Loews, Atlanta

Loews, Atlanta

Loews Atlanta is located in Atlanta, Georgia. Hotel Features. 24 hour front desk Fitness equipment Business center Guestrooms.

Review of "Loews, Atlanta"

published 30/08/2017 | anonymili
Member since : 10/10/2002
Am unlikely to rate you if you've overall received more ratings than you've given. Trying hard to get my "mojo" back but it's proving difficult....
Pro Very luxurious comfortable rooms
Cons Poor sound-proofing, less than polite service in restaurant
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Loews Hotel Atlanta - Almost Perfect Luxury!"

15th floor room at Loews, Atlanta

15th floor room at Loews, Atlanta

I had reason to stay at Loews Hotel in Atlanta earlier this year for 4 nights. I didn’t have any say in the choice of hotel as it was for a business trip for a work conference which was based at the hotel.

~*~Arrival & Check-in~*~

Having flown into Atlanta Airport, the taxi journey cost approximately $40 to the hotel and took about 30 minutes. On arrival at the hotel at around 21:30 the door staff held open the doors for me but didn’t offer to take my cases. Check in was friendly and quick – there were 2 reception desks from what I could see as well as a concierge desk, but the basics I was expecting to be told about the hotel and facilities weren’t covered and as I was tired after a long flight from London (albeit having flown Business Class), I wasn’t in the mood to ask questions about what I could do the following day in the local area, as I had a free day before the conference started. I had eaten lots on the flight so wasn’t in need of an evening meal.

Finding my way to the lifts I made my way to the room on the 15th floor with my cases.

~*~The Room~*~

I was very pleasantly surprised when I walked in to see a large and roomy and what I felt was a very luxurious room. The bed was enormous and there was a good sized desk for me to work at. The windows were from floor to ceiling right across the room and I had a pretty decent view from my room; as the hotel is surrounded by other buildings, and some of them not so attractive to look at; I did feel lucky that I was on the side that had a view of a hotel across the room with a swimming pool.

The desk was placed closed enough to the wall to access a range of plug and charging points which I found very handy during my stay. The chair at the desk was of very good quality and very comfortable to work at.

The TV was a good quality flat screen, obviously one doesn’t expect to see CRT TVs in hotels anymore, and had ample channels to browse through. There was a mini bar with snacks as well, which I didn’t use during my stay. I could have expensed food and beverage items from the room but I don’t believe in paying over the odds for mini bars, even if my employer is footing the bill.

The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I can remember sleeping in ever for a business hotel. It was really conducive to a good night’s sleep although of the 4 nights I stayed at the Loews I had interrupted sleep every single night. The reason for this was the lack of sound proofing in the room for street noise. Now if you consider I was on the 15th floor, I really wasn’t expecting to hear people’s car stereos up that high, but no, people of Atlanta seem to like their music LOUD and INTRUSIVE. Imagine being able to hear someone’s car stereo 15 floors up at 2am? Or 4am? And not forgetting the police sirens through the night, I was woken every night during my stay by loud music and sirens which left me feeling a bit worn out during the conference for which I was actually staying at the hotel!

Wardrobe space was quite limited – I found it was sufficient for 1 person staying 4 or 5 days. If I had been staying longer and had my partner with me, we would have struggled for hanging space. There was lots of drawer space though and 2 bedside cabinets. I would say the room lighting was a bit limited for my requirements for getting ready in the evening but enough lighting available during the day with the floor to ceiling windows. There were lamps above both bedside tables and even an alarm clock provided on one of the bedside tables.

I would add here that there’s free wi-fi in the rooms and public areas of the hotel and this worked really well during my whole stay and was very easy to connect to. I almost forgot to mention how excellent the air conditioning was in the room too. During my stay the temperatures were 30-35 degree every day but the room was the prefect temperature for me and well and truly helped me keep my cool ïŠ

~*~Bathroom~*~

The bathroom was just perfect with an oversized bath and a separate shower unit. There was a range of good quality Julien Farel toiletries including shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body cream (all anti-aging), a box of tissues, cotton buds and cotton balls, face soap and body soap along with a range of luxurious towel sizes and a powerful hairdryer. I didn’t have any complaints about the bathroom at all – the power shower was fabulous!

Oh, and there’s a TV in the bathroom (which I didn’t use during my stay)!

~*~Dining/Bar~*~

My only experience of dining in the hotel restaurant (Saltwood) was at breakfast for several days of my stay). I have to say the service was rather poor from the breakfast staff, they came across as if they were doing you a huge favour to take your order for breakfast and to add insult to injury when the bill was presented, they made a point of saying that the service was not included – needless to say, I did NOT add a tip to the bill on any of the days. Breakfast was around $20 but be warned; they add taxes to almost every price that is listed.

On one of the days I had the Piedmont Park breakfast which I thought was a good deal at $14 but it was another $4 for orange juice and $2 for sausages. I was a bit dismayed at the barely toasted toast, almost burnt bacon and overly cooked sausages (see photo) which in total came to $21.78 including tax. I think our buffet breakfasts available in UK business hotels are much better quality and value!

The staff in the bar were very pleasant, professional and friendly so I was more than happy to leave a tip when ordering and paying for drinks. The bar stocks a wide selection of spirits and the staff were very good at making a fabulous range of speciality drinks and cocktails.

I didn’t have lunch or dinner at the hotel as I chose to eat out with friends on my free day (especially after the poor service at breakfast) and the other days, lunch was provided during the conference and we ate out at local restaurants in the evenings. I can’t comment on the meals provided during the conference as this didn’t seem to be part of the hotel but a conference facilities provider next door.

~*~Spa~*~

The hotel boasts a relaxing spa which I visited during my stay to have a look around which included a steam room and sauna. It was a lovely welcoming environment and had lovely little shop where you can buy spa and gift items (which I took advantage of buying items like a mustard bath pack priced at $4.25 and a lavender pouch – can’t recall the price). The staff were very welcoming and when I said I wanted to have a look around inside, they were most obliging and said to help myself and take my time. As well as a very spacious and luxurious interior there were some lovely sun loungers out on the balcony.

The spa is open from 6am on weekdays closing between 8 and 9pm and 8-8 on weekends. There is also a fitness facility which is opened 24 hours a day.

~*~Other Facilities/Info~*~

The hotel shop is called Market Eleven and stocks souvenir items as well as products from local artists. Prices are reasonable and the shop is worth a browse.

There’s also a Business Centre which offers access to PCs, printing and scanning facilities. The service is available 24 hours a day to guests with access via their room key.

There is underground parking available which is charged to your room bill. I didn’t use this service so I’m not sure how much it costs.

The staff members outside the hotel entrance are happy to book taxis for you which arrive very promptly. There is also a hotel car available which takes you within a few miles radius of the hotel for free and picks you up. I didn’t use this service myself during my stay though.

I found that the area surrounding the hotel was less than desirable. If you’re walking outside in the afternoon or evening (or going out for a smoke) I noted that there were many people asking for money and being generally quite creepy. I did find myself feeling quite unsafe so made a point of not venturing outside without a companion.

I don't know if this is a family friendly hotel, I didn't see ANY children at all during my stay. It does really seem more tailored to business guests.

~*~Wanna Know More?~*~

The address for Loews Atlanta is 1065 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta GA 30309. The telephone number is 001 404 745 5000. The hotel website is here: https://www.loewshotels.com/atlanta-hotel

The hotel has 414 luxurious rooms including 44 suites. I had a superior king room which is around 375 sq feet.

Loews as a hotel brand has been around since 1960 and specialises in luxury hotels and resorts in the US and Canada. There are around 25 hotels in the brand and the hotel chain is part of the bigger Loews Corporation

Be sure to check your bill when checking out. I found I had been charged some bar drinks to my room which I knew I hadn’t ordered (drink names that I’d never even heard of) – I paid cash at the bar as I knew I couldn’t claim back my bar charges from my expenses and I like to keep my bills/receipts for work expenses tidy. Reception rectified the error and re-issued my bill but I didn’t find them apologetic about the mistake at all. Also be sure to allow for the various extra taxes that get added to your room bill per night which seemed to increase the overall cost by 25%.

~*~Rating~*~

My overall rating despite some of the niggles I mentioned is a decent 4 out of 5 stars. The room comfort couldn’t be faulted and I doubt that there are any better hotels in the area. Personally I wouldn’t go to Atlanta again if I had a choice.

NB: for those interested - my hotel bill came to around $1200 for 4 days including breakfasts and various taxes. This would differ for anyone booking as we had a corporate rate for a large booking so you would have to check the relevant cost yourself when booking.

• NBCMad92 published 05/09/2017
    Great review, sorry I am out of E for today.
  • NBCMad92 published 05/09/2017
    Great review, sorry I am out of E for today.
  • euphie published 03/09/2017