Review of "London Underground"

published 14/07/2007 | luken
Member since : 14/07/2007
Good
Pro none
Cons none
Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
Safety of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?

"Unwelcome contact"

I have often read over the years about the unwelcome behaviour of male passengers on the underground. Specifically, deliberate contact with female passengers. I would not seek to minimise how upsetting this might be to women, but deliberate contact between the sexes is not limited, in my experience, to the actions of male passengers.

When I was in my early twenties, there were a number of occasions when the tube was fairly packed, but not crowded, when women standing back to back with me purposely pressed themselves against me. My initial response was not to presume it was deliberate but always to move to give the woman more room. Most times that was the end of it, but a number of times the woman again pressed against me. I would then look around, sometimes of course the woman was in no position to avoid contact, but a number of times she had sufficient room to stand well apart from me.

I am not citing these as upsetting events, to be honest sometimes quite the contrary, but merely while acknowledging that
I am sure it happens more to women than men, such contact is not one-sided.

Scuba Angel. Fair comment. I wasn't trying to compare this to groping, but I do know the difference between someone leaning on me for support and unavoidable contact and what happened to me, which was clearly deliberate, and when they could have moved when people got on and off they didn't.

Ayesha you probably wouldn't observe it unless you were looking for it . Nor are you likely to hear discussion of it. Women are not going to admit it and men as the responses to this prove are unlikely to be believed.

• CaptainColonic published 15/07/2007
    This is more a review of how you feel when women touch you rather than a serious informative review of the London Underground network. I would be pleased if a lady wanted to rest up on me but my experience of the underground is that they only do it when their 2 square inches of room on a packed train just isn't enough.
  • shaaza published 14/07/2007
    are u reviewing the underground or the contact of people in busy places like the london underground..? ?????
  • Katieshaz published 14/07/2007