Review of "London Underground"

published 19/07/2005 | ploddy100
Member since : 18/07/2005
Satisfactory
Pro Frequent service, comfortable seats
Cons Pain to get down to underground level, crowded in rush hour
Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?
How well does it cater for disabled people?

"The LU in rush hour-the story in short.(Zone 1)"

Ok, here is a simple short review of the London underground in rush hour----dont do it!!!!!!!! I did work experience in London a couple of weeks ago and i have come to the simple solution that you should take a bus.....or a taxi. After experimenting on various ways to reach london victoria from London Waterloo i came to the conclusion to get the bus instead.
First, to reach the lower lines you have to take at least 2 escalators and walk around a variety of tunnels to reach the train in the first place, then the same when you get to your destination. On short journeys it is not worth the money either, with a zone 1 travelcard or single journey in zone 1 rising in price regularly.
Trains run incredibly frequently-around every three minutes in peak times, but they are always packed. Here we run into our problem. Too many people use the tubes, creating a rushed, packed, and incredibly hot atmosphere around. Trains are very varied, with picadilly line trains being impressively modern, but older district line ones depressingly out of date.
So, the long and short of it is, for me. That the LU is acceptable in non-peak times, when it is fairly pleasant, seats are comfy and trains are fairly cool. However, we do face being pushed into a hole, with the congestion charge we cant drive without facing a big charge, and we cant walk because it would tire us out before we got to walk. Those who work in london all know what its like, and people who dont try it one day and see what i mean, its truely awful. I cannot really talk about the LU in general, because it is a massive network, with hundreds of miles of track and hundreds of trains. But i hope i have given you a snapshot of the London underground between 08:00-10:00 and 17:00-19:00.
But my advice is, if you can avoid it, avoid it. But I realise, for many, its the only way of getting around London.
My tips: Travel at off peak times where the tube is a fairly pleasant experience.
Take a bus. a route map can be found here:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/borough.asp
Use the river boats:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/river/maps/overview.shtml
Use the DLR:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/dlr/
Walk:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/walking/home.shtml
Cycle:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/routes/

Or overground services. Simple things like when you take the Waterloo to Portsmouth lines, change at Clapham to go to Victoria instead of taking the tube.
London has an excellent transport system and the tube is more heavily overloaded than the rest. So in rush hour, i just ask you, could you get to work another way??????
Im sure you will join me in expressing my deep sympathys for the families of the people killed in the bomb attacks on the 7th of July.
More information on the London Underground can be found at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/ .

• MAFARRIMOND published 20/07/2005
    Thank goodness I don't have to use it often. Maureen
  • CareBear published 20/07/2005
    The tube is packed but carefully adjusting your times by as little as 5 to 10 minutes can help. Also, knowing which part of the train to get on, where to stand for the maximum chance of getting a seat etc can all make a bad journey bearable.
  • pinkmatchstick published 20/07/2005
    Nothing wrong with the Underground in my opinion, they've been going 100+ years and you tell me a better solution!

Product Information : London Underground