Louis Zante Beach Hotel, Laganas

Louis Zante Beach Hotel, Laganas

Review of "Louis Zante Beach Hotel, Laganas"

published 12/10/2013 | AnneLorraine1
Member since : 02/06/2010
Thanks for taking the trouble to rate my reviews. Happy 2016 everyone x
Pro Lovely hotel with excellent service, on the beach.
Cons Nothing significant
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"CHILLING OUT AT LOUIS ZANTE BEACH HOTEL"

A LOUIS HOTEL

My husband and I decided that instead of spending our main holiday in Cyprus as we have been doing for the past few years, that we would go somewhere different for our main holiday. We both love Cyprus but find that it is too hot for us during July until the middle of September. I still wanted to go somewhere hot, where I could hopefully overdose on sunshine, but just not too hot and humid.
As I love Grecian holidays I thought a holiday on the Greek island of Zakynthos (also known as Zante) might suit myself and my husband.

I had already stayed in three of the Louis group hotels in fact three times in one, and have always been impressed, and so I thought it might be a good idea to try another Louis hotel in Zante.

BOOKING

I chose the Louis Zante Beach Hotel which is a four star hotel. I booked as a package deal through First Choice Holidays. Before booking I did look around first for other tour operators who used this hotel but I found the flight times with First Choice great and the price seemed good, therefore I chose to holiday with this company.

I have holidayed through First Choice many times now so knew what to expect. I looked up the holiday details and prices on-line but then booked by telephone.

I booked the Louis Zante Beach Hotel for a fourteen night stay, commencing on 27th August until 10th September and on an all-inclusive board basis.

CHECKING IN

We travelled from the airport to the hotel on the First Choice/Thomson coach transfer service. The transfer took no more than thirty minutes.

We walked into the hotel with our cases and waited at the reception desk. Several people arrived at the same time and the reception here was quite busy but it was well manned.
Although the reception was busy at this time I was impressed with the quick checking in process. We supplied the usual required details, such as passport numbers, signed a form and also paid a deposit for a room safe and a deposit for the use of pool/beach towels.

We were supplied with information regarding the hotel such as meal times, food outlets, bars etc. An All-inclusive wrist band was attached. We were given a room key which had a magnet attached and this controlled the electricity supply in the room. We were given a safe key and two towels.

Then we were asked to identify our cases so that they could be brought to our room by a porter and were given directions to our room.

I would say that the checking in and the reception service throughout our stay was excellent.
Staff were always helpful and pleasant.

HOTEL ROOMS

Rooms are located on the first and second floor in the main hotel building as well as in bungalows dotted around the hotels extensive grounds.
Our room was situated on the second floor of the hotel building itself.
Inside the hotel there are two lifts for guests. I was pleasantly surprised that we never had to wait long throughout our stay for a lift to be available.

We took a lift to the second floor and found that our room was fairly close to the lifts and staircase; we thought that this was good in respect of not having to walk far but I was worried that it might be noisy at times. However, the room position proved to be ideal; we never found the hotel to be noisy at all.

OUR ROOM

On entering the room the first thing I did was to go over to the patio doors, open them and step out onto the balcony. As a sea view is very important to me I had paid for this as an extra. If I hadn't liked the view then I wouldn't have unpacked but would have instead requested a different room. I know from past experience of the Louis Hotels group that they will endeavour to please their guests.

Well, the view was simply gorgeous. I couldn't complain about my home for the next two weeks.

Our luggage arrived promptly and we unpacked as quickly as we could so that we would have time to go and have a swim in the hotel pool while the sun was still on it.

The room had a large bed and this was one of the most comfortable hotel beds that I have slept in. We may have been fortunate and been given a fairly new bed as some others guests did mention their beds being uncomfortable; ours was lovely. Extra pillows were to be found in the wardrobe but we requested more for extra comfort. These were brought to our room.

There was a bedside table/cabinet with a drawer in on either side of the bed. We each had a reading lamp and controls to operate the other lights in the room plus the light for the balcony.

The room had a comfortable chair in it. There was also a footstool type chair for use at the dressing table. I actually found this too low when drying my hair and applying make-up at the dressing table and so I swapped them over.

In the dressing table drawer a hair dryer was placed and attached inside. Next to the dressing table there was a mirror and a light above it.

The room contained a sofa bed.

Also in the room was a chest of drawers with tea and coffee making tray placed on top. There was a kettle, cups saucers and various sachets of tea and coffee plus milk and sachets of sugar.
A large plastic bottle of mineral water was supplied on our arrival. Literature we had been given on checking in informed us that if this bottle was empty and left outside the fridge it would be replaced.
Tea, coffee etc. was replenished throughout our stay. We never had to ask for more milk or sugar.

The wardrobe was large with a shelf and the doors opened out into the room. We had enough hangers for our clothes which is unusual.

The fridge was a decent size being large enough to hold bottled water, a bottle of orange squash and a litre carton of juice.

The safe was located above the fridge.

A further set of drawers was located under the fridge.
The fridge and safe were integrated into the wardrobe fitment and a door closed over them. I thought this made the room look neater.

There was plenty of room for storage in this room but then again there were only two of us. I think if we had stayed in this room with any of our children some years ago then we might have needed another chest of drawers, but then I think it’s rare to find adequate storage in hotels when there are more than two people using the room. But I would still say that this was one of the better hotels that I have stayed in in terms of room for clothes storage.

I thought that the air conditioning was good and used it often.

The room also had a telephone and a television. We didn’t watch the TV very often but did occasionally have Sky news on.

EN-SUITE

The bathroom was small but adequate, although I think I should mention that the bath was the narrowest I've ever come across. Even using to stand and shower (over bath shower) it was too narrow for comfort and I wonder how some of the more ample guests would have coped.
But the shower itself gave a good shower apart from on two occasions when I tried to shower earlier than usual in the evening. This must have been the most popular time as the shower came out as a mere drip or two and I had to wait and try again later.

There was a toilet and vanity sink unit in the room as well as a shaver point. Hand soap was supplied next to the basin in a wall dispenser as was shower gel/shampoo which was in a dispenser over the bath.
A small tablet of soap was also supplied.
Toiletries were replenished as necessary.
There were four towels in the bathroom, two small and two medium, and a bath mat.

BALCONY

The rooms have been recently refurbished at this hotel and I think the balcony furniture must have been renewed at the same time. This furniture consisted of a small table and two comfortable chairs.

I liked the balcony because it had enough room for two of us to sit and enjoy the wonderful view and, as it was well screened from the balconies either side, this afforded a good measure of privacy.

There was a rail to dry clothes/towels fixed onto a wall on the balcony although we took our own travel clothes line with attached pegs.

CLEANING OF ROOM

Towels were changed every day unless we left them folded on the towel rack.
Toilet tissue was always supplied.
Toiletry dispensers were refilled when necessary.
Our drinking water (in bottle) was refilled whenever we left it outside of the fridge.
I have always found Louis hotels very clean but I can honestly say that the maid who cleaned our room really surpassed herself.
Often in hotel rooms I see something that’s been missed but our room was thoroughly cleaned every day.
Sheets were also changed very often. I cannot say for sure how often bed linen was changed but it was often.
Any dirty cups (even our own mugs) were washed and dried. It really was a delight to enter our room after it had been cleaned.

ACCESS

I understand that the hotel has some specially adapted rooms. We became friendly with a family of three generations and the elderly grandmother was confined to a wheelchair. They said they coped well and were staying in a room in the main hotel. Their only grumble seemed to be that their beds weren't very comfortable.

I think that the reliability of the hotel lifts must have been a big help to disabled guests and for those with babies in pushchairs.

There were many bungalows on ground floor level.

I was impressed that the hotel had ramps fitted throughout.

The swimming pool was one of the easiest to access that I have come across. It had easy to ascend/descend steps rather than ladders and sturdy handrails.

GROUNDS

The grounds in the Louis Zante Beach Hotel are truly extensive and lovely. There are lawn areas, trees and flowers dotted around, a pleasant pool area with entertainment area nearby, and a further beach bar. This bar isn't actually on the beach but is close by and has a good view of the beach.

There are several ways to reach the beach and walking around the grounds is easy owing to many linked pathways.

SWIMMING POOL

The swimming pool had a life guard in attendance.
I loved the swimming pool although it wasn't the largest ever. For me, it was so easy to access by the shallow steps and hand rails. It looked clean; we saw the pool and surrounding areas being thoroughly cleaned every morning. The pool area was kept clean throughout the day too and the life guard regularly swept away puddles to keep the area as slip-free as possible.

There was a small children’s paddling pool close to the swimming pool.

The sun loungers were comfortable and the parasols attractive.

Although I appreciated this swimming pool I did think that the hotel should have had a second pool. We did find at times, especially during our first week, when the English and Welsh (not sure about Irish) schools were still on holiday, that the pool and its surrounds area became too noisy. This was really because of parents leaving pre-teens for too long to their own devices. Several people were disappointed that these older children didn’t seem to be checked and they did spoil the tranquillity of the hotel. The second week was more pleasant when most of the children staying were Scandinavians with children under school age (under seven) and young pre-school aged children from around Europe who weren't any trouble at all.

But I thought if the hotel had another pool it might have helped with this noise issue and been an improvement on the hotel, making it even nicer. Also, there were too many guests staying here in peak season, in my opinion, for just the one pool. The hotel certainly had enough room for another pool which could have been either an indoor or outdoor one.

SUN LOUNGERS

A big advantage to this hotel was the fact that one didn’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to secure a sunbed. The pool area was thoroughly
Cleaned every morning at around eight o'clock and towels seemed to be laid on beds from this time onwards.
We never had trouble finding two beds and a parasol together.

Sunbeds were placed around the pool and on the lawns.

ENTERTAINMENT

The daytime entertainment was excellent. The animators were a group of lovely and friendly young Italians and one Polish girl. I cannot praise them enough. They were charming and hard working. I felt that they spent time speaking to all guests and although we didn’t join in many daytime activities on this holiday we weren't forgotten and became friendly with the entertainers.

All guests were invited to participate in beach volleyball, football, killer darts, pool, table tennis, French boules, pool games, water aerobics and more but there was no pressure at all.

Animators worked hard in the evening too and put on some lovely shows.
We did think that the entertainment could have gone on a little later in the evenings.

ALL-INCLUSIVE OPTION

Food and drink is available at the Louis Zante Beach from breakfast through to supper snacks. Alcoholic beverages and soft drinks are available from ten in the morning until midnight. A pay bar is open until midnight.

Breakfast was taken in the restaurant at ground floor level in the main hotel building.

Lunch was served in the restaurant or beach bar.

Dinner was served in the main restaurant and consisted of self-service buffet and show cooking. Guests could eat in the Asian restaurant if previously booked.

Carafes or glasses of red and white wine were available at lunch and dinner as was beer, water, soft drinks and tea and coffee.

After dinner snacks consisting of sandwiches, crisps, and popcorn were available from the main bar area.
Afternoon cakes were served by the pool bar.
Drinks were served during the day from the poolside bar and also at the beach bar. In the evening drinks were available from the poolside bar near to the entertainment area and also from the main bar.
Waiter/waitress service was available by the main bar.
Local beer was on draught. The poolside bar served beer in small recyclable plastic glasses but in the main bar beer was served in ‘real’ glasses and either in a half or pint glass.

Overall we both thought that the drinks served in this hotel were mainly of a good standard and I am talking about Cocktails, spirits, wine (we thought the red wine was better than the white) juices, tea and coffee. Everything seemed to be included. The local draught beer was decent. I usually drank vodka or ouzo as well as sampling various cocktails. I enjoyed the cocktails as they were not overwhelmingly strong but pleasant.

Both my husband and I thought that the all-inclusive option at the Zante Beach was impressive. Most guests seemed to be staying here on an all-inclusive board basis.

FOOD (INCLUDING VEGETARIAN OPTIONS)

The vegetarian options weren't too bad although I do think the meat free options could be improved upon in the way of a larger choice. I would say that it is better than many hotels but not as good as two Louis hotels that I have stayed at in Paphos, Cyprus.

It was good that there was nearly always a pasta sauce (and pasta) suitable for vegetarians and there was also''' a vegetarian corner''' although I did sometimes struggle to find something I fancied. I think if the salad bar had offered a little more, perhaps in the way of quiche, more cheeses, tuna, then this would have better suited both vegetarians and omnivores. I thought the salad choices were disappointing although the sauces and dips were lovely.

There didn’t seem to be many complaints about the food but my husband and I were a little disappointed. We felt that food was cooked well enough but often there were weird choices for instance roast beef but only wedges to go with this and altogether some strange combinations. We also thought that the joints of meat on the carvery ran out too early and should have been replaced.

The food wasn't bad but we felt it could have been improved upon.

STAFF

We were very impressed with staff throughout the hotel; indeed we found cleaning staff, bar, waiting, reception and entertainment staff to all be polite, friendly and efficient.

FACILITIES

The hotel has an outdoor pool and paddling pool.

The sun loungers are free to guests around the pool and on the lawns but loungers and parasol are charged for on the beach. I believe proceeds go towards the preservation of turtles in the area.

There is a small games area for children.

Computers are available and Wi-Fi is at a charge. I bought internet cards at £5 and £10.

The hotel has a fully equipped gymnasium and this seemed popular with guests.

Darts

Table tennis

There is a diving centre located near to the pool with wet suit hire and diving lessons.

Car hire can be arranged near to the reception area.

Television room

Evening and daytime entertainment was available on every day of our stay.

Hair salon. The salon seemed to do a good business with gueasts and particularly wedding guests. It is uni-sex.

Children’s club.

There are two floodlit tennis courts in the hotel's grounds.

Wedding packages and services. The hotel is a popular venue for weddings.

Towel hire. We used this facility. We paid a deposit of ten Euros for each towel. The towels could be replaced every day for clean ones.

LOCATION

The hotel is beach-side and the beach here is long and of soft golden sand. The sea is clear very and easy to access with calm waters. When we were here (late August and September) the sea was wonderfully warm and inviting.

Water sports are not available because they would disturb the turtles in this area, which is an important nesting area for the loggerhead turtles. However, pedaloes can be hired and the hotel has a diving centre and small boats can be hired. A few metres from the hotel there is a small jetty where boat trips can be taken from.

Louis Zante Beach Hotel is located on the outskirts of Laganas and close to the small resort of Kalamaki. As it’s on the outskirts of Laganas it is fairly peaceful but still easy enough to travel to the main (and lively) Laganas strip or the lovely family resort of Kalamaki, or to Zante town.

From the front of the hotel there is a long driveway which leads to the main road and the start of shops, bars and restaurants.
It is more pleasant to walk a short distance along the beach where one will soon come across bars and shops.

GUESTS AT THE ZANTE BEACH

I thought that there was a good mix of nationalities staying at this hotel which I think makes things more interesting. It is nice, in my opinion, to meet people from other countries.

There were probably mainly British guests during our first week but there was more of a mix during the second week. We met Russian, Scandinavian, Greek, Dutch and German guests and some Spanish and Italian. There were many guests from Eastern Europe.

OVERALL

The Louis Zante Beach is a family hotel and we thought that the standard here was very good.

We would definitely consider returning to this hotel.

We loved the beach and the lovely grounds and most of all the service at the Zante Beach was excellent.

I liked our hotel room and was impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the hotel and grounds.

I also liked the fact that the hotel was close to the airport meaning that the transfer time was short.

We had a lovely holiday.

WEBSITE: http://www.louishotels.com