with every meal, but from what I recall from my friend Anna's moaning, it wasn't that good. Maybe they've copped on now, as when I go into the refectory these days it seems to have improved.

The Childwall and Aigburth sites are fairly near supermarkets, so there is no excuse for eating junk food. Ok well you can at least eat higher quality junk food if you shop.

3. The Student Union

The Derwent has recently been refurbished, but it is still dire compared to the Liverpool University and John Moores offerings.

There are a number of regular nights at the union, such as karaoke on a Thursday and The Crunch on a Friday.

The Crunch is basically an excuse to get very drunk, not that I needed one in my undergrad days. With drinks promotions being a regular feature, this is always an option for those who live on the Childwall campus, as it gets you drunk cheaply before you head off into town for greener pastures. The main problem with The Derwent in my not so humble opinion is that the bar closes at 11.30, as the license cannot be extended, as it is a residential area.

It really isn't doing so well at the moment as students who live off site, would much rather pay the same amount of taxi fare (if not cheaper!) and simply go to the city.

The Derwent is really trying to promote itself as a student union, but I think now I don't live so near I'll stick at buying sandwiches from the student shop and popping upstairs for a few at the end of term.

4. The Library

The Sheppard Worlock Library is a fairly new addition to the St Katherine's site. Some would say it is still finding its feet.

The main 'asset' of the library is extensive theology and teaching resources due to the college originally being a teacher training college founded by nuns.

The library also has study carrels, if you want to study in private. These can be booked with or without a PC.

As a psychology student, I always found myself having to get journals from other sources such as the University library or through interlibrary loans.

I always refer to this place as the Sandra Bullock of libraries; it looks very nice, but really doesn't do much.

The main problem with the library seems to be a sheer sense of disorganisation. You actually find yourself being in raptures if a book is actually where it's supposed to be.

5. Other things that I think are important

The college actively welcomes overseas students, this year there seem to be a lot of Japanese.

Liverpool Hope is very conscious of the fact that students come in all shapes and sizes; there is a crèche facility for those with young children. Having never used it, I can't really comment, but I have never heard it being slagged off. I get the impression that it is pretty pricey though.

Disabled access in the college has greatly improved in the past few years. There is a support network for students with every type of disability. There are ramps and low pavements for wheelchair users.

I do 'hope' that my critique of Liverpool Hope College has not put you off going there, but instead has opened your eyes to the possible pitfalls you may encounter from time to time. No institution is perfect, but I think the fact that I am still there must say something. It is a friendly place to study and a good base for getting to know Liverpool if you don't know it already.

• happeninbabe published 14/07/2002
    I'm not so sure if i am looking forward to going to college or not in a few years, great op, thanks KB :O)
  • sue.51 published 13/07/2002
    My Uni days were spent living at home because I was a mature student with a child in tow, but this took me back to my student nurse days, more years ago than I cared to remember, but great fun :) Sue
  • Weeping_Willow published 13/07/2002