Lovefilm.com(film)

Books, Movies & Music

Review of "Lovefilm.com(film)"

published 11/03/2004 | lrhhart
Member since : 01/08/2003
Good
Pro good selection of DVDs
Cons cheaper elsewhere, slow turnaround

"www.lovefilm.com"

This is a 'DVD-rental through the post' website.

I signed up to their service last year as it was the first time I'd come across an online DVD service - plus they had a very good 4 week free trial (since reduced to 2 weeks).

The idea is brilliant - you make a list of DVDs you want to watch (feature films, documentaries, TV series, music etc.) and they send you up to three. Once you've watched and returned one, they send you the next available on your list - all for a flat fee.

After your free trial, the fees are currently £9.99 for one at a time, £14.99 for 2 and £19.99 for 3.

The selection available is incredible, although I tested this by searching for the most obscure DVDs I could think of. The only one I couldn't find, an obscure Japanese import, has since been added. You will never find this kind of selection at your local DVD/Video store.

They have many lists of different recommendations - and interestingly have some individuals favourites (film critics and the like) and the site is very easy to navigate.

The films are sent out in small returnable envelopes and it really is so much more convenient to have your rentals brought to your door - a downside can be spending too much time in front of the TV, but then I'm sure I'd only be watching some other rubbish. At least you can choose the rubbish yourself here. (Yes there are all the top notch films you'd expect too!).

Some of the DVDs I have found in need of a good clean, which is perhaps a minor irritation. But the one problem that caused me personally to cancel my trial before I paid out any money, was the time that it took to send out the next DVD. Sometimes I would be waiting a whole week without any - they blamed the postal service but having used other DVD-rental services, I now believe its due to their administration. Perhaps I am being unfair though, as they must have a massive influx of new members as they have been pretty well advertised everywhere I look at the minute!

The website is perhaps more informative than some of the other DVD-rental sites - especially concerning the DVDs you mightbe interested in, and they encourage reviews, although many films have yet to see a review.

On the whole, I would recommend that people try out www.screenselect.co.uk - its cheaper, faster and, well isn't that enough?? Go for lovefilm.com's free trial and you can judge for yourself.

• mattydalton published 12/03/2004
    I'd much rather go to Blockbusters.
  • Purvika published 11/03/2004
    hmm good op, but I didn't enjoy the servies from this website, they have no contact numberand did not inform me of when I would receive my DVD's. But i'm glad you enjoy it.
  • Louise90 published 11/03/2004
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look at this website. Louise. x