Review of "Lucozade Sport"

published 26/06/2003 | penguinchickalata
Member since : 30/05/2003
Good
Pro tastes good
Cons quite expensive

"i do no sport"

Today I was on my way to work when I realised I was very thirsty. So I popped into WH Smiths in Glasgow’s Central Station to get something to drink. Being a Ribena addict I went straight for it- but, alas, there was none to be had! In a bit of panic I thought I need an alternative. Not being a fizzy drink drinker I looked for something still and decide to buy Orange flavoured Lucozade sport.

I opened it up (with no problems at all- unlike some bottles of juice I have bought in the past) as soon as I had coughed up £1.35 for the 500 ml bottle (very expensive I feel but thirst has to be quenched and I had disobeyed my thirst by not buying Sprite so I suffered by paying more) and took a few large gulps.

It was actually quite pleasant. It had just come from the fridge and was very refreshing and tasted quite nice. I was satisfied, so I put the screw cap lid back on and put it into my bag and continued my walk in the sun to work.

After starting work I was thirsty again- but this may have something to do with the warm weather and the fact that I work in a call centre, talking to people. I turned again to the Lucozade and once again it did its job of getting rid of my thirst. It continued in this fashion till about 4 hours into my shift when I took a drink and…. Euch…. It was warm!!!!! The pleasant thirst quenching was no more. Now it was clingy in my mouth and downright disgusting. Into the bin it went and I had to content myself with water.

Now I know it says on the bottle it increases endurance by 33%, and I can only assume it means in sports (it certainly didn’t increase my endurance of work), so I cannot fairly analyse this claim. It does say on the back that it tackles “depletion of energy stores and dehydration” and that it was proven to improve sporting endurance by 33% compared to water in 1995. I suppose I can only take their tiny word on that (the information on the label is tiny and difficult to read) or if I cared that much I could check out their website www.lucozadesport.com.

Boring bit… the nutritional facts…(per 100ml)
Energy: 118 kjl or 28 calories to you and me
Sodium: 50 mg
Potassium: 8.8 mg
Calcium: 2.0 mg
Magnesium: 0.6 mg

The bottle itself is quite chunky and has a blue screw lid on a clear bottle. The label goes round the lower half of the bottle and is quite dark with the blue lucozade guy (as I like to call him now) dashing away with a big Lucozade sport motif. The flavour is Orange Body Fuel and it tells me it is my sport and their science (well actually Your Sport. Our Science)- so that’s me told! The juice itself is … surprise surprise… orange coloured.

Overall the drink is ok but definitely tastes better if you follow their advice and refrigerate once opened!! I think I’ll need to get a portable fridge, but how would I manage that if I were a sportsperson trying to improve my endurance without the use of steroids- while maintaining that refreshing quality???!!! Buy it if your thirsty, have a spare pound coin and change and a portable fridge.

Increasing your endurance is available at all major supermarkets and newsagents now for about £1 to £1.50 (depending on where you shop).

• thingywhatsit published 23/10/2003
    This stuff tastes like nats pee !!!
  • Vixen84 published 08/09/2003
    Lucozade was given to most kids when they were ill, usually wtih the cold or a sore tummy lol. i also remember the glass bottles and the smaller foil cartons. To me if we all felt better when our parents gave us lucozade, perhaps it does indeed increase endurance lol. anyway good op, i love the stuff when its cold.
  • Sandman published 07/08/2003
    A completely random and bizarre conclusion!! well done!!