Lotus Elise 340R

Lotus Elise 340R

Coupe - Rear (RWD) - 5 Speed Manual Gearbox - 187 bhp - Petrol

Review of "Lotus Elise 340R"

published 01/07/2001 | Kimpalmer
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Pro Pure driving pleasure
Cons No roof, doors - not the most practical car in the world!
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"340R - Go Kart with Style"

It is terribly unfortunate that I don't own one of these amazing cars. however I have had the pleasure of using one on some rather good roads in Warwickshire. I loved it so much that I need to post a comment on Ciao.

The 340r is a thoroughbread Elise, it is the Elise with out the finesse - it is just a totally pure drivers car.

I love the looks, but many don't, it is often compared to a dune buggy. No doors is probably the first thing you notice. Who needs doors? it is not part of the driving experience, so it doesn't need them. The first task is to clamber over the sills housing the really cool translucent panels. Sitting in the sports seats on the floor, you realise just how low you are actually sitting. Flick the key in the ignition, and a beautiful tuned 1.8l Rover K series engine splutters into life. The car I took out had a sports exhaust, so I was looking forward to hear it at 7000rpm! Blue interior lights look awesome and two neat dials sit infront of you. Firstly this car has a naf turning circle at low speeds - so careful! It took me a few goes to get out of the drive.

On the open road, I let the engine warm up and then I could put my foot down - wow this car is funkin' fast! Now we have all been in fast cars and that is not what the 340R is about, the real fun is when you use your right foot and the steering wheel at the same time! This car simply sticks to the road, unbelievable. The brakes are astounding too. You can brake late in and power early out. 1.8l doesn't sound a lot but the car is so unbelievably light.

The car has its disadvatages, off course, firstly no roof, so it can't exactly be your main car, also the tyres which are specifically manufactured for the 340R by Yokohama are literally slicks, so use them in the wet and you may have problems. However use them in the dry and they will glue you to the road. It really is a track car, so try and use it on the track, but I would be perfectly happy using it on a quiet day in the countryside.

If you enjoy the thrill of driving, do not hesitate to get your hands on one of these. With only 340 made, you don't see them very often and when you do, you STOP and look. There are normally about 6 on the scond hand market kicking about. If you want to find one, go to www.autotrader.co.uk

At least test drive it, you will NOT regret it!

• C_W_Monkey published 15/03/2004
    alright review.. I love these cars!
  • drummingbunny published 02/07/2001
    I like your car ops, but it is 'brakes' not 'breaks'. If a car breaks, there's something wrong with it, if it brakes, well, that's a good thing!