what_now_... 1

what_now_999

Member since:14.12.2010

Compose and Perform, Compose & Perform

22.03.2012

Advantages:
none that I could see

Disadvantages:
, I felt like in 5 months I didn't learn anything usable, and dropped out in the end

Recommendable No:

1. duskmaiden
somewhat helpful by (67%):
  1. KateHurst
  2. Essexgirl2006

in 5 months I learn a lot more on my own with my theory books than I have learned on this course!
First of all, the description of this course on their website does not give an accurate idea of what this course is about! I thought I was going to a course where I could learn from music by Beethoven, Bach, etc, instead it was about music that I don't care about, e.g. contemporary music and silly stuff with an orchestra playing tennis! I am not joking, this course is so pretentious! In my class of about 20 people, some of them didn't even know what is the CIRCLE OF FIFTHS. Now I am not bashing on the students, infact I feel sorry for them, as they are wasting their time with stylistical choices that are irrelevant if you don't have really solid basics in music. This course is for composers who have ALREADY exploited the tonal system and want to do something different. NOT for aspiring composers. Also, in 5 months there were no exercises (which I think is ridiculous, how can you learn anything about composition unless you do a lot of basic exercises to try out the techniques first).

Also the way the course is conducted, is a waste of time. You get there at 6.30, and for the next 2 hours, you just listen to the teacher personal selection of weird music pieces and the music pieces created by the students with virtually almost no instruction other than 'create a collage of music'.

Duh? If I wanted to do that, I could have done it on my own. There was too much music listening and messing around and NOT ENOUGH TEACHING with specific purposes in mind.

If the description of the course had read 'this course deals with contemporary music', I would have never enrolled.

The tutor doesn't respond to emails (and I am not the only one student who wasn't replied to, because other students told me of the same thing).

Worst of all, I politely wrote an email to Goldsmiths about the lacking description of this course, and they didn't even bother to reply, which I thought was outrageous and I was seriously thinking to take the matter further, i.e. complain to Consumer Direct about Goldsmiths' misdescribed course.

My recommendation: make sure you really know what a course is about before forking your money out. And even if I had known exactly what that course was about, I still would not recommend it as it's too abstract and you feel like you are wasting your time and not learning much as there's too much music listening activity and not nearly enough technical explanation

Add the first comment!