Review of "Logan (DVD)"

published 03/01/2018 | Immyvasi29
Member since : 13/12/2014
Student, enjoy writing film reviews and occasionally gadget reviews :D Open to all help and opinions keep it PG guys got no time for time wasters and bullshitters. Love to hear your views
Pro Cast, characters, performance, story, action choreography
Cons Its Jackmans final film as Logan
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Logan - Film Review"

17 years, 9 films, 1 iconic character and 1 outstanding actor. I think it’s safe to say that Hugh Jackman did the character of Wolverine/Logan justice in ways people could have never have imagined. In 2017, we finally received the Wolverine that fans, including myself, were waiting for ever since the first appearance of this character in X-Men (2000, Dir: Bryan Singer). 17 years later, we finally get the Wolverine we deserve.

James Mangold and Hugh Jackman return to the big screen with style with one of, if not the best, superhero film of the year, Logan.

CAST
Stephen Merchant – Caliban
Richard E Grant – Dr Rice
Eriq La Salle – Will Munson

STORY
In the near future, an old and weary Logan (Hugh Jackman) makes his living as a chauffeur somewhere on the Mexican border, taking on the duty of looking after the ailing Professor X (Patrick Stewart) who is hidden away from the diminished mutant population. However, their attempts to hide from the world are threatened when a young mutant (Dafne Keen) arrives seeking the help of Logan, which leads them all on a wild run from the dark forces pursuing this young mutant. What follows is a series of action packed, intense and thrilling series of events that keep you thoroughly entertained throughout.

MY VIEW
Phenomenal. That’s the only word that comes to mind when thinking of Logan. I remember when they announced the story and release date of Logan and I was so excited that they were finally doing the Old Man Logan storyline, just because we see a different side of our character, a much more damaged, old and tired version of him. Since childhood, I have been a loyal and diehard of Wolverine and always will be and I can safely say, this is my favourite film out of the Wolverine trilogy and even the entire X-Men saga. This film had everything in it, action, emotion, thrill, entertainment, I could go on for hours. I can’t say too much in this review as I would HATE to spoil it for those who haven’t seen it, which you should go and do, like right now.

Hugh Jackman, words cannot describe the talent of this man. Keeping a role for 17 years, staying loyal to the character and giving it his all every time, hats off to you man. In my view, he gives a career defining performance in this film and deserves huge amounts of recognition for this. This being his last film as the character of Logan/Wolverine (truly sad to see him go), you can see on screen his dedication and commitment to the role. Seeing how the film was made was breath taking. Watching him record the sounds for his character is something I’d recommend it just so you can hear the anger, pain and emotion in his voice. It’s one thing portraying a character on screen using facial expressions and body language, but the vocals that Jackman provides throughout are amazing. We’ve been shown this character who is just a badass and heals from every injury, always being the first to throw himself into the action, which is why it’s so nice and fresh to see a different side of this character, a more vulnerable side to him. This shows us that even mutants, like humans, have weaknesses and are not indestructible. Watching this in cinemas was an experience to remember and watching Jackman on screen was a treat of epic proportions. Jackman stuns and shines in his final bout as the badass character, giving a brilliant, emotional and fantastic performance and farewell to the much-loved character.

Patrick Stewart, also giving his final performance as Professor X, also gives a great and memorable performance. Even though he’s weary and old in the film with little movement in scenes, he manages to give a great performance and also shows us a different side the character

Dafne Keen blows you away. Where has she come from???? It’s simply an on-screen explosion of action, emotion and thrill whenever she comes on screen. She is fantastic, and hopefully should be back for more roles in the X-Men universe as the badass X-23.

Boyd Holbrook gives a top performance as our villain after X-23 throughout the film with his cyborg hand proving to be very useful in certain scenes (like I said no spoilers).

James Mangold gives one of the finest films of his career, picking up from where he left of with The Wolverine, and does the character justice.
I loved the previous Wolverine films, I thought they were great, even though they didn’t do so well with others. But I think that the 15+ / R rating of this film, gave it a lot more space to play with and explore options that they couldn’t before and it is evident in the film. The action scenes are choreographed so well and we get all the intense action and gore we’ve been waiting for, for the last 17 years with our beloved Logan in action.

CRTICAL RESPONSE
Logan received a very impressive 8.1/10 on IMDb and 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and was received very well worldwide.
It managed a total gross of roughly $616,795,600 on a $91 million budget, which is extremely impressive.
It’s been nominated for a whole range of awards for 2018 and has won others including best screenplay and best duo.

Personally, this was my favourite film of 2017 and possibly favourite Marvel film of all time. Being a wolverine fan since I was a child I feel like this was the film where we were finally introduced to the brutal badass that Logan is. It is truly a shame that Jackman will not be returning to carry on the role but does give us fans a fantastic and phenomenal final performance and goodbye to a classic and legendary character. Logan is now available on Blu-ray and DVD from all major retailers and supermarkets as well as online from Amazon.

A phenomenal film. An easy 5 stars.

• 1st2thebar published 17/01/2018
    How can a wolverine which is a carnivorous vertebrate that looks like a small bear be worth many millions?
  • Soho_Black published 10/01/2018
    Let's just hope they leave it here and don't try to do more Wolverine films with a different actor.
  • danielalong published 06/01/2018