London - Edward Rutherfurd

London - Edward Rutherfurd

Review of "London - Edward Rutherfurd"

published 30/07/2011 | Curly1966
Member since : 30/07/2011
Pro Fiction, but still teaches you so much about the history of London
Cons It's a very long book (800 pages) and the paperback kind of fell apart
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"Edward Rutherford's London is one of my favourite books"

I love London and I love history so it's probably not surprising that Edward Rutherford's London is one of my all-time favourite books. Although it is fiction, it covers so many of the major events of history that you learn heaps, but also you get an amazing sense of the changing face of London - how it looked, how it felt, how it smelt etc. Rutherford gives you maps and family trees showing how his characters over the centuries are linked - and I found myself regularly thumbing back to check out where something was on the map, or to remind myself of someone's mother, grandfather etc - which is quite possibly why my paperback copy fell to bits! Quite apart from the incredible feat of showing the timeline of history in (in my view) the most amazing city in the world, he also presents a number of families whose stories intertwine with a straightforward easy-read technique. There's no flowery verse here. I've read it countless time and would recommend it to anyone interested in history or London.

• cha97michelle published 31/07/2011
    That sounds like one you need to concentrate on or get confused easily.
  • laurahartleyy published 30/07/2011
    I love history-related fiction books too :)

Product Information : London - Edward Rutherfurd

A story that follows the River Thames as it flows through the heart of London from the days of the Romans through 16 centuries to the Victorian engineers who gave the city so many of its famous bridges to the Dockland development of today.

EAN: 9780099201915