sottovoce... 4

sottovoce82

Member since:13.05.2007

Fall in Love with It

01.12.2007

Advantages:
Cheap and easy way to rent DVD's, good customer service

Disadvantages:
When the company makes mistakes, you lose money  +  the customer is pampered only at first

44 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  3. vids
  1. Averilla
  2. jesi

<<< REGISTERING >>>

This is very easy; all you have to do is to give your name, address, and payment method, in addition to your email address and password, and you are given 14 days free rental of your choice.

<<< WEBSITE >>>

The website is very easy to navigate and everything you need is at your finger tips. The main six tabs on the left include: 1- Home: in which you find your recommendations which are based on what you rented and liked before, new releases, popular links and so on. 2- Browse titles: action, comedy, drama, adult (don't believe it), etc. 3- My rental list: which is the most important section, and I will elaborate on it more later on. 4- Magazine: news and the like 5- Gifts: in which you can claim or buy subscription to DVD or games rental 6- Shop: For buying DVD's.

To go back to (My rental list) which you will be using all the time, to rent DVD's you should have a list of at least ten films you want to watch, and your partner (or friend etc..) can have an additional list too. These can be arranged according to the priorities you choose; high (as soon as possible), medium (when available) and low (later), but don't expect to receive your DVD's in this order all the time; in fact I found out that these are not important at all. This tab also shows you the DVD's you have at home with a link next to them to report a problem or to ask for more envelopes (as most people know, the DVD's are sent back to lovefilm by free first class mail).

On the right, you find links that help you manage your account: change your password, payment method, packages, address, and here also you can cancel your account.

<<< BUNDLES - DVD'S >>>

LOVEFiLM 3.99:
1 DVD at once - 2 per month - £3.99 - Billed every 1 month

LOVEFiLM 7.99:
2 DVD's at once - 4 per month - £7.99 - Billed every 1 month

Unlimited 1:
1 DVD at once - Unlimited per month - £9.99 - Billed every 1 month

Unlimited 2:
2 DVD's at once - Unlimited per month - £12.99 - Billed every 1 month (this is the one I chose)

Unlimited 3:

Combination 3:
3 Discs at once - Unlimited per month - £18.99 - Billed every 1 month

<<< pre-pay >>>

3 months:
Price (inc discount) £33.12 - Saving (15% off)

6 months:
Price (inc discount) £64.95 - Saving 1 month FREE

12 months:
Price (inc discount) £129.90 - Saving 2 months FREE

<<< PROBLEMS >>>

This might be the most important section in this review, for as I mentioned earlier, these mistakes result in waiting which in turn means losing money.

1- DVD does not work.
It's good to take a look at the DVD before you watch it and try to find out if it was slightly broken or has cracks on it. They say on the site that small scratches don't affect the quality of the DVD… Well, and sometimes they do. In this case all you have to do is to notify them through your account online using (report problem) and they send another DVD from your list and ask you to return the damaged one. Of course, here also you have the option of adding the same title you couldn't watch to your list again.

2- DVD lost in the post.
I thought that one of my DVD's was lost in the post, so I waited for 4 days and reported it. I was told that I would be sent a form to fill in, but before receiving it I got my lost DVD, and of course they send you an additional film from your list till the problem is sorted out.

3- Wrong DVD.
This was terrible, for it happened twice. Some titles are shared by more than one DVD and they might send you the wrong one. It happened when I wanted to rent Pasolini's The Canterbury Tales, but they sent me the animated version of The Canterbury Tales (1998; with the voices of Sean Bean and others) and I was really annoyed, not just because they did this twice before they send the right one, but also because there was no way I could get myself to watch the wrong DVD. It is the kind of animation that I used to consider as scary when I was young (I guess I still do). P.S. Yes I watched Salo and read The 120 Days of Sodom, and many others, and was not scared, but those dreadful animations with disfigured people in them are another thing.

4- Problem in logging in.
Once I couldn't log in when they updated the site. I applied the instructions they explained on the site but this didn't work, so I contacted customer service and they solved the issue quickly.

<<< RANGE OF DVD'S >>>

They claim to have + 60.000 titles, that is more than what you find in the other sites, but do they? I don't know; I only remained with Lovefilm for six month so I didn't have the chance to count them, but they do have a wide range of films and impressive new releases. Action, Comedy, Drama, Horror, Thriller, and even Television sections are good. Foreign movies section (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and Swedish) is fine, but can be better, especially that sometimes censorship makes the film meaningless; I know it's not LoveFilm's fault, but this does affect our appreciation of the movie. There's a special section for Indian Cinema, but because I don't watch Indian movies at all I cannot discuss it. In addition to this, having a section for Gay/lesbian movies is very good, I think. As for the adult movies, don't be attracted by the naughty titles; they are mostly old softcore films of the yawn type, or new again softcore ones of the everything-is-hidden-by-an-arm-or-a-leg-or-a-head type that makes you more tense.

<<< Cancellation >>>

In (My Account) section you'll find a link that allows you to cancel the account, but this link does not always work. Sometimes this link only leads you to the phone number of customer service and you can call them, give them your details and the reason why you want to cancel. Here you should be patient a little, for the process takes some time; spelling your name and waiting for the employee to put your details on the system. The employee then will give you an offer (I guess 3 months for the price of 1) and of course you can simply say no. One thing more, remember to cancel at least one week before the end of your subscription, and cancel immediately after you send back the last DVD's you have. Almost as soon as they receive their DVD's they will send you a confirmation email:

"We are sorry to see you go but we can confirm that your account is now cancelled and no further discs will be sent out to you.
We hope that you have enjoyed using the LOVEFiLM service and the door is always open for you to come back to us whenever you wish. Simply login to www.lovefilm.com using your usual details and you will be able to reactivate your account online.
Hope to see you back with us in the future."

And I personally think that being able to access your account is great in case you decided to go back to lovefilm; something I might do myself. Here I have to add that I read the reviews of some people who had problems with cancellation that's why I cancelled one week before the end of my subscription and received the confirmation within 24 hours of sending the DVD's back.

If you log in to your account after you cancel, there will be a link for reactivating, so things are quite simple.

<<< 6 MONTHS AND 14 DAYS >>>

The first 14 days of my subscription were free trial, and the next 6 months were a great special offer 33% off. During this period, keeping in mind that in the last month I didn't have the time to watch anything, I received 46 DVD's, which is not bad at all, specially that the whole thing cost me around £52.00. This means that I rented the DVD for less than £1.20.

<<< WARNING >>>

In your first free trial you'll notice that things are going swimmingly; the mistakes start to happen when you decide to stick to this service and pay. I know that this is not very respectable of them and it did annoy me at first, but we are old enough to know that we are ruled by capitalism and its laws.

<<< RECOMMENDED? >>>

It depends on how much disorder you can take. Anyway, apart from that, let's weigh the cons and pros: It is much cheaper than renting DVD's from your local store and easier. You can keep the DVD as much as you want, but of course you'd always prefer to return it quickly to rent another one. Yet, it's a relationship between you and the company that involves the post as well (strikes and stuff).

Happy viewing!

RazzaLazza 20.12.2007 23:54

I've been meaning to check this site out for quite a while now! Will have to give it a go. Rich

fabgirly 12.12.2007 19:25

Great review! I haven't used one of these sites yet and still pop to the shops to rent DVD's but this one sounds like its worthing giving it a go!

jesi 09.12.2007 02:28

l had membership on the one disk unlimited package ~ but two were faulty; they replaced "Seabiscuit" feature film with "Seabiscuit" documentary, twice ~ l mean, l enjoyed it, in fact, better than the feature (which l eventually saw a week or so ago, from "MyMovieStream") which LOVEFiLM never sent; and films never arrived ~ l gave up membership after my DVD player disappeared while l was house-sitting ~ and my husband (left at home because he had to go to work) knew nothing about it. ~ ! ♥♥ ! ~ ........................................................... ~ jes ~ ! ♥♥ !