Review of "Logitech Z200"

published 26/11/2015 | DontLookBackInAnger
Member since : 11/06/2015
My aim is to return all rates, if I miss you out please leave a message in my guestbook. Thanks for the welcome.
Pro Very good sound quality, attractive, low cost
Cons Sometimes muffled in action sequences when headphones are plugged in
Sound quality
Design
Range of extra features / functions
Instruction manual

"Unrivalled sound quality from these PC speakers"

WHAT

A pair of speakers made by Logitech purchased over two years ago and kept in regular use since purchase. They are simple speakers with an attractive outward design, the functions are what I'd expect from a set of speakers in this price bracket and they perform all that's asked of them without any fanfare or dissent.

WHY

These mains powered portable speakers were bought to use with a desktop PC I had then but when that went I realised I liked their sound enough to start keeping them in our large kitchen and connecting them to my laptop when I carried it in there to use. We were already using speakers in the kitchen but the bold black and white design of these fitted the decor better than the pig shaped ones the Mrs had bought a few weeks before.

MY THOUGHTS

The design is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of these speakers as I think they have a retro monochrome look that is modern and historical funk at the same time, the dial makes the main speaker stand out but not as much as this addition can on other speakers as Logitech have printed their logo on the second speaker in a position that matches up alright with the dial.

Sound quality is very good, the best I've found so far and the most versatile as there's no genre of music or spoken accent that suffers from being played through them. The volume control is responsive and will allow for a wide volume range, located on the side of the speaker is also a very good bass control that can easily be tweaked if the music you've chosen to listen to doesn't sound right. There's no mute button and as there's a bit of give in the volume dial it's usually quicker to mute the sound on the laptop than twist the dial all the way round to off, that's only when you need sudden silence for example if your phone rings while you're listening to music or watching a movie on your laptop.

The sound is definitely rich enough for you to be able to listen to a movie, watched Jurassic World last night in the kitchen with my laptop plugged into the speakers and could hear every roar, ragged scared breath and gnash of dinosaur teeth. Before that I watched The Polar Express with my niece while we were eating dinner and even the gentle speech in that movie was played in such high quality that you could have heard a pin drop in my dining room, a vast improvement on the full blown nuclear meltdown that usually happens at mealtimes with that young girl. I've watched most genres and had the sound played through these speakers, they're not surround sound but the quality of everything is superior to other PC speakers I've used and this is the only set out of dozens that I've kept for longer than a few months.

You have the option of plugging more than one audio device into these speakers at a time and switching between them. I don't have a reason to do this as as good as these speakers are they can't compare to my Apple dock and I wouldn't choose under any circumstances to listen to the music I have stored on my phone, tablet or iPod using these speakers and they will all connect and be much richer in sound using the dock. The Mrs has plugged her laptop into the Logitech speakers but I'm the main user by about 90% as she doesn't do much online apart from uploading photos of her dinner to Instagram and you don't need speakers for that. They've worked with a variety of laptops and also play smooth and strong audio when headphones are plugged into the speakers, though sound effects on action films can suffer when you do that as through headphones explosions and hectic crowd scenes can be more muffled than I'd want if watching a movie in that genre.

Twin 2.5" drivers in each speaker offer a very rich and climatic sound, the bass control is very useful when listening to different genres of movie or music as you have the control of setting the sound to as close to perfect for you as possible. The maximum power is 10 watts, they're not going to ever shatter your windows with powerful music but the smooth and almost perfect audio they create at every volume setting is to be praised, especially if you're used to using a pair of external speakers that don't offer such rich sound.

WHERE AND HOW

The most obvious place you'll find this model of Logitech speakers is amazon.co.uk where the set costs £23.24 (check Black Friday tomorrow). On the high street PC World and Staples sell the Z200 speaker set but the price is higher at £27, but still worth the cost in my opinion as they are versatile speakers with a longer life expectancy than most PC speakers.

• Violet1278 published 17/07/2016