Liverpool in general

Liverpool in general

Review of "Liverpool in general"

published 23/08/2002 | pixiedon
Member since : 09/09/2000
Pro I live here
Cons Some shops aren't here, the weather

"Lively Liverpool"

Whether you were born here, visit or just come to study here, Liverpool will always hold a special place in your heart.

Liverpool is one of those deceptively small cities that squeeze in so much - culture, entertainment, sports, religion… There is nothing that Liverpool does not have to offer.

CULTURE:
Liverpool has several theatres - The Empire (the largest and arguably the best), The Playhouse at Williamson Square, The Neptune on Hanover Street, The Unity Theatre, the Royal Court, Everyman and of course the Philharmonic Hall - so you're guaranteed to find something to suit your tastes, whether you want a concert, musical or play. There are also 3 museums - HM Customs & Excise National Museum which is inside the Merseyside Maritime Museum at Albert Dock (you can find out the history of Customs & Excise as well as the slave trade); Liverpool Museum (the largest of the local museums, incorporating archaeology and sciences); and the Walker Art Gallery (the ideal place for art lovers).

I'd recommend: A night at the Empire

ENTERTAINMENT:
This is where Liverpool truly excels. What would you like to do today? Watch a live band at The Picket, visit Cream nightclub, trawl the bars or just take in a meal at one of Liverpool's many restaurants? Liverpool houses the oldest Chinese community in Europe so why not visit Chinatown for an authentic and delicious Chinese meal. Liverpool is also renowned worldwide as the birthplace of The Beatles, something that attracts many tourists every year. Take a ride of the Magical Mystery Tour, which takes in all the main Beatles landmarks or visit Mathew Street to see where The Cavern once stood or have a drink at the new Cavern. Whether you want to party or just relax, you're guaranteed to find something to do in Liverpool.

I'd recommend: So many of the bars but one I really enjoy is Rat & Parrot at Queen's Square.

SHOPPING:
Liverpool is good for shopping but it lacks some of the shops you'd find in London or Manchester, e.g. Mango, Debenhams and Selfridges. That said, I've never found it to be a problem - I'm sure any woman could still spend all day shopping here. Most of the shops are located on Church Street (Marks and Spencer, Next, Topshop, HMV and others), although a wander along to Bold Street (Karen Millen) or Lord Street (French Connection, GAP) as well as St. John's Precinct and Clayton Square is recommended if you're going on a major spree. There are plenty of cafés to rest your weary feet at - I highly recommend Liverpool bakers Sayers, purveyors of the most delicious sausage rolls. There is a Sayers café at the rear of Marks and Spencer as well as a large café in St. John's precinct.

I'd recommend: All of the shops, after all I am a woman. It took me & my sister about 4 hours to visit all of the shops on Wednesday.

EATING OUT:
Liverpool has a good mix of restaurants, as you'd expect from a city. If you're looking for something classy and expensive (and the glimpse of some football players) take a walk down to Albert Dock (Est Est Est, Blue Bar & Café). For Chinese it has to be Chinatown, which you'll find by walking up to the top of Bold Street. If you like Italian food, I'd highly recommend Villa Romano, a nice little restaurant at the bottom of Wood Street. For Indian try the top of Bold Street. A great place to go if you're with people who like different types of food is Caesar's Palace - they serve a massive range of food and they're not too expensive.

I'd recommend: Villa Romano

SPORT:
Liverpool has 2 huge Premiership teams, Liverpool and Everton, as well as not too distant Tranmere Rovers. When you come to Liverpool you're either a blue or red, even if you're only visiting! Take a visit to Anfield, home of the mighty Reds - you can watch a match if they're playing or just take a tour of the stadium (the museum is open daily 10am till 5pm). If you prefer Everton, why not visit Goodison Park, home of the battling Blues. (Goodison is open for tours on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 11 to 2pm)

I'd recommend: a match at Anfield, but then I may be biased.

RELIGION:
Liverpool is unique in that it has 2 cathedrals - the Catholic, Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King (locally known as Paddy's Wigwam) on Mount Pleasant, near to Liverpool University Student's Union, and at the other end of Hope Street, The Anglican Cathedral, the largest Anglican Cathedral in Europe. Admission is free to both but donations are welcome.

SCENERY:
The city itself is quite attractive. If you take a walk down to the Pierhead you can gaze at the Liver Birds on top of the Liver Buildings. There are lots of old buildings in the city that give you a real sense of the city's history.

If you want to go a little further afield whilst you're in Liverpool, a good tip (for the summer) is to head North to Formby and the surrounding area. Here you will find the Red Squirrel nature reserve and a nice beach and sand dunes. You can get a train to Formby from Liverpool Central station, or alternatively drive there. It is about 12-15 miles away but well worth it on a sunny day.

WEATHER:
This is the main disadvantage. Liverpool is in the North & on the coast therefore it is often breezy and cold. It seems to rain a lot. Even on the rare summer days it can be quite breezy, especially at Albert Dock.

PLACES TO STAY:
Obviously I can't vouch for how good they are as I live here. I have stayed in the Adelphi hotel for 2 nights and found it to be satisfactory, although over-priced.

Britannia Adelphi Hotel

Single En Suite £60 - £70 per night
Double En Suite £75 - £95
Twin En Suite £75 - £95
Family En Suite £105.5 - £125

The hotel has its own pool, bars and restaurants as well as a nightclub and is ideally placed for shopping and the Empire theatre.

---

Tel:0151 471 9988
Fax:0151 709 2706

Bed and Breakfast: £ 49
Dinner, Bed and Breakfast: £ 65
Price is per person per night.

The hotel has its own fitness club with pool and is close to all the shops, as well as a short stroll from Albert Dock

---

Thistle Liverpool

Thistle Liverpool, Chapel Street
Liverpool L3 9RE
reception: 0870 333 9137
fax: 0870 333 9237
email: Liverpool@Thistle.co.uk
web: www.thistlehotels.com/liverpool

The hotel has its own bars & restaurants.

Prices vary depending on the date you stay & how many people but expect to pay about £70 for a room & breakfast for one person.

Come to Liverpool and see why everyone loves it so much. The only thing is, you won't want to leave.

• s_jones_2003 published 03/06/2004
    Living just twenty minutes from here in nearby Warrington you'd think I'd have been here at least once but I've not! The nearest I've been to Liverpool is West Kirby! My boyfriend's best mate is at uni there and one of my mates is moving in September here so hopefully I'll get a trip there soon! Sarah x
  • OKkaraoke published 13/02/2003
    Yes! I didn't want to leave!
  • tootsie1_uk published 21/10/2002
    Great op on my home city! I love Liverpool, so much infact, that when my mum emigrated to the USA when I was 17, I decided to stay here! We too have stayed in the Adelphi, actually in the Bridal Suite, but we found it disasterous! I would recommend watching a match at Anfield too (Everton?????) lol Great and informative op, take care Lisa x

Product Information : Liverpool in general