Living Pretty, Curry Rivel

British Restaurant - Address: High St, Hillside Close, Curry Rivel, Langport, Bristol Channel TA10 0EZ

Review of "Living Pretty, Curry Rivel"

published 27/09/2015 | LiveMusicLoverLyn
Member since : 23/03/2014
Who else is listening to David Cassidy music? Another superstar gone too soon. Thanks for all the reads, rates, appreciated esp E rates, every E I give is well deserved.
Pro Amazing, lovely, quality, chic. shabby chic, unique, clean, bright, pet friendly
Cons not ideal for kids or perfect for disabled.
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"~*~*~*~Sitting Pretty with Living Pretty~*~*~*~"

~*~Living Pretty Tea Rooms~*~:

Earlier this year I was recommended a shop for the repair and refurbishment of our wood burner. The place in question is about a 40 minute drive away from our home, so I phoned a few closer options first, however I was so impressed with the quality of customer service and obvious knowledge of the staff that we decided to use the shop in Curry Rivel known as Sandpits Heating and Home Store and what a find it has proven to be. On the same site and run alongside the wood burner, Aga and other heating sales and repairs business is delectable delight of a home store packed with delicious shabby chic or just chic items for the home. And alongside this.... is a thriving cafe. It is the cafe that I am reviewing today:

~*~Where is Curry Rivel:

Curry Rivel is a small town in Somerset, positioned on the A358 which is below the shopping outlet town of Street and above the A303, if you look on the map it is towards Bridgwater and the M5 from Salisbury. In one direction is the County town of Taunton and in the other is Somerton.

~*~Our Latest Visit:

Today was our second visit to the site and we have been planning to have lunch there ever since we enjoyed tea and scones last time. Arriving at 13.00 hours on a Saturday we discovered that the car park was packed, but for one space where someone had partially parked their 4x4 into the only remaining bay. My car is not small; however I do have good manoeuvring skills if I say so myself, so I carefully reversed into the bay so that my offside wheels were on the white line on my side with more than half of the line visible. The remaining area was a hatched keep clear for resident’s access route and I felt confident that parking in such a way that the said residents would be quite happy that their access route was still easily accessible.

We undertook our shop business first and then with the advantage of a previous visit, I wound my way through the rooms of diners and tables marked ‘Reserved’ to utilise the toilet facilities that are upstairs. As on my previous visit the single toilet with washbasin was clean, sweetly fragranced and pleasant to use. A nice touch was the huge display of ‘cut’ flowers lilies to be precise. I felt sure that they were faux, if so where was the distinctive smell of lilies coming from? I checked the flowers and they were indeed fake, tucked behind them was a small vial of lily fragrance that must be sprinkled onto something to create the realistic smell. Whilst I was discovering the secret upstairs my husband managed to secure us a table in one of the rooms that a team member had quickly cleared and cleaned for our use.

Relieved that they able to fit us in, we perused the menu and eventually after brief discussion deciding on a Coronation Chicken and Salad Sandwich for myself and Local Cheddar Cheese with Homemade Chutney for my husband both on Granary bread, along with a pot of tea for two.

The tea was brought promptly using lovely vintage china, although when I went to pour I noticed that my cup had an oily sheen, so I easily attracted the attention of a waitress who cheerfully and apologetically removed the cup and returned it soon after saying that she had washed it up and thought I’d like it back because it matched the saucer and the cup and saucer my husband had. I was quite happy with the handling of the issue.

Soon after and surprisingly quick considering how busy they were our sandwiches arrived, brought to our table by a lovely, cheerful young lady whose bubbly enthusiasm was endearing and placed before us where two rounds of sandwiches served on heart shaped slates and with side salad and coleslaw. The sandwiches were packed full, mine to the extent that they were difficult to eat in the traditional way and a knife and fork is therefore provided for those patrons who didn’t spend a good deal of their teenage years in the USA and are therefore happy to use fingers for eating in public! The sandwiches were perfect. Delicious, fresh bakery bread, real butter and fresh salad and filling. Furthermore, so filling we did not feel the need for anything else and managed to therefore resist the temptation of some of their lovely looking cake. The pot of tea was sufficient for several top-ups and was Twinning Breakfast Tea, several other blends are available. When we visited and when I started the review the menu was available on-line. Now that I want to refer to it and add a specific link it appears to have been taken down.

So, from memory they serve such delights as:

Aga Baked Potatoes with various fillings
Homemade soup of the Day
A selection of sandwiches on fresh bakery bread
Toasty melts with various fillings
Breakfast
Toasted tea cake
Scones, plain, savoury and fruited
Variety of homemade cakes
Ice cream
Selection of teas
Selection of coffees
Soft drinks

I also noticed that Living Pretty are licensed to sell alcohol and they sell a limited selection of wine, including champagne as well as cider and beers.

A few choices of set afternoon teas are available as well.

Prices are higher than say Pret A Manger and comparable or slightly higher than pub grub. Having eaten there twice now I believe the prices are fair. The lunch for two came in at around £18.00 so with a much deserved tip we spent a little over £20.00.

Food & Service 5/5

~*~The Claim:

‘The Teashop at Living Pretty offers a home from home ambiance where you can relax in the surroundings of the shabby chic mismatching interiors and try homemade seasonal dishes cooked on the Rayburn. All our produce is locally sourced within Somerset and everything is made on site including the delicious selection of mouth-watering cakes.

The teashop at Living Pretty is the perfect place to meet friends and enjoy a scrumptious breakfast, a light lunch with a glass of wine or experience a traditional afternoon cream tea.’ (accessed September 2015).

~*~Clientele:

What I liked about the cafe, is not only the lovely surroundings that are clean and bright, I also like the ambience of the place, the cheerful staff and the obvious fact that they were happy to cater for a wide customer base. For example on our first visit there was three generations of a family enjoying a catch up, I did not deliberately eavesdrop, but they were at the table next to us and it is was touching to see how one of the ladies was with the elderly lady. On the same day there were a couple of plasterers enjoying a hearty breakfast and a few men there having a business meeting as well as a few “ladies that lunch” and casual people like us dressed in our gardening garb. On our second visit they were much busier and I noticed again a lot of multi generation family groups, some ladies at lunch, some ramblers and some lads who looked like university students, who may have been there to check the waitresses out? And a few other couples of various ages. As well as the various rooms that make up the cafe there is a courtyard that in August and September was resplendent with healthy, bright hanging baskets and lovely garden accessories, they welcome dogs into the courtyard area and there was a group enjoying their lunch who had their dog with them.

I would not suggest for a moment that Living Pretty would not gladly welcome children, however the layout surroundings and the sheer number of beautiful tactile and some highly breakable items for sale that surround some of the tables deem this is not the ideal place to bring young children. I did not see any evidence of a play area or toys to accommodate our little people, so I would suggest that well behaved older children, maybe those attached to their tech and teenagers as part of a family group would enjoy a visit, whilst those with younger children would be better to seek out somewhere designed for children or that is more clinical. The plus side to this is that not everyone wants to enjoy their lunch or tea surrounded by other peoples snotty, noisy, loveable little rogues, so a USP of Living Pretty is that you are unlikely to need to do so. As so many pubs now rely on the food element, there are now few places that are deemed “adult only” so actually, this should be seen as an advantage. I can see many occasions where this could be deemed as such. Even the most dedicated parent needs time away from the children now and again and the last thing you want when having a few hours away from your own is to find yourself bombard with the tantrums of someone else’s brood. Of course, if you find yourself in the South West area in general and want a child orientated cafe check out my Rowdy Cow review! 5/5

~*~Access & Parking:

The cafe can be accessed from the front and via the heating shop at the rear; it is also possible to access via another exit from the shop to the courtyard and to get to the courtyard via the small garden shop area directly off of the car park. There are as I recall two disabled parking spaces. However, it is worth noting that whilst the courtyard is fairly level to get to that the inside has a lot of character and is therefore not the easiest for someone to manoeuvre if they have ambulatory issues and whilst I am sure the lovely team there would be glad to welcome a wheelchair user, I suspect that they would need a courtyard table. It is worth noting as well that the single toilet is upstairs. 3/5

The car park is tarmac, well laid out to maximise spaced and shared with the heating shop and garden accessories area that are also part of the building. Due to the nature of the main road through Curry Rivel the car park is not signposted and we parked on the road for our first visit. The car park is accessed via a side road that runs alongside the shop as is immediately behind the building on your right. There is parking on the road opposite for about six cars as well.
The parking is limited, however they have made the absolute best of what they have so 5/5 for parking.

~*~Layout:

The tea room seems to comprise of a main L shaped area that surrounds the kitchen and service area, where you go to pay, these rooms although containing a few pieces that are displayed from the shop are fairly obviously cafe rooms. They do however retain a certain shabby chic and homely, farmhouse kitchen feel that ensures the place is incredibly inviting. Other rooms are part of the shop that include tables that are used for the tea room, so you are then surrounded by all sorts of lovely tempting textiles, accessories and so on for the home. As well as these area’s there is as described above the courtyard that is accessed via the smaller part of the L shaped area.

The kitchen can easily be observed as there is an open doorway at the service area and another at the rear of the kitchen.

The whole is rooms that have utilised for the cafe purpose and you have a feeling of exploration and adventure that is coupled with the homely, friendly feel. As the house is old, they cannot really take any credit for the layout, just for how they have chosen to use it. 5/5

~*~Cleanliness:

Despite being an old building and packed with shabby chic accessories, everywhere is spotless clean and bright. The tables are cleared extremely promptly an any spillages onto the floor dealt with expeditely. Faultless 5/5

~*~Conclusion:

I cannot rate this cafe highly enough, yes the prices are somewhat higher than some other outlets, but everything is fresh and homemade, the service is outstanding and the ambience of the place is welcoming and inviting with a homely feel. That they are so busy without advertising and positioned as they are in a quiet little place away from the hustle and bustle of shopping areas or fast traffic is testimony enough to how good this place is. Everything is clearly well thought out with a mind to bringing the customer the best possible food and service whilst therefore maximising profit and why shouldn’t they profit from the hard work that has clearly and seemingly effortlessly gone into the place!

This is a gem of tea shop/cafe in Somerset, if you are ever in the area, please do try and detour to visit. I’ll certainly detour myself to visit there again any chance I get.

~*~Total Stars:

Please forget the dropped scores for access, it is a fair point, however, traditional old houses and character don’t lend well to disabled facilities and I do believe that they have done the best they can for the clientele. The courtyard is lovely and it is impossible to please all of the people all of the time.

I cannot give this little gem less than full marks and therefore I have to award full 5/5
Thanks for reading & check out the website at http://livingpretty.co.uk/

• justarube published 22/08/2017
    Lovely
  • jo-1976 published 03/08/2016
    Sounds worthy of a detour!
  • BNibbles published 17/10/2015
    Back with an E as soon as Ciao lets me. I'll keep an eye out for this as we now live quite close.