Health Appliances - Blood Pressure Monitor

Review of "Lloyds Pharmacy Blood Pressure Monitor"

published 03/03/2012 | Alert4u
Member since : 18/02/2012
Family man, married, currently cruising UK canal network on our narrowboat. Lifetime of work and business experience in sales, marketing, design and photography. Many good friends.
Pro Can help to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Cons Not to be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis.

"HELP STAY HEALTHY WITH A LLOYDS PHARMACY BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR."

AUTOMATIC BLOOD PRESSURE MONITOR - LLOYDS PHARMACY MODEL

When my doctor diagnosed high blood pressure and explained the increased risk of a heart attack or stroke, I preferred to make simple yet sustainable changes to my diet and lifestyle for long term benefit rather than become dependent on medication.

As part of my new self-help programme I decided to invest in a blood pressure monitor so that I could check myself on a regular basis. Prompted by an advert on TV, I selected a unit from the models available at Lloyds Pharmacy. My first step was to take a reading from my new monitor and keep a record of my progress (or lack of it) over a period of time.

Simply by becoming more aware of the fat, sugar and salt content of food (refer to nutrition information on labelling) my state of health became much improved. Over a period of 22 months, not only did I shed over 2 stones in weight and lose 6 inches off my waistline, but also my blood pressure readings went from a dangerous 175 over 100 to a relatively normal 128 over 82.

Supplied in a soft case, the Lloyds Pharmacy blood pressure monitor is stylish and practical unit and anyone with experience of having had his or her blood pressure taken will be familiar with the type of armband that comes with the device. No assistance is required to wrap it around the upper arm and the hook & loop pads sewn to the armband keep it firmly in place. A thin rubber tube leads from the armband to the monitor itself which, is powered by 2 AA batteries When you press the “on” button, a digital display lights up showing two “zero’s” and a “heart” symbol. These are the systolic and diastolic readings and, pulse rate. Pressing the start button activates the unit and pumps air through the tube to inflate the armband. As it does so, the readings begin to increase steadily to quite a high level and the armband constricts the arm to noticeable degree. After 20 seconds or so the unit automatically stops pumping and the armband begins to slowly deflate. The numbers on the display gradually decrease until suddenly, the armband completely deflates and the digits on the display remain fixed. These static figures are the results of the test.

The leaflet supplied with the unit shows how to interpret the results but accuracy is obviously a very important consideration. When I first told my doctor that I was using the monitor, he suggested that I bring it to the surgery to compare readings with his professional and regularly calibrated device. I am pleased to report that this simple test confirmed the accuracy and reliability of my personal instrument.

To conserve power, the unit will turn itself off after a while and will also warn the user when the batteries need replacing.

There is no substitute for proper medical advice but because it’s all too easy to slip into bad habits, I feel that a Lloyds Pharmacy blood pressure monitor can help to maintain a happy and healthy lifestyle. A pattern of normal readings will provide comfort, whereas abnormal or widely fluctuating results might suggest a reason to visit the doctor for a further examination.

My opinion is based on the features and benefits of my particular model, which was available on special offer at the time of purchase at £9.99. Due to continuing improvements in design etc., the styles and prices of the latest models may vary from the unit shown.

• Nar2 published 04/03/2012
    Very handy review here, nicely written.
  • lorrainek90 published 03/03/2012
    I had this monitor, until i broke the cuff, they dont make replacements for this particular model anymore so I got the newest model for £15 with a cuff. I have to admit, lloyds do make great quality blood pressure monitors :) great review, and glad to hear your blood pressure is settled