Review of "London Underground"

published 02/10/2004 | perfect
Member since : 31/08/2002
Satisfactory
Pro essential
Cons crowded noisy and dirty
Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
Safety of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?

"A neccasary evil"

We all have to do things we don't like sometimes - the dentist, visiting the in-laws, paying the council tax....personally i'd include shopping in that list, and the London Underground has definitely joined it.
I know those of you who aren't in London very often are probably under the impression that i moan about anything and everything, but i'm looking out my window at a a rainbow, and am very cheerful, thankyou very much. It's just that i've been living in London for almost 25 years now, and i can tell you the shine has come off it.
Don't get me wrong, i don't know where we'd be without it, but that's the problem. It's not too long ago that the only realistic way of crossing the Channel for most of us was by ferry, and the fact that they had a captive market meant the ferry companies had to make little effort in maintaining any sort of standards of service, and the same goes for the Tube.
I'm completely in agreement with Ken Livingstone's congestion zone, and i think we should all be using public transport whenever we can, but if at all possible i try to use the bus nowadays.
The cheapest fare is £2.20 - to even go one stop - with reports that fares are about to rise by 10%, so it's basically a fiver if you want to come home as well!
My advice, if you're visiting London, is to go to the tube station and ask for a bus map.
And why are there signal failures almost every day? Once they're fixed, why don't they stay fixed??
If you're in a rush, however, the tube is essential. Despite the congestion charging, buses take roughly 3 times as long as long to cover the same journey, so if you need to catch a train, like i say, sometimes we've all got to do things we don't want to do.....

P.S. Did any of you who use the Tube regularly know that unti the 1930's the Metopolitan line trains included a buffet carriage? Tablecloths, tasteful lighting etc. Can you imagine it nowadays????

• fantasybeliever published 02/10/2004
    Sorry for the low rating, but there is so much more to London Underground than the subject matter you covered. Torr (below) has summed it up perfectly. If you edit your review let me know and I'll happily re-read. Cheers. Christina ;-) x
  • torr published 02/10/2004
    You write as a practised user, with some plaintive complaints. It would be helpful to those who aren't so well-acquainted with the tube to give some background info: extent of system, frequency of trains and how late they run, the different lines and ease of changing from one to another. Hope this helps. Duncan

Product Information : London Underground