Review of "Look"

Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Quantity of advertising

"* Look Out! *"

I first came across Look magazine a few months back ; I was in my local newsagents looking for a magazine , one that I hadn't already got , when I noticed a glossy magazine called 'Look'. On first impression , the magazine reminded me a bit like one of my favourite magazines More , and so basing my decision on this , I went ahead and bought an issue for £1.60 , which I think is fairly reasonable.

The magazine's main focus is celebrity gossip and fashion. I for one ,am not a big fan of fashion. Of course if I like a certain style of top that is in fashion for example , then I will go ahead and buy it , although I am certainly not someone who eagerly awaits to see what next season's look is , although I can honestly say that with this magazine , the fashion parts of it , do seem to interest me despire the fact that there is an absolute lot of them . I think the main reason for this is the fact that it's fashion articles are short and sweet and don't 'drag on and on' like magazines such as Marie Claire do. Although , having said that , a lot of the pages , I end up skipping becaue they have behind the scenes footage at the latest fashion catwalk , and so that just bores me. Something which I think is good is that there is a fashion article , where the magazine picks out around four or five items from each shop which make up an outfit. For example , they will pick a dress , bag and shoes from Primark or a shirt , shorts and bag from Debenhams , although I myself never follow the guides. Although having said that , if I do like a particular top , then I will look out for it when I go shopping. Another good point is that the fashion features is ALWAYS affordable which is good news for those of us watching the pennies.

One of my favourite sections , is of course , the celebrity gossip. I like the fact that the articles are quite different and instead of one long story that becomes one boring story , it uses lots of pictures and different ways of getting the points across without it seeming like an essay. For example , the issue I have infront of me , is the most recent , and the main celebrity story is regarding Cheryl and Ashley Cole's marriage. There is a small section of the latest news , but then the article is accompanied with photos of their relationship , from when they met , to their wedding , to when Ashley cheated the first time , until now , etc , as well as a table with the story from Cheryl's point of view , in terms of how the split will affect her , and also from Ashley's point of view. I find this way of informing the reader to be interesting as it keeps the reader focused.

As well as featuring celebrities , the magazine also lightly focuses on 'real people' too , although , as you may know from my other magazine reviews , I am not too big of a fan of 'real life stories' as they tend to be dramatic and end up scaring me , but with the stories in this magazine , they're short and simple and get to the point. I also like how they run real life stories as part of a bunch of similar stories , such as 'We Save Lives In Our Spare Time' , which consists of four women , each doing their bit to save others , such as giving blood ,and being a counseller on the end of a helpline. I like how the stories are always positive , and rather than just be based on a 'miracle' story , they are in fact stories which everyone can relate to. By this I mean , it teaches us all that by doing little things , we too can help save lives.

I especially love reading the 'travel' bits as they focus on a location such as a 'hotel and spa' or an exotic location. Even if I don't intend on going to the mentioned place , I still love daydreaming about visiting that particular beach just like the celebrities who visit the places.

For those of you who like to be kept up to date with your entertainment, towards the end of the magazine is a page dedicated to entertainment , with a list and reviews of all the latest top tv , films ,DVDs and Music , something I like to keep an eye on , especially if there's a film or album I may be interested in.

For me , one of the best bits is the horoscopes. I loved having a look at what 'my-week-ahead' is looking like ,especially as it tells you your bit , and then has a 'Lookout' bit at the bottom of your sign which says something like 'A favourite song brings you good luck'. Even if they aren't acurate , at least they give you something to look forward to or look out for.

Although I do enjoy this magazine , epsecially the celeb stories , travel , horoscopes and some fashion bits , although it is not a magazine which I woul buy every single week . Yes it interests me , although somehow I feel that there is perhaps a little too much fashion for my liking , unless of course you love fashion. Despite this minor criticism , it certainly isn't enought to put me off the magazine as a whole , however I think I will stick to More magazine as my weekly magazine , and buy Look just as an occasional treat.

Thanks for reading
March 10th 2010
xdonzx (also posted on dooyoo under xd-o-n-z-x)

• paulpry118 published 12/03/2010
    Not a mag I would go for
  • Little-Lily published 11/03/2010