London Gatwick, LGW

London Gatwick, LGW

Airport

Review of "London Gatwick, LGW"

published 02/08/2004 | Topazblue69
Member since : 10/02/2003
Pro Easily accessible by road or rail
Cons does not offer night flights

"London Gatwick - a higher class of flying"

I live not far from Gatwick and use it not just as hub to get a plane for A to B but for many other reasons too.

I'm originally from Liverpool so I'm not biased.

I'm recommending Gatiwick because I feel it puts the other UK airports to shame. Ok it only has one runway. But it has two terminals.
Full to the brim of Shops!!!!

Which reminds mme to mention that Gatwick is one of the few airports who have bought into the baa worldpoints shceme which allows you to pick up points when spending money in any of the shops, tax-free and before the point of no return.
You and then exchange the points for rewards such as upgrade to first class on the gatwick express or as I have exchange them for air miles. Check out www.baa.com for more details. Gatwick like most airports now also allows you to collect your purchased goods on return.

Travelling to and from the airport. Gatwick is accessible by road via the M25 and M23 not to mention the A23. It often tends to be less busy than Heathrow which has to be a bonus!

You can also get a train to Gatwick. Trains run 24 hours a day from London Victoria ( I know!!!! - I normally use the service on a saturday night after clubbing in london). There are two different train providers running between Gatwick and Victoria alone, not to mention those that operate to Brighton, Luton, Bedford and so on.

The gatwick express, the non-stop service from Victoria costs ~ £14 for a return. And is a comfortable and clean ride. Taking roughly 35 mins.

Some of the operators trains although cheaper, can be more dirty and so I would advise against them unless you need to stop before reaching london city centre.

Parking at Gatwick is brilliant service to a bus runs from the long stay car park to the terminal approx. every 10 mins although I always seem to manage to plan it just right - luck I suppose. It costs under £8 per day to park your car in the long stay, so if you are going to need to park for more than 3 hours it tends to work out cheaper to park in the long stay than the short stay.

There is also a shuttle which runs betwen both terminals which makes catching connections so much faster and easier.

The staff I have always found to be most helpful and the toilets and general interior of the airport always appears spotless.

• lazza123 published 03/08/2004
    I'm sitting there right now, in my office!! Larry
  • Delicate_Orchid published 02/08/2004
    I am a real Heathrow girl for some reason... I think it is the extra cost involved in getting to Gatwick. Welcome to Ciao! Desiree
  • critical_writer published 02/08/2004
    Welcome to Ciao mate! I don't like to give low ratings, but Ciao is extremely competitive. You'll have to expand on your review, write more and add more details especially. Give it a revamp, then leave me a message and I'll change my rating aight? Would appreciate if you would at some of my work. Yours truly,