Love - Edward Monkton

Love - Edward Monkton

Review of "Love - Edward Monkton"

published 16/02/2009 | alienduck
Member since : 11/10/2008
Pro Charming, cute, funny, cheap, would make a good book
Cons Not everyone's taste
Readability
Would you read it again?
How does it compare to similar works?
How does it compare to works by the same author?

"You've Got To Love This Book Of Love"

I got this book as a gift for Valentines day, rather appropriately, as my partner knew I was a big fan of Edward Monkton. It was a sweet, charming and lovely gift that definitely put a smile on my face. So while it scored high on the sentinmental front, I felt I should rate it as a product too! It will be a shorter review than usual as it is a short book, but worthwhile reviewing I feel.

Edward Monkton

Edward Monkton is a persona created by Giles Andreae (creator of Purple Ronnie) described in the book as a 'poet, artist, philosopher and interesting fellow'. I'd definitely agree with the last one. The main place you'll see this style of work is on greetings cards. Each one has a doodle type picture, usually black and white, accompanied with an amusing, witty, charming, bizarre or clever description. Anyone who is familiar with these cards will understand the charm of his work, sure to put a smile on most people's faces. The style is very unique and quirky, and I have purchased lots of these cards for my friends for all occasions!

For an idea of his work you can visit his website at www.edwardmonkton.com

Love

So this book are all in the normal style of drawings, all individual works, and of course all about Love, as per the title and large heart on the front. It contains 14 different pieces which are beautifully presented in this small book.

While in my opinion some pages are not the best that Edward Monkton has to offer (hence the 4 stars) the book is still filled with charmers including The Potato of Love, A Love Chocolate, and Love Monkey as well as many more (and those I couldn't mention without titles!)

My favourite piece is called 'The Lovers' which reads 'Arm in arm they stand on the Sausage of love looking out together at the ketchup of their dreams' which made me burst out laughing the first time I read it!
Price

The cover price for this product is £5.99, but was available around Valentines Day for £5 in HMV, or is currently on Amazon for £4.50

The price is fair for what it is I feel. It contains 14 different 'drawings' presented with text on a double page spread, which is a lot as opposed to the greeting card prices, and the book itself is of high quality, with a very nice quality paper used as a book cover, with the main book cover being a hardback. The book doesn't have as much content as other books you could get for this price, but it's high quality content and simply adds to the charm of the book.

Other Products

There are many Edward Monkton greeting cards out there, as I've mentioned, but there are also now a lot of other books that have been released including The Pig of Happiness and A Lovely Love story, both short Edward Monkton stories and I Love You, a second collection of love pieces (which I got my partner for valentines!).

Summary

This book is perfect for someone you love as a gift, for valentines, a birthday or anniversary, or just for yourself if you're a fan of Edward Monkton, or just want a charming book! This is something you will read over and over again, just to make yourself smile. It may not be for everyone but for a lot of people this would be a perfect gift.

Overall I feel it's a great collection of Edward Monkton pieces which his fans will love, could be a great way to introduce someone to his work, or just to show someone how much you love them!

• ilusvm published 22/02/2009
    i absolutely love edward monkton stuff! particularly the deadly donkey - Beware the deadly donkey, falling from the sky, for you can choose the way you live my friend, but not the way you die!. love it. Em x
  • debmercury published 20/02/2009
    Great review :o) x
  • mythdata published 18/02/2009
    Fantastic very well written review.:O)

Product Information : Love - Edward Monkton

A collection of Edward Monkton's highly successful Valentine's cards collected together for the first time. Every day is a day for lovers but if there is one day of the year when this is doubly so it must be Valentine's Day. Chocolate flowers and a Valentine's Day card: what better way to tell that special someone that you love them? Give them a whole book of Valentine's Day cards that's how! This amazing and stylishly illustrated collection brings together all the joyous aspects of that magical connections between two people that we call Love. Connections feelings and life itself are beautifully recreated in Edward Monkton's simple philosophy about the age-old theme. The perfect gift for a special person the book is uniquely packaged to make the most of Edward Monkton's lovely line drawings.

Type: Poetry