Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag

Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag

Review of "Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag"

published 24/06/2015 | dobieg
Member since : 31/01/2003
I'm a miserable old git. I'm ashamed to say it's been a **** very **** long time since I reviewed my "trusts", have sought to rectify this by going through every review I've written in the past couple of years, if you feel hard-done-by, drop me a note.
Pro Spacuius, unobtrusive
Cons not the right size to strap a folded tripod to, nothing else though
Size
Batterylife
Weight

"Bigger than you might think"

Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag - not drawing attention to itself

Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag - not drawing attention to itself

The Lowepro Nova 180 AW camera bag is a bit of a ‘tardis” in as much as it seems a lot bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

It describes itself as being suitable for one DLSR and a bunch of lenses, but in actual fact it carries much, much more than that.

Keen readers of Ciao will know I recently added to my collection of digital SLR kit, I now have two Nikon D-series bodies, and a few lenses. I also carry the other clutter and nonsense most semi-serious snappers do, namely spare batteries, filters, phones, binoculars, table tripods, trombones and computer cables (OK, I lied about the trombones!)

I’ve been collecting photo junk for more years tan my better half cares to recall.
It all started quite innocently, I had a 35mm SLR and a couple of lenses, that went in a traditional Aluminium flight case, as was the fashion in the 1970s – best part of that setup was that being relatively short of stature, the box could double up as a table/ step/ shield, depending on the circumstances you found yourself in.

Fashion changed, and the trend was for ‘padded holdall’ style cases, these had compartments for you camera body, additional storage for lenses and the rest of the junk, but they were principally intended for a single body and several lenses (bodes being relatively expensive) The camera nearly always lay horizontally along the length of the case.

More recently I’ve been using “top loading” cases – where camera and zoom lens fitted into a padded ‘holster’ – unzip the lid, and there was the back of the camera all ready to use. I liked that format, but I could only get one camera in at a time, and there was no room for extra lenses.

“Trendy” bags nowadays tend to be of the ‘haversack’ design, I have no time for these as I hate dangling straps and having to wrestle my way out of them, besides at times I like to have my gear exactly where I can see it!

The Lowepro Nova uses the same “toploading” format as the “TLZ” range, but there’s plenty of room for two cameras with lenses fitted.
Inside, there are the ubiquitous Velcro style padded dividers, the case has a holster style cover, secured by a single snap buckle, and for added security, the whole compartment can be zipped closed.

Compartments and pockets abound on the bag, from the elasticated mesh on the sides (best for water bottles or cans of fizzy pop) deeper ones which are excellent for compact binoculars, and flat document compartments for travel papers, maps tickets and passports.

On the top is a fabric handle, and on each side a metal D-ring which allows the substantial adjustable padded strap to connect with spring loaded clips.
At the back of the bag is a ‘sleeve’ which allows you to slot the bag onto an extending suitcase handle.

Best of all, is the “AW” (allweather) cover – concealed within one of the pouches is a grey ripstop nylon cover which will protect your camera kit from water splashes. They’ve gone to some effort to make sure the buckle can still be accessed by cutting some reinforced holes for the closure.

I’ve used Lowepro bags for around ten years now – I like the practical detailing, and the build and material quality is second to none.

I like the fact they don’t have flashy logos, and they don’t scream “hey look, this is some substantially expensive gear over here!”

I always have my bags in black, if I happen to be shooting at anything reflective, I don’t want my bag showing up in the picture, but if black isn’t your thing, it also comes in grey, steel blue, olive green and maroon. The waterproof cover is always battleship grey.

The fact that these are meant for ‘DSLR’ cameras means you quite clearly aren’t prepared to make compromises on your camera equipment, why should your bag be any different? They don’t exactly follow convention, but rather, the design concept has been worked out from first principles, and is meant to provide maximum accessibility whilst providing maximum protection.

I’ve only just taken delivery of my bag, I’ve not used it in the field in anger, but it just feels ‘right’ – big enough to tale my stuff, small enough not to draw too much attention to itself. Big enough for two bodies, zoom lenses and the usual nonsense, not so big that anyone else notices it.

List price is about £70, street price nearer £50.

I’ve always reckoned that camera bags should cost around 10% of the value of the kit they contain, this bag seems an absolute bargain then!

• fatboyslim published 04/01/2016
    VH.
  • cath_del published 22/10/2015
    VH
  • StewwyB published 20/07/2015
    vh

offers "Lowepro Nova 180 AW Shoulder Bag"